AQ Owners, How Stable Is Your Machine In Salt Water?

2 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

I don't think it is to small for I remember years ago when I did hunt the ocean the Excalibur 800 with the 7.5 inch coil did as well as the stock 10 on finding gold. But one thing for sure,..... in my head I always wanted to grab the 10 first thinking it would be better..

Ah Joe. Anything less than a 10 inch coil and it feels like I am out there with a teaspoon. 

To be honest. I feel a 12.5" and 8" coil at the beach are both worthless for me. There is just no way to sugar coat it. 😒

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, midalake said:

Ah Joe. Anything less than a 10 inch coil and it feels like I am out there with a teaspoon. 

To be honest. I feel a 12.5" and 8" coil at the beach are both worthless for me. There is just no way to sugar coat it. 😒

Every beach is different so I am sure your right where you hunt. And I agree, when you got that small coil it seems like your swinging a hockey puck. Those were my thoughts walking out the door with the small 7.5 excalibur coil.....😬..But for some reason I did fairly well with it........So the size you think would be best for you would the 9.5? 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Every beach is different so I am sure your right where you hunt. And I agree, when you got that small coil it seems like your swinging a hockey puck. Those were my thoughts walking out the door with the small 7.5 excalibur coil.....😬..But for some reason I did fairly well with it........So the size you think would be best for you would the 9.5? 

I will agree every beach is different and someone is reading this thinking I have two heads. 😁  I personally would not even consider a coil 12" or over, have not even owned a 12" coil in 15-20 years. There have been several detectors I have not purchased because there were no coils less than 12" 

9.5" to 11" would be my preferred size. I am with water contact on every hunt. This size of coil transitions well going into the water and doing wet sand. 

Dave

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Im with Joe......i like a 9" or even a 10 for water hunting.  With this machine im not sure we arent still ring hunting...... not micro gold hunting so the sensitivity and even the separation from that small of a coil isnt as important as a bit more depth and coverage.   Depth.....and a bit of disc, thats what we are all wanting this machine for.   Ive seen it with the MDT..... when there were fewer out there..... just wasnt getting any info out there to help the designer or those who were considering purchase.    Long shore drift and the wave line can make some machines loose targets and pushing a large coil can get tuff and is really hard on equipment like cuff and shaft.   Cliff....im not sure there isnt going on with that coil...... but could be the GB since the Aqua Star im told had some issues as well.   I agree with Steve ..... id sure like to know sooner than later about  issues that could affect my hunting with the machine and what i can do about it ..... especially if its ME lol.

• Like 1

My opinion ...... I think the 8 inch will be perfect in the water for most. ....reason, coil control, swing speed. 

then being able to use "More" of it's Raw power.

And I believe it would be the smallest usable size that would help others in high salt area's and still be a decent size to swing..

Anything bigger is taking a big chance.

Once all of this stuff has settled Dew .............. I'll see how the 8 does  I "may" have a 10 made...

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Once all of this stuff has settled Dew and I see how the 8 does  I "may" have a 10 made...

Dew has an AQ??? 

Where is an "order form" to get a custom coil made? How does that work? 😲

17 minutes ago, midalake said:

Dew has an AQ??? 

Where is an "order form" to get a custom coil made? How does that work? 😲

Sorry Corrected.......that should be ........ I'll see how the 8 does...

No order forum, there are a few ..One I do know of and I am sure he would love to get his hands on the AQ, but he has some years on him. Then add in the virus thing...which  complicates everything. 

Been looking for coil connector  trim tone looked at a few but have not found one with gold pins yet I wilL make one and See which one is best for salt shielding

but right trying to get connectors for battery headphones to make Super Pack 

jimpughimage.thumb.jpg.2c43a63ee36237839f473fb95ddb43fd.jpg

• Like 3

Mr. Goldmaster is an example of a highly successful hunter who only uses a small coil--so it can be done.   I ran the Cuda with an 8" coil for years and did really well with it too.  However you run a pulse for depth--no way to sugar coat that either--and an oceangoing pulse needs to be designed with stability as a first consideration--not an afterthought to any other performance features.  This is why I"m afraid to post here--or on the FB--my opinion is viewed as either good copy or potential detraction when the simple fact is that the "jury is still out."  Besides, I sell books, not detectors--books about those machines that sell a lot.  Not by coincidence--these tend to be machines that are versatile.   Based upon my experience with various pulse machines --I would say that a 10" coil would be more manageable in fast salt--and still accomplish some coverage.  The SMPI Diver is that size and one of the most stable and effective coils made.   I'm glad to see Jim doing well with this machine--he's a pulse "master" and I respect his opinion greatly.  If this detector (in its present form) is adequate for his needs--it's more than adequate for mine.  How his experience will translate to the wider, less skilled general market remains to be seen.  We are already seeing examples of "average" hunters who are not sure how to apply this machine to (their specific) fast salt conditions.  I will say that these machines tend to be more stable in deep water--as Jim alluded to.  Accommodating the market's needs falls to the manufacturer--not the other way round.   cjc

• Like 4

The surf will definitely "talk" to you with the AQ. It doesn't sound like a target, more like a siren, so, not a big issue with me. My problem with the AQ is manifold, but, the salinity reaction is nothing much different than other surf machines I've used. I went out with it last night (actually 2am this morning) to hit the minus tide. Hunted a popular area from high slope to thigh deep in moderate surf. Still not finding any good deep targets that my other machines wouldn't find, and without the annoyance of a PI. machine. Deep iron? Sure, it's great for that, but, who cares? I pulled the battery off the charger as I walked out the door. Got 2 hours and 45 minutes on it before it went dead. Just pitiful. I guess I'm still not a PI guy, at least not an AQ guy. This is about the 5th PI machine I've tried, and don't find it any better overall than the others. Too much work and not enough fun.