AQ Owners, How Stable Is Your Machine In Salt Water?

On 8/22/2020 at 2:30 AM, Willy said:

Could you please precisely describe the conditions and settings you are using and the results you get in terms of background noise.

If you do not have too many troubles in the same conditions, please do report as well.

Even if you do not usually go into the surf, please make a try to help us diagnose any potential problem.

A supplementary test much easier to do is to set the system in full sensitivity and ALL metal and pinch several times the coil sides with your finger. if there is a default in the internal shielding of the coil, the system should react by a clear beeping else no problem. In the latter case, the coil should probably also not react under the salt water.

As shown by Le Jag on the short video above, the system should not react at all when the coil is submerged in f moving sea water . If any one AQ reacts, it could be that its coil has a problem of inside shielding continuity.

Rick, 

Can you help us gathering the results of this poll?

Thanks

Conditions change daily ..

The last two outings, same spot ..Water Salinity here is 28 to 30..considered brackish. Hunting waist/chest/ shoulder deep 2 hunts

08/20/2020...........17 gram Class ring, calm water..low winds..SE 4 mph 

Delay was 10 today, ATS I did play with but ended up set on 7, sensitivity was around 6, volume 8, threshold I did play with some also. But ended up just below 5, audible. All Metal only..

AQ worked perfect, Smooth

08/22/2020.......2....14k wedding bands...12 mph SE winds ..semi-rough water

Delay 11.5....ATS 6.....Sensitivity 6, .......volume 8...........threshold 4-5 just audible ..All Metal only

AQ ran very smooth after adjusting the delay to 11.5

• Like 1

OBN,

Nice hunts and thanks for setting info to add to my notes.

I hear what you are saying ...yes ... but. The salinity chart shows the Florida Gulf not as high as NC and SC coast. I don't know the sand / ground conditions in Pensacola, but on a couple of trips I hunted Panama City Beach and parts east to Mexico Beach Florida with the HHPulse with the 11 inch coil. I know it isn't the same animal as the AQ, and a couple of trips is not like living there, but it did not sound close to max on the wash, let alone just by moving the coil in deeper water (not wash). If coil was presented thoughtfully in the water, up to shoulder deep, it would make some slowly growing and falling sound on the wave movement but was easy to distinguish targets. What Deborah describes is entirely different than what others are reporting. I sincerely hope FT team finds a little manufacturing process to "fix". They are showing what looks like incredible customer support.

• Like 1

To echo what Joe said, to de tune the detector would be an injustice. I do wish the 8” coil miraculously became a 10”. 😀

• Like 5

9 hours ago, deborah195412 said:

Delays range from 7-11.5 uS. I think a smaller coil would solve the problem. 

11.5 uS......Wow...my TDI BH would be screaming and squawking like a flock of angry seagulls. That is my setting for the low tide beach areas.

• Like 2

Mine doesn't seem to react in the coil pinch test, but, I may have to repeat the test at another location. I have had quite a bit of EMI around my yard at various times, so, my recent tests there are suspect. I went in my back yard and away from anything metal to do the test. Turned on the machine, all metal, sensitivity maxed out, held the coil up horizontal at chest height, and all it did was squawk. A lower pulsating tone was constant, and if I swung the coil in any direction, it was like I ran over a huge piece of metal. Like I said, I'll try it at another location that I know to be free of EMI and any nearby metal and report back. In my surf hunts, it's pretty noisy in moving salt water. Each wave gives a siren sound regardless of settings. Turning things down helps, but, doesn't eliminate the falsing completely.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Back in the water today with my new replacement coil. I was unable to get into the Gulf due to the rough water. I was able to get into the sound and check out the new coil. There was definitely a difference today. I went through testing all the different modes and settings. Still was not very stable in the all metal mode. Settings - Sens 3,Pulse delay-11.5, ATS- 10. I was able to get the most stability in the Volcanic Sand Mode. Sensitivity- 5, ATS-9, Pulse Delay - from 7-11.5 uS Usable over the full range. The higher the pulse delay setting, the more stable it is, I can hunt in this mode just fine. Still cannot vary the coil height much while sweeping the coil,but better than the other modes. All of the modes were a little better this time out. Another factor that may be involved is we have had lots of rain in the last week. Im looking forward to trying it in the Gulf when the water calms down. I am still unable to use the full capability of the machine in the other modes. I still think a smaller coil will help in the other modes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I believe Alexandre answered this question from you in another thread about the AQ. Yes 11.5 is actually 15 according to Alexandre.

• Like 1

Might be easier if everyone dropped the reference to 11.5.......I wasn’t sure if it applied to all released AQ machines......hence the question 👍

5 minutes ago, Tony said:

Might be easier if everyone dropped the reference to 11.5.......I wasn’t sure if it applied to all released AQ machines......hence the question 👍

Call it fully clockwise and that's it😉

• Like 3