Shocked To Find These Things In My Tiny Front Lawn...

digger1955

Watched this vid then went out to the most scoured and hunted to death place I know...my tiny front lawn.

Not saying everything he says or does in this vid is gospel or will work in all dirt everywhere but he has his theories and what he does the way he does them works for him and he manages to find some great things in a few very hunted out parks so I got inspired to try to find just anything in my very difficult SE. mineralized devil dirt.
After several years of scouring this tiny patch of land for many hours with 6 different detectors and tons of different coils and digging all decent signals I am down to the the odd, weird, strange, severely masked and incomprehensible ones only.
I watched this vid, got inspired, and went out to try to find one decent target using some of his advice...just one.
I didn't do exactly everything I saw done in this vid, that turning thing and examining targets from more than one angle always worked well for me here but my dirt is way weirder than his and I tried a few things but the most important point I attempted to do and prove to myself was just slow down...examine targets a bit more closer, don't just blow off jumpy signals or others that don't make sense.
Not that I really ever do that but on this hunt I looked at each signal I got with a more critical eye and attitude than usual.
Could still be junk hiding down there, could be wasting a bit more time over some iffy targets but none of my hunts are timed events, I just go out and get signals and decide whether to dig....or not.
If it takes a little more time to figure out a confused signal, site or situation so be it.
The rewards for extra patience might be nothing but maybe, just maybe...they could be great.

My Nox had the sniper mounted, I did a factory reset before the hunt to start with a clean plate and didn't modify too many of the factory settings.
I hunted in 5 tones, Park 2, usually I use Field 2 but changed it up a bit on this one....I left the horseshoe on through most of this short hunt.

Fe was at 6, recovery at 5, switched to Fe2 after awhile and eventually maxed it out along with the recovery but didn't find much else after these four targets showed up. All these targets were found in Multi...single frequency hunting just doesn't seem to work very well around here at all with the Nox.

It wasn't all peaches and cream, I still got fooled on a couple of rusty nails and a few small and crazy tiny pieces of iron but not all that much, dug very little trash that wasn't iron so I was happy with that.
The 1953 nickel was the absolute first target dug, short, sweet, jumped a bit from 11-13 and a bit iffy unlike most of my usually solid nickel signals but when this thing popped up first thing I was actually shocked and thrilled.
The lead hem weight was an older one, #4, nice and heavy and really jumpy initially but solid once I dialed the coil into its location.
The dime is modern but hiding in a tiny crack vertical between the grass and  the curb.
The older Naval button was the prized treasure of this hunt, the only one I have ever found.
Faces to the left so pre WW ll as they changed the eagle from looking left in 1941 to looking to its right.
Don't believe civil war and could be anywhere from 1850 to 1941...but I am thinking maybe around or a bit later than WW l on this one.
Mower hit but sweet find never the less.

Kept switching between 4kHz and Multi checking out many targets, other frequencies too, I still don't see a whole lot of advantage to me in my sites using 4kHz or any other single frequency but I still switch to them to check some signals and will continue to do that until I see something positive or just lose patience and give up.

Basically, my point of this post is just to urge you to look a bit closer at some of your signals, with a bit of extra attention and coil manipulation signals can change from initially good to bad or, hopefully, from initially bad to good.
Also to thank this hunter for taking the time to make this vid and I enjoyed seeing another hunter's thought process, experience and skill on display.
If any of us take just one thing, idea or insight from watching the vid that could make a difference for any of us even on just one stellar piece of future treasure it will be 49 minutes well spent.

photostudio_1597754704522.jpg

• Like 6

Thanks!

Found another big general service coat button hunting a curb strip next to a small park about 10 days ago, probably around WWll vintage or so because I find them  here and there pretty regularly especially in private front lawns and always a nice find but no longer all that exciting for me.

When this thing popped up I saw it was different and after I cleaned off the crusty dirt I saw the anchor.

Always nice to find a first...anything.

There’s just a plethora of Nox videos on YouTube today... Back in 2007, when I started using a Minelab detector (Explorer), there were very few good YouTube videos available to watch.....I learned all the nuances of how to hunt with my FBS machine thru trial and error, and countless hours of digging “iffy” signals...the Minelab “wiggle” became a mainstay in my detecting, and it was a very critical aspect to the success of my hunting. Checking/identifying questionable/partially masked targets 360 degrees (from all directions) in order to arrive at a dig/no dig conclusion should be incorporated by every hunter, including every Multi-IQ hunter.

Ironically,  this NW Detector sales Video (above), along with other vids by this person, started showing up in my YT suggested viewing list a couple weeks ago...This guy seems to have figured out on his own what I had learned 13 years ago also.

With regards to single/multi-frequency modes on the Nox, I have learned (out in the field and from the Nox manual) that multi-freq will produce more accurate target id’s than single frequency will.  Also larger coils, like the one the guy in the video above was using will make separating co-located targets more difficult than smaller coils..I think most hunters know this already though.....Also, on the Nox, the recovery speed setting greatly affects how you hear closely located targets, so be aware of that (higher recovery speed=better target separation, but sacrifices overall depth)....I’ve watched that NW Detector Sales guy in a few of his videos use very low recovery speed settings on his Nox, which allows the machine to hear deeper targets, but also prevents separation of co-located targets.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FloridaSon said:

@digger1955 What is a sniper?

Smaller coil for hunting around and inbetween the massive iron and trash deposits I usually hunt in.

Works great, always been a big fan and all my detectors have sniper coil options because I have always been a dyed-in-the-wool jewelry hunter and as such tend to hunt some of the most trashiest sites I can find because that is where an awful lot of jewelry tends to hide...or tries to. 

Snipers just make it easier.

1 hour ago, FloridaSon said:

Ah got it. Yes that makes sense. Now I see why it is called the sniper. Good hunting!

Thanks!

To illustrate the point and pile drive it completely into the ground here is a family pic I gathered up several years ago from a few finds I dug hunting around my most favorite site of all to hunt for jewelry...the perimeters of just 9 basketball courts. These tend to be one of the trashiest sites you can come across, just the new ones are usually totally trashed out but try hunting one that is decades old and the amount of trash you might deal with could be...daunting.

Bottle caps galore, tabs of every age, kind and flavor, foil and can slaw that can dive you nuts and so much more. Just a byproduct of the kind of activity that happens around these things.

Another type of target you can find hiding among the trash might also be jewelry because many players take that stuff off and stash it in small piles of clothes they tend to deposit around these perimeters, shirts, coats and whatever, to keep it all safe so they won't lose it when they are playing. Luckily for us many times these players forgot they hid  their jewelry in these piles and it falls out when they pick up those clothes or it falls out somewhere along the way on the paths they take walking back to their vehicles in the parking lots.

These were all found after mounting a sniper coil on only one of my old detectors, the great and usually very underrated Fisher F2. I got the 4" sniper in a two coil deal when I bought the thing and only used the 8" coil for over a year because the sniper was cute but looked so small I thought it was a joke. One day I mounted it as a lark and went back to a trashy picnic site next to a pavilion I thought I had hunted to death but the site came alive again and I found a shocking amount of coins and targets I missed with the bigger coil due to masking issues. After that the sniper became my prime weapon on all my detectors most of the time unless I am looking for the deepest targets.

I hunted basketball courts with the bigger coil at first, found several coins and a few other things but none of this kind of quality stuff or the many that came after showed up until I switched over to the sniper.

I am mostly a sniper guy still to this day...no apologies and never a regret.

BEST BASKETBALL COURT FINDS2 newest.jpg

• Like 4

On 8/19/2020 at 9:35 AM, digger1955 said:

...The most important point I attempted to do and prove to myself was just slow down....

Good post!  I haven't watched the video yet (I'm on my way to the park as soon as finish this cup of coffee).

If I take only one piece of advice from your post and the video (I'm sure I'll find more), the one I selected above is going to be it.

21 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Good post!  I haven't watched the video yet (I'm on my way to the park as soon as finish this cup of coffee).

If I take only one piece of advice from your post and the video (I'm sure I'll find more), the one I selected above is going to be it.

Thanks...if there is one life lesson that affected me the most and had a significant effect on all that came after was this one. Ten years ago when I started I found a lot but without realizing it from the get-go I was always swinging too fast. I found plenty of targets but one day at a site I hit many times and thought I drained and I was finished with it, a large parking lot at a high school divided up by many grass filled islands, I went back for the last time just to see if I could find just a few more targets. The difference in this hunt is I decided to slow down to half the speed I was swinging before and I had an eye opening experience that shocked and humbled me. The site came alive with targets and I mean an unbelievable amount like never before.

Not only did I find three times the coins I found on any previous hunt but other things started to show up. I continued to come back many times after this and eventually found about $40 more in clad, 4 or 5 silver rings, two silver chains and 2 gold rings plus a ton of fashion jewelry, school medallions and pins, tools and a whole lot more. On my first several hunts I covered all of these things per hunt, after I slowed down and concentrated on covering maybe just 1/2 of one of the big ones instead the magic started to happen.

I still swing a bit too fast if I don't watch myself, the targets from my lawn proved this, but when I control myself, have patience and do this right some great things can happen.

photostudio_1597960697403.jpg

• Like 2