Finding Musket Bullets / Balls On Fields With Equinox 800?

Hello

On 8/25/2020 at 4:58 PM, nordic said:

Just to add, worth checking detecting laws, archaeological zones in Sweden. If you find a lot of musket balls, the site could be of an archaeological/historical interest and one can get into trouble detecting there. Some countries are stricter than others.

Good point Nordic, thank you.

If you want to be discreet when looking for metal. Do you guys think it might be a good idea to take a thin garbage bag around the detector, so it is not visible what it is you are holding? It should be fine to search anyway, or do you think it damages the detector's ability to find metal? I'll try it.

44 minutes ago, Hello said:

Thank you for the help schoolofhardNox.

The two last pictures are those also musket balls?

The last one looks just like a metal thing I found! But I have no idea of what it is or how old it is etc!

The last two are the metallic arrow points. They are from the year 1637. You will have to research your history to see if you had metallic arrow points  in your country.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Hello said:

If you want to be discreet when looking for metal. Do you guys think it might be a good idea to take a thin garbage bag around the detector, so it is not visible what it is you are holding? It should be fine to search anyway, or do you think it damages the detector's ability to find metal? I'll try it.

Before you get in trouble with the law, you should research and see if what you want to do is illegal in your country. If you get caught, you may end up paying a lot of money and possibly jail time. Here in America if you detect some very important battle sites (like Gettysburg) and get caught, they will take your equipment, possibly your vehicle and you will pay a lot of court and legal fees to get them back. As far as being visible with a bag on your machine, you can not hide a detector with a bag. Everyone will know what you are doing. I feel a bit uncomfortable giving you any more advice on detecting if you are going to do illegal activities with it.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hello said:

I do not know if I understand your definition of "hot rocks", can you explain it?

(I did a Google Search with the following terms:  detectorprospector.com, Steve Herschbach, hot rocks, definition and found the following thread.  Steve does a better job than I can explaining them.)

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hello said:

I find most countries have similar laws, strict laws in fact, in regards to detecting. Where I live, "good" detectorists and, generally, ones respecting the heritage, try to stay away from such sites. Fortunately, we have online maps that highlight such areas. Good way here is to check the map, ask for permission if possible, then go. Different countries have various descriptions of term "archaeological item", which can be vague at best, but generally excavating "archaeological" items is forbidden. Musket balls are few centuries old and may qualify as archaeological items, and if found in large quantities, the place may carry significant historical value. Excavating in such places, simply put, distorts and, even, wipes clues and the picture of the past of that place. So... it is not surprising archaeologists are not fond of detectorists 🙂  

Hiding it makes even worse. It actually takes the joy detecting away. Do some research of the place, ask permission if possible, and enjoy detecting.

Have a look through comments in this link. It gives clues about the law in various countries.
https://md-hunter.com/list-of-countries-where-metal-detecting-is-allowedbanned/

• Thanks 1