New To The Group Like To Introduce Myself

Tony F

Hello I would like to just introduce myself and say hi to everyone, i am from the UK just near Manchester, my name is Tony age 55, I am new to the hobby and cant wait to get started, I yet don't have a detector I'm trying to gain knowledge as what to buy,( any guidance would be appreciated I'm looking at a budget of around £500 to £600  I have been interested in the hobby for a number of years but never had chance to do anything about it until now,  

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Tony F said:

Hello I would like to just introduce myself and say hi to everyone, i am from the UK just near Manchester, my name is Tony age 55, I am new to the hobby and cant wait to get started, I yet don't have a detector I'm trying to gain knowledge as what to buy,( any guidance would be appreciated I'm looking at a budget of around £500 to £600  I have been interested in the hobby for a number of years but never had chance to do anything about it until now,  

Welcome Tony, You should be able to get lots of suggestions on detectors here. People will want to know what type of detecting you are interested in.

Hello Tony, and welcome!

As Compass said, more info will be helpful! But there are several great detectors in your price range that are pretty much turn and go! Search the forum detector reviews! You will find, and learn a great deal! This may help you hone in on a few candidates! 

Also, more will chime in with suggestions!

Good luck! And remember; questions are free!!👍👍

Tony,welcome onboard,same here i am from good old 'Blighty',one detector that possibly would fit all your needs could be the Minelab Equinox 600 as that could/would cover all your needs and within a similar price bracket as what you have suggested.Possibly the most popular range of detectors ie the Equinox 600/800 being used in the UK.

New Garrett Apex might be a good way to start. Garrett machines are stable and very easy to use.

If you looking to get into the water where the control box gets submerged then detectors such as the Equinox, Kruzers and Amphibios are nice but prices go up once you add the water proof headphones and scoops.

• Like 2

Welcome aboard Tony, Glad to have you here!!!  I would start out with a middle of the road machine and I think you will be quite happy. No need to spend 500 to 600 quid. So many good machines for around 300 quid. Simplex+ with head phones, Minelab Vanquish 540. There is no need to get caught up in the best of the best stuff, When your just starting out. Learn the basics, Have fun and then move on to a so called better machine. I hope you do well in your choices and enjoy what this hobby has to offer!!!

• Like 2

Thanks for all the reply guys, a few asking what I would like to do  guess its relics and coins id like to get into detecting on farmland/fields mainly but may at some point a visit to the beach on the odd day out,  but its all very new and a lot of learning ahead of me

• Like 1

With that info Tony I would seriously consider a nokta makro simplex +  Great machine at a great price point. They are waterproof and come with a 11'' coil which is great for farm and field hunting. Search around and you can find some really good package deals that come with headphone and a pinpointer. Check out some of the UK guy's videos running the simplex + I think you will like it .