Simplex + Gen 2

I would enjoy testing anything new Nokta puts out. I hunt primarily parks and schools with old homesites mixed in.

Very trashy, iron infested places and sparkle dirt with varying mineralization is the norm here. That would be a good test. Sadly though, not near the beach.

Personally I would have preferred a smaller and lighter stock coil, maybe 8" to start out with considering the Simplex was mainly designated as a starter detector to get the younger crowd to take up the brand.  I think the decision to run with the larger coil was to satisfy the more experienced detectorist looking for a simplified or backup machine, though with comparable coverage and depth ability to some of the more expensive platforms.  As another example, Garrett probably went down the correct path of offering a smaller more lightweight coil on the Apex given its target audience, anything larger and I think you will find it will become rather nose heavy and ruin the overall balance of the detector.   

Even so there is the option of a carbon fibre lower shaft to sort the "flex" issues and the shaft plug, even if it is an afterthought.

As for the 2.4gHz headphones vs say bluetooth, I really don't mind them running with the former, saves a lot of confusion over which bluetooth headphones do or do not work with their detectors - much like the pages of confusion on headphone compatibility with the Equinox and on which versions of bluetooth allow for lag free audio.  There is always the Ezy Wander wireless transmitter if you want to run headphones that are more tailored to you hearing.

After all it is mean't to be the Simplex - ie. simple to use and easy to set up out of the box.

• Like 2

Think most of us agree with a smaller coil being offered right from the start. Unfortunately, all the Simplex coils are a bit heavy and tend to make the Simplex a bit nose heavy. Also the control box above a handle with battery also tips the balance towards the coil. All this does make the Simplex feel heavier than what it is and unbalanced for land use. Since this is a dual purpose detector land and water submersible, it had to be designed this way. You don't want the coil having a tendency to float upwards, nor do you want the control box to float upwards, especially when hunting in salt water. The entire unit has to be neutrally buoyant or close to it.

I have made the suggestion to Dilek, that they should have come up with a beginners entry level detector of the Simplex in a strictly land version. It could be built much lighter and balance better with lighter weight smaller sized search coils. The Terra-Simplex would be a great seller. A concentric coil would make it bang on for pinpointing for the beginner but, that would mean new circuitry as the Simplex was designed around the DD. Think the issue producing such a model would be the selling price. Since the current Simplex is priced too reasonable. And they just released the Midi Hoard at a price point below the Simplex which is also a waterproof machine for the kids. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Goldpick said:

As for the 2.4gHz headphones vs say bluetooth, I really don't mind them running with the former, saves a lot of confusion over which bluetooth headphones do or do not work with their detectors - much like the pages of confusion on headphone compatibility with the Equinox and on which versions of bluetooth allow for lag free audio.  There is always the Ezy Wander wireless transmitter if you want to run headphones that are more tailored to you hearing.

The key difference is that with Equinox, at least, ML gives you the choice of using proprietary 2.4 gHz (like Nokta) wireless OR BT.  It's nice to have options, not a liability and BT is not nearly as complicated and confusing as you are making it out to be and since it is an industry standard, the hardware is a lot cheaper than the the manufacturers proprietary solutions (EZ Wander is $100 without headphones, ML Wi Stream is even more expensive - whereas quality LL BT H/P are $39, receiver/transmitter $30).  My recommendation would be to provide both options built in.

The number one change I would like to see, is a pinpoint trigger instead of the button.  I have arthritis in my thumbs, and the pinpoint button is too painful for me to use after pinpointing just a few targets.  Other detectors' pinpoint buttons aren't as hard to press, but the Simplex takes a very strong press to operate.  A pinpoint trigger would solve this problem.

Yes, this would increase the manufacturing costs a little (like most of the suggestions on this thread), but it would make the detector much more comfortable to use.  As it is now, the pinpoint button makes the pinpoint mode unusable for me.  

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 11:07 PM, Sven1 said:

I have made the suggestion to Dilek, that they should have come up with a beginners entry level detector of the Simplex in a strictly land version. It could be built much lighter and balance better with lighter weight smaller sized search coils. The Terra-Simplex would be a great seller. A concentric coil would make it bang on for pinpointing for the beginner but, that would mean new circuitry as the Simplex was designed around the DD. 

Sounds like the Racer 2 with 7" Concentric coil 😉 

Just not sure on the demand for non-waterproof machines would be, as there are so many waterproof options these days. But there would definitely be demand for a waterproof version of the Racer platform, i.e. some of the weight under the armrest. I'm thinking lighter weight CTX3030, or waterproof Impact with some grams shaved off. But waterproof means great for beach use, so would team up nicely with Multi Frequency, or even PI. 

But in saying that, the chunkier shaft of the Anfibio feels nicer in the hand than the Kruzers even though it is a little heavier. It is real nice to swing with some of the smaller coil options. 

14 hours ago, PhaseTech said:

Just not sure on the demand for non-waterproof machines would be, as there are so many waterproof options these days. But there would definitely be demand for a waterproof version of the Racer platform, i.e. some of the weight under the armrest. I'm thinking lighter weight CTX3030, or waterproof Impact with some grams shaved off. But waterproof means great for beach use, so would team up nicely with Multi Frequency, or even PI. 

But in saying that, the chunkier shaft of the Anfibio feels nicer in the hand than the Kruzers even though it is a little heavier. It is real nice to swing with some of the smaller coil options. 

I don't detect underwater but I love detecting in the rain so would only get a waterproof detector.

They say detectors run so much quieter in the rain because wet soil can be more conductive, you get a lot less 'chatter', they say the detectors also find things deeper.

I definitely notice a difference between detecting when the ground is dry and wet, I can run the detectors with sensitivity maxed out in the rain and there is hardly any 'chatter'.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 4:54 AM, crow said:

Are you using an Equinox 800? Is that still the best detector in that price range? 

My simplex just stopped working, I'm thinking of replacing it with an Equinox 800.

I like the simplex, will get the gen 2 if it has simultaneous multi frequency and more tone breaks etc.

I wish detector manufacturers would just put normal Bluetooth transmitters in their detectors so that any headphones or earphones could pair with the detector, but I guess they want to make extra money by only being able to sell their own headphones for the devise.

Should still be in warranty.

Send it in.

Some place in Georgia.

Look on their website.

On 8/21/2020 at 4:27 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

If NokMak wants me to put my Equinox down they need to work on adding more tone options, especially multi tone. Keep that true threshold based all metal mode. Add recovery speed, and we probably have a deal.

I second that! Also has to be lightweight,  nokta/makro cant seem to figure out that part. Or make a land and water version. I like a good waterproof machine but don't like the extra weight they bring with them for land hunting. Example simplex with the 5x9 coil is a heavy machine. 5x9 feels as heavy as the 11" Buttons also on simplex are really uncomfortable to use as a park machine when pinpointing a lot. Way to hard to press. Guessing cause of waterproofing. 

• Like 1