Waterproof Headphone Issues

Hi Everyone:

I have posted this on another competing forum. I thought I would post it here as well as this forum seems more active. Part of my issue is the poor volume with wired headphone issue I have seen mentioned multiple times but I can live with that and my issues go beyond that.

I have had the Simplex for a little over a month. I have the Nokta Makro wired waterproof headphones and while they worked OK for a while (volume had to be on the highest setting to be of much use in the water) they recently quit working altogether. If I am in a silent room I can just barely and I mean barely hear a peep out of them if I run a coin over the coil at the highest volume setting and I have very good hearing. I just ordered a pair of the Gray Ghosts for the Simplex and I received them tonight and plugged them in and I'm only getting audio out of one side and they too are not all that loud at the highest volume setting.  I plugged a pair of basic Sony wired headphones into the machine using a 1/4" adaptor and the included headphone adaptor cable and they worked great with very loud audio so it isn't all headphones. Also, the machine charges and updates perfectly fine so I wouldn't think something was wrong with the port on the machine. Could I have just gotten two dud pair of headphones? Has anyone used the Nokta waterproof headphones for this machine or the Gray Ghosts and have had similar problems?

Thanks

That is normal for the Nokta waterproof headphones needing to be on highest level because of the piezo speaker. Audio is similar to my Garrett waterproof headphones as well.

Did you ever experience any crackling sound if you had the control box under water? Thinking the connection might not have been water tight and something might have been damaged.

You may want to contact Nokta for repairs.

I use a small dab of silicone grease around the green plastic edge on the connectors on my MK and use the same grease on my other machines o-rings. Patroleum jelly works fine too.

Thank you for the response. In regard to the Nokta Makro waterproof Headphones, I never noticed any crackling. They worked fine the last time I was able to use them and then the next time I went to use them, they no longer worked. After that, I hunted on land with Sony wired headphones using the adaptor and they worked great with loud clear audio. I then purchased a pair of Gray Ghosts while I wait to hear back from Nokta Makro about fixing the Nokta headphones and when I went to use those, I'm only getting audio out of one ear. 

I was thinking if there was an issue with the machine, the Sony headphones wouldn't have worked with the adaptor or I would have issues charging the machine. 

I've had good luck with the Tony Eisenhower headphones I've had him make for me. Good quality speakers and plenty loud.

• Like 1

It could be the connector on the headphones. Check them for any visual damage like bent pins or kink in the wire. Waterproof headphones as bad as they sound, sound better than your regular headphone if they go in the drink.

I would ask Nokta, could be just a bad pair of headphones. Shipping kills a lot of products, I had a coil that got mangled up.

I received a replacement set of Gray Ghost headphones and sent the defective ones back. The new ones worked well for me tonight and I found a silver boy scout ring in the lake. The Nokta Makro pair are being sent to Georgia for repair/replacement. I will keep one set as a backup and/or a pair for my nephew to use for when he gets his simplex. Thanks for all of the replies. Hopefully, I won't have any more issues for a while. 

I have built my share of water phones and designed the timber wolfs and Hurricanes

My daughter bought me a set of gray ghost for Christmas for my simplex they would NOT cut off speaker wired wrong did not want to void warranty so I left a alone called their number never called back .....piezo transducers are tricky build and one batch to another can be garbage gray ghost had gone to to cheap little transducers......junk other time I bought a set years ago they forgot to seal one headset....

Wearing two hearing aids I like Audio Sears they are hearing aid compatible and if you turn them to high they will scramble your brain .....what a way to wake up after your second cup of coffee...the Audio sears date back to the Western Electric Company one of the driving forces in early Electronics in the Golden Age. Thou they are not submergible I can usually get a pair to last 2- 3 years by rinsing out the salt after a day of jumping waves and holding by breath to go under to get one more scoop..,,

There is a Hungarian dude on flea bay selling LS PELSO they or at least my purchases from him have been loud and he got the cord length right.....I have a killer set on my Nox and my Simplex and hunt with them on land and water so my ears are keen to the sound 24/7 

He.is cheap and I could not by the parts for what he sells them for shipping has gone up but hey that’s everywhere......you guys are lucky you can wear earbuds and not swet like a Spartan...

Happy Traills

jimpugh ps waiting  for the storms to pass so I can go hunt see where the bottoms have changed