Product Review On 2 Sun Spot Scoops

I’ve had a lot of questions regarding my Sun Spot water scoop so I thought I’d do a quick video. Thanks!

Aaron

• Like 4

Thanks for sharing. I love my SunSpots, both 720's and you are 100% on the small holes. Best for catching the small targets. I do like the angle of the newer scoop for hunting in deep water better...you don't have to drink the water. Shallow water the 90 is fine..

One thing I do not like about most manufacturers handles,... is the Grips...I like the old Bill Babs scoop grips, you don't have to look. You feel which way the scoop is facing for it has a grip molded to fit your fingers grip. You can get those Grips at McMaster Carr..Finger-Groove Round Grips

5271t13p1-j06-digital@halfx_637018052507636519.png

• Like 2

I have two sunspots, a 720 and a 920 that I bought years ago while Chuck still owned the company and made them.  I haven’t had any trouble with either one like you’ve described and I hunt both saltwater beaches and lakes with tough clay bottoms.  They are holding up just like your old sugar sand scoop.  Sugar Sand is what Chuck called that design. 
Having watched your video, my guess is the new owners have altered Chuck’ s process, design, materials or all of the above.  Sad if they did that since Chuck’s scoops were among the absolute best on the market....as is proven by your original sugar sand scoop.

• Like 2

Yes Dan that’s correct! I forgot Chuck called that the Sugar Scoop design. I actually had another one, it didn’t have the 2 piece handle and sold it to a buddy. He’s not detecting anymore, I should try to buy it back! They don’t make um like this anymore....

• Like 1

I have both the 720 and 920 Stealth scoops. If you work in areas with rocks and clay, eventually you're going to cave in the bottom. I've done it several times and had to straighten them out. Same problem with other stainless scoops I've had. The way I cured that problem was to add a reinforcement plate to the bottom of the 720. Now there's no way it will cave in. It made the scoop a bit heavier, but, I don't have to worry digging in rocks anymore. I haven't gotten one of the titanium scoops that Xtreme makes yet. I would be interested to see how they hold up to that kind of punishment.

• Like 1