TDI Bh Mono Coil

I need to have my coil replaced on my TDI BH    Whites service center is not sure they have one at the moment.

My Question is what are the pros and cons of putting a 12 inch Aussie Mono coil on.  Not for diving just waist deep wading,

also does anyone know if the mono will float like the yellow dual field?

I am not looking to find small bits of gold, mostly coins and ring size targets on the Northeast  beaches.

Thanks Jim

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jim in ma said:

I need to have my coil replaced on my TDI BH    Whites service center is not sure they have one at the moment.

My Question is what are the pros and cons of putting a 12 inch Aussie Mono coil on.  Not for diving just waist deep wading,

also does anyone know if the mono will float like the yellow dual field?

I am not looking to find small bits of gold, mostly coins and ring size targets on the Northeast  beaches.

Thanks Jim

The Aussie is a single field type, so You can have the same shape but less windings I think...Cause of the shell, identical to the yellow one, it will float the same way if not more, due to more empty space in the central area.

However, nothing you can't manage staying vertical and a wading depth.

Regards the machine, for sure you're right on the medium size sensitivity, cause the 12 is more oriented to medium to big targets...I decided to swap the yellow in favour of an 8" Detech mono that floats like crazy...But is another story, I do scuba diving and this not the ideal machine to do it, at all.I only love the pinpoint much more easier and some good depth despite of the size.

Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Hello Jim,

That size coil will be okay if you’re not going too deep. The more of your body that is not submerged generates more weight onto the coil so coil flotation won’t be a problem. Are you hunting rougher water on a regular basis.....if so, then a smaller coil might be the way the go. Moving away from a Dual Field coil will certainly calm the detector down in any mineralised areas and will subdue some of the salt signal if running lower delays. To me there are no obvious cons by moving to the Aussie style mono coil based on the targets you’re after.

Tony

Can you reposition the control box and move it forward?

On my Seahunter the 8" coil is neutral but when I use my 10x14 it is slightly boyant. Out of the water with control box just in front of my arm cuff it balences perfect, in the water it rises up and causes a strain on my wrist. I ended up putting a velcro arm strap that should help. If I plan on water only hunting I'll move the box in front of the handle.