Ws4 And Changing Reactivity

Tometusns

Is it not possible to adjust the reactivity with the ws4's?In the manual it says hold the minus button for 2 sec and the disc will flash, then you can adjust reactivity. If I hold the minus down it just goes into hyper mode lowering the disc. Is there something I'm doing wrong or...don't know or understand. Thanks!

Actually, my manual says hold the "Menu" button down for 2 sec, not the "minus" button.

If that doesn't work, note that was a feature that was added in the Deus version 5 update.  To determine if your WS4's are V5, you should see a "50", "51", or "52" displayed when you first turn on the phones.  If they display ver 4 (e.g. 4X) or lower, then they need to be upgraded.  You can only upgrade the phones if you also have access to a Deus controller and pair the phones to the controller then run an update on both using a PC (one drawback to the Deus lite configurations). HTH.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tometusns said:

Is it not possible to adjust the reactivity with the ws4's. In the manual it says hold the minus button for 2 sec and the disc will flash, then you can adjust reactivity. If I hold the minus down it just goes into hyper mode lowering the disc. Is there something I'm doing wrong or...don't know or understand. Thanks!

As I said in an other thread when you change the frequency on a Deus/Orx it changes the recovery speed of the detector. The higher the frequency and the faster the detector behaves  . I use my Deus WS4 + 9HF white coil at 14khz on low iron trash areas and I switch to 30khz as soon as I arrive on a high iron trash area. At 30khz the Deus is much faster than at 14khz , and at 30 it can pick up small targets among trash that would be missed by the 14khz frequency.  

So to summarize I never use the reactivity setting on my Deus , I just switch the frequency depending on the terrain  thats all . For info I always use the "Deus fast" factory nr 3 mode. It works very well ...

18 minutes ago, palzynski said:

As I said in an other thread when you change the frequency on a Deus/Orx it changes the recovery speed of the detector.

Where is this documented? Contradicts the manual and the Andy Sabisch handbook.  Do you actually see the reactivity setting change when you change frequency?  I don't.  You might be mistaking the natural tendency of higher frequency signals to separate better, but the detector's recovery speed does not actually change simply by changing frequency from what I can tell.

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Actually, my manual says hold the "Menu" button down for 2 sec, not the "minus" button.

If that doesn't work, note that was a feature that was added in the Deus version 5 update.  To determine if your WS4's are V5, you should see a "50", "51", or "52" displayed when you first turn on the phones.  If they display ver 4 (e.g. 4X) or lower, then they need to be upgraded.  You can only upgrade the phones if you also have access to a Deus controller and pair the phones to the controller then run an update on both using a PC (one drawback to the Deus lite configurations). HTH.

Oh goodness! It's awful to get old..well it does have a few draw backs but anyways Chase I zoomed in on the manual and it sure does say hold 2 sec. on the menu button NOT the minus button..🙄oops! Thanks so much for your input!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

I don’t think he is mistaking the high frequency natural faster recovery, he is purposefully employing it.

Steve, still learning here, so I defer to you who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about detecting.  So I will gladly take any corrections to any misconceptions I have stated below.

Thanks for pointing that out, Steve.  Poor use of words on my part in my original response.  I should not have said natural faster recovery, I should have said natural greater target separation (afforded by the higher operating frequency) which is true of any metal detector.  As I understand it, target separation is determined primarily by the recovery speed of the detector (the ability to process target signals) but is also impacted by operating frequency as higher frequency signals can resolve smaller targets and coil characteristics.

Palzynski is stating that the greater small target separation behavior he sees with higher operating frequency is the result of greater recovery speed, when in reality, I believe he is simply perceiving the natural tendency to for higher operating frequencies to resolve smaller targets better resulting in greater separation in trash.  The recovery speed of the Deus is not actually changing, and it is important to make this distinction because of the fact that you can actually change the recovery speed of the Deus via the reactivity setting (the parameter that Tom was having trouble adjusting on his headphone controller).  It could be misinterpreted by users that adjusting the frequency of the Deus will result in an automatic adjustment of the reactivity parameter (that is how I originally interpreted Palyzynski's post) which is absolutely not the case. The reactivity setting on Deus will remain fixed if you adjust frequency even though small target separation may be enhanced.  Operating frequency and recovery speed (reactivity) are independently adjustable parameters.  It is an important distinction on Deus because switching programs can result in wholesale changes in multiple user parameters including frequency and reactivity (as well as tones, sensitivity, disc, and other important parameters).  Furthermore, some specific user parameters on Deus, when changed, can also change other parameters "behind the scenes" so to speak.  This is true of the reactivity setting which, under certain circumstances, can also change the silencer settings (although the silencer setting can also be adjusted without affecting reactivity - confusing? yes - but that is what Andy Sabisch's handbook and bootcamp classes are for).

Anyway, I think Palzynski is taking advantage of a beneficial characteristic of higher frequency operation, higher resolution (and therefor, target separation) on smaller targets but that does not mean the recovery speed of the machine is actually increased when operating at higher frequencies [although I remain open to the fact that this may be indeed the case, just have never seen it documented and I know for a fact that the reactivity setting does not change with frequency].  As with just about anything detector related, there are pros and cons to any approach like this.  We spoke of the pros.  Palzynski's approach will not result in the greatest possible impact on target separation but if it works well enough that is all that matters and Pal is getting good results.  The separation effect is much more pronounced through direct manipulation of the Deus "reactivity" parameter, though.  Furthermore, it may be disadvantageous in some cases to increase frequency due to the adverse impacts on the ability to detect high conductive targets at depth, so if more separation is desired without having to change frequency, then tweaking the reactivity parameter directly would be more desirable.  Just different ways to skin a cat.  Use whatever works and requires the least effort, shifting frequency is a good quick and dirty method to boost separation, especially on a detector without an independent recovery speed adjustment.

On Deus, I set up adjacent programs to one another that vary certain key parameters such as both frequency AND reactivity and toggle back and forth between those programs when interrogating iffy targets to see how the target responds to the changes in those key parameters, which is often very illuminating.

Anyway, never at a loss for words, that is my take on the issue. :smile:

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tometusns said:

All good!! Amazing what pushing the right button will do...Thanks Chase! 😁

Yep, its all good.  Been there done that BTW when working with those headphones.  My problem was figuring out how to select a different coil with a new serial number.  Struggled with that for awhile even after I knew how to do it at one time.  Needed a refresher.  Truth be told, I had to zoom in on the electronic PDF version of the Deus manual myself just to be sure that text said "Menu" because they used a different font.  Lol!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Steve, still learning here, so I defer to you who have forgotten more than I'll ever know about detecting.  So I will gladly take any corrections to any misconceptions I have stated below.

...Palzynski is stating that the greater small target separation behavior he sees with higher operating frequency is the result of greater recovery speed, when in reality, I believe he is simply perceiving the natural tendency to for higher operating frequencies to resolve smaller targets better resulting in greater separation in trash.  The recovery speed of the Deus is not actually changing, and it is important to make this distinction because of the fact that you can actually change the recovery speed of the Deus via the reactivity setting (the parameter that Tom was having trouble adjusting on his headphone controller).  It could be misinterpreted by users that adjusting the frequency of the Deus will result in an automatic adjustment of the reactivity parameter (that is how I originally interpreted Palyzynski's post) which is absolutely not the case. The reactivity setting on Deus will remain fixed if you adjust frequency even though small target separation may be enhanced.  Operating frequency and recovery speed (reactivity) are independently adjustable parameters.  It is an important distinction on Deus because switching programs can result in wholesale changes in multiple user parameters including frequency and reactivity (as well as tones, sensitivity, disc, and other important parameters).  

...Anyway, I think Palzynski is taking advantage of a beneficial characteristic of higher frequency operation, higher resolution (and therefor, target separation) on smaller targets but that does not mean the recovery speed of the machine is actually increased when operating at higher frequencies [although I remain open to the fact that this may be indeed the case, just have never seen it documented and I know for a fact that the reactivity setting does not change with frequency].  As with just about anything detector related, there are pros and cons to any approach like this.  We spoke of the pros.  Palzynski's approach will not result in the greatest possible impact on target separation but if it works well enough that is all that matters and Pal is getting good results.  The separation effect is much more pronounced through direct manipulation of the Deus "reactivity" parameter, though.  Furthermore, it may be disadvantageous in some cases to increase frequency due to the adverse impacts on the ability to detect high conductive targets at depth, so if more separation is desired without having to change frequency, then tweaking the reactivity parameter directly would be more desirable.  Just different ways to skin a cat.  Use whatever works and requires the least effort, shifting frequency is a good quick and dirty method to boost separation, especially on a detector without an independent recovery speed adjustment.

On Deus, I set up adjacent programs to one another that vary certain key parameters such as both frequency AND reactivity and toggle back and forth between those programs when interrogating iffy targets to see how the target responds to the changes in those key parameters, which is often very illuminating.

Anyway, never at a loss for words, that is my take on the issue. :smile:

Yes this frequency change method is not documented , I just learnt it in the field and perhaps from other Deus local users, I do not remember actually because I have been using this trick for several years now ....  For example I have an area which is a big old roman site which is littered with old iron nails , may be one every 10cms. If you run the Deus HF on the Deus fast mode at 14khz there you will find almost nothing there . If you change to 30khz you will start to hit small or very small coins the results are far better  ..

In addition to this "natural" faster recovery /speed, as you said using higher freqs increases the detector sensitivity to small targets , and this is exactly what is remaining in this area , small or very small coins among thousands of nails.. They are all shallow targets so loosing depth is not a pb here , and the 30k freq still goes deep on small and medium coins vs the 14k freq.

Probably I did not use the right words , I do not know where it comes from actually , reactivity or detector analysis speed + sensitivity increasement on small targets ? , but the fact is that I find much more in iron trash at 30 than at 14khz.  

I have given this freq change "recipe" to a friend that also has a Deus HF , he is very happy with this and has excellent results. One day I will post some of his finds , which are really impressive ..

This Deus freq change method is very simple , no need to program the Deus , just use the factory Deus fast or GMP mode and change the frequency ... As I do not like to spend time programming things this is just perfect for me ... 🙂 

BTW thanks for this info concerning the WS4 reactivity setting , I did not know that this setting was existing on the WS4  version 5...