Ws4 And Changing Reactivity

Tometusns

15 hours ago, Tometusns said:

Oh goodness! It's awful to get old..well it does have a few draw backs but anyways Chase I zoomed in on the manual and it sure does say hold 2 sec. on the menu button NOT the minus button..🙄oops! Thanks so much for your input!

You are doing better than me. I have to zoom in on the manual and then magnify the actual WS4 to see what I am doing. Those Version 5 extra settings are great by the way.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

In addition to this "natural" faster recovery /speed, as you said using higher freqs increases the detector sensitivity to small targets , and this is exactly what is remaining in this area , small or very small coins among thousands of nails.. They are all shallow targets so loosing depth is not a pb here , and the 30k freq still goes deep on small and medium coins vs the 14k freq.

Probably I did not use the right words , I do not know where it comes from actually , reactivity or detector analysis speed + sensitivity increasement on small targets ? , but the fact is that I find much more in iron trash at 30 than at 14khz.  

Yes, I think the issue here is just terminology.  As I stated in the post you quoted, higher frequencies tend to resolve smaller targets better which translates into better target separation - a well known/documented effect of using higher frequencies.  Increasing recovery speed (reactivity) also improves target separation.  Both have a slight impact on target detection at depth (for different reasons - but the point is that there are always tradeoffs between depth and target separation).  Coil design and dimensions also play a role in both target separation and depth as well. 

What I think is happening is that you are perceiving the improved separation due to higher frequency the same way you would perceive separation due to increased recovery speed/reactivity and those are two separate things.  The higher frequency results in more target separation - yes, but not because the recovery speed of the detector has changed, it is because of the favorable electromagnetic effects of using the smaller wavelength associated with a higher frequency to "excite" the target's electromagnetic field.  This effect is well documented in metal detecting basics.  I mistook your original post literally as saying that increasing frequency actually changes the reactivity setting on the Deus (a possible undocumented feature that I was not aware of), when in fact it does not change reactivity.  That was my only point.

2 hours ago, palzynski said:

have given this freq change "recipe" to a friend that also has a Deus HF , he is very happy with this and has excellent results. One day I will post some of his finds , which are really impressive ..

This Deus freq change method is very simple , no need to program the Deus , just use the factory Deus fast or GMP mode and change the frequency ... As I do not like to spend time programming things this is just perfect for me ... 🙂 

I don't like to spend time programming the Deus either - what I was referring to was saving two or more "clone" Deus fast programs in the program slots with the only difference between the two programs being frequency and/or reactivity.  That way you just have to press the +/- buttons to change frequency (and/or reactivity) without having to dive into the program menus (two or more button presses) to change frequency when in the field.  Great time saver while detecting.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Yes, I think the issue here is just terminology.  As I stated in the post you quoted, higher frequencies tend to resolve smaller targets better which translates into better target separation - a well known/documented effect of using higher frequencies.  Increasing recovery speed (reactivity) also improves target separation.  Both have a slight impact on target detection at depth (for different reasons - but the point is that there are always tradeoffs between depth and target separation).  Coil design and dimensions also play a role in both target separation and depth as well. 

ok I understand better now  , my sentence "As I said in an other thread when you change the frequency on a Deus/Orx it changes the recovery speed of the detector" is  confusing ... Of course there is not change of the reactivity parameter when increasing the freq , I just meant that the Deus was faster and much better in iron trash when increasing the freq  ... Sorry for the misunderstanding ..

• Like 1