Hi All, New Member From South West England

Stu

Hi, I've been reading the forum for a while now and enjoying the depth of knowledge and expertise, and the love of finding things. I started detecting about 30 years ago, wrote a few articles for the UK 'Searcher' magazine and then had a break while working and raising a family. Returned about 5 years ago and still love it.

I'm particularly not looking for deep finds, the coins I love are tiny and thin hammered silver, or the thin copper 17th Century traders tokens - in my part of England the low value small coins are far more common that the big ones - only a small part of the wealth from London moved to my area. So the method on the ploughed fields is slow and careful and pick around the iron debris with minimal discrimination, its a compromise I like and it works for me - the Tejon being my go to machine. I find all the normal big stuff of course, but I'll wait for the plough to pull it up.

Surface finds are always welcome, and Neolithic flint turns up now and again and later pottery and glass, etc. The US cent for scale of course. The smallest silver coin James I halfpenny of around 1625. The bone dice of GIIIR with its mark to show tax paid.

Regards

Stu

DSCF3450.JPG

• Like 8

Welcome, Stu!  Great introduction and nice finds.  Those are some small to even tiny coins.  Must be quite the challenge.  The bone die is pretty impressive -- so well made (at least from the view you've shown).  I would have sworn it was plastic.  I don't know the era of GIIIR but our USA 19th Century dice weren't nearly so uniform let alone taxed.

User kac here is a successful Tejon user.  You analog detectorists are a vanishing breed, but you show that you can still produce.  I look forward to your future posts.

Hello Stu,

Welcome!

I love to see finds other than just metal!  Steve has a category for most everything we hunt! I hunt flint and arrowheads too!  Amoung other things!

At least you are using one of our "good" pennies for scale! And not a zincon!! That one would probably disintegrate before your eyes!! Embarrassing coin!!

Good Luck, and post often!!👍👍

Stu,welcome,some nice finds,could never get on with the Tejon but did love using the Adventis 2 that was a great machine used one for 9 months while someone was abroad and thoroughly enjoyed it.

The George111 dice is very unusual,once again welcome.

Thanks for welcome.

US cent (never actually found one of these), but made sense for scale in a global forum. The UK 1 penny coin is a touch bigger, and probably not that well recognised.

The bone dice turned up on a field that is covered in buttons. Mainly metal, but some glass, and some bone buttons. Normally the dirt finds the veins in the bone and leaves brown streaky lines, but this dice was in a very sandy dry part of the site. The tax on dice originally  related paying for the US revolutionary war, but they must have also started taxing all dice as these can be found in antique shops/flea markets etc. with a bit of looking. 

The site was attached to a wool mill, and they used to re-use old clothing after cutting off the hard buttons buckles and thick seams that couldn't be re-milled. This product called 'shoddy'. A shoddy field is a beautiful thing to search in and you hardly have to move to get a signal. But for every coin, perhaps 100 buttons. 

• Like 2

On 8/24/2020 at 5:14 AM, Stu said:

Thanks for welcome.

US cent (never actually found one of these), but made sense for scale in a global forum. The UK 1 penny coin is a touch bigger, and probably not that well recognised.

The bone dice turned up on a field that is covered in buttons. Mainly metal, but some glass, and some bone buttons. Normally the dirt finds the veins in the bone and leaves brown streaky lines, but this dice was in a very sandy dry part of the site. The tax on dice originally  related paying for the US revolutionary war, but they must have also started taxing all dice as these can be found in antique shops/flea markets etc. with a bit of looking. 

The site was attached to a wool mill, and they used to re-use old clothing after cutting off the hard buttons buckles and thick seams that couldn't be re-milled. This product called 'shoddy'. A shoddy field is a beautiful thing to search in and you hardly have to move to get a signal. But for every coin, perhaps 100 buttons. 

Some of the local fields that i detect on have alot and some fields running into 100s of them,they are a novelty for some but when you have so many it it can get beyond a joke,but saying that you can sometimes find some gold coins that had been sown into a jackets as a bartering currency with the idea that it could be used if one was taken as a prisoner of war etc..

Was out detecting yesterday and the permission we have although does not have what i consider a massive amount of military buttons from shoddy but we have found other military items from both wars including medals which have been handed back to next of kin from a chap that died in 1917 and that was only fond back in January of this year.

Nice finds. Ever see a 10x12 widescan for your Tejon it is worth a swing. Really good for relics and coins. Tejon still my favorite machine to use but my gb pot is wearing out :(

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2020 at 6:54 PM, kac said:

Nice finds. Ever see a 10x12 widescan for your Tejon it is worth a swing. Really good for relics and coins. Tejon still my favorite machine to use but my gb pot is wearing out :(

Hi, yes I have the 10x12, the 11x8 and the 5x10 but rarely use the big coils unless on pasture - in which case the 10x12 for sure. On ploughed land after crops harvested, with maize fields the 5.75DD gets in around the stalks, and on barley stubble the coil is small enough to knock barley stubble over after its rotted slightly. The physics of small coil against resistance makes a big difference in that scenario, in any case I'm happy to go with area of coverage rather than depth.

At those rare times I can get to a rolled and seeded permission,  the 18x3 Cleansweep  wins.

• Like 1