Not A Good Sign

Dan(NM)

I've been using the 800 for fresh water hunting for the last 2 months. Deepest I've taken it is neck deep with no issues. I was out this morning, hunting the beach and about an hour into the hunt, I see condensation forming behind the screen. The machine seems to function normally except the volume of the external speaker is weak.

I decided to burp the speaker and when I pulled the battery out it was wet. That was not what I wanted to see, I have a vacation coming up in a couple of weeks and need my machine to hold out until the end of Sept. I'm unable to get the pressure to equalize, each time I reinstall the battery, I can hear the speaker pop and the volume remains low. I'll let Minelab deal with it.

I'll contact Minelab Monday and get the issue on record and send it in after my vacation.. I've already had 3 Profind 35's go bad since February, one went nuts and 2 leaked.  I've been really lucky up until this year with Minelab products.

IMG_20200823_083032634_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4
  • Oh my! 2

Dan

If it hadn’t been for bad luck you wouldn’t had no luck at all .

I wouldn’t put all my eggs in one basket as in the Nox. That’s why us guys always got a backup detector and a backup to the backup..haha

Here I got a new Nox 800 sitting here collecting dust and never been out of the house. I’m not sure if it’s the backup are up front of my others.

At 79 I’m too young and tender to be out in this Texas heat .

Chuck 

• Like 1

I received a replacement control pod today from Minelab Americas Pennsylvania repair center. The one I sent in had bluetooth static issues. They agreed there was a problem and sent me what looks like a new pod. It is definitely newer than the one I sent them. According to the repair sheet, this replacement pod was pressure tested before sending it to me. So, maybe?

This process took about a month from the time I first contacted Minelab America. Once I received an RMA#, turnaround time was 7 days which includes USPS Priority Mail shipping to PA and back to CO along with diagnostic testing, paperwork and packing up the replacement. That is really fast in my opinion.

So Dan, I would start asking them now for an RMA#. Depending on when your trip happens, you could get a replacement really fast.

Jeff

I have my RMA number as of yesterday, I was told it's good for 30 days and I will be sending it to Pa for the repairs/replacement. I'll be shipping it off as soon as my vacation is over. I'll be looking for another 800 as a backup before I send this on in, just in case there is a delay in the turn around process. I took it today and the condensation formed again and stayed visible for about 3 hours or so.

Do you think setting the Nox control pod in the sun with the battery removed the sun would draw out the moisture?  Other option would substitute a plastic tub filled with rice for the sun to draw out the moisture?

Wishing you the best for your problem and upcoming vacation.

6 minutes ago, TedinVT said:

Do you think setting the Nox control pod in the sun with the battery removed the sun would draw out the moisture?  Other option would substitute a plastic tub filled with rice for the sun to draw out the moisture?

Wishing you the best for your problem and upcoming vacation.

I have the battery out and will leave it out a few days. I felt inside today afterremoving the battery and there was moisture inside the compartment.

I would not recommend the sun, or rice idea; but that's me! I like to put my stuff in front of my A/C return! It is near the floor, and works great!

Another option is packaged desiccants! DampRid is one sold most everywhere! I also save all the one's that come in packages, like medication bottles, etc...for just this type of issue! There usually of a small size, and can be stuffed in small areas like the battery compartment of the Nox! They and the object must be isolated though, or the desiccant will draw moisture from the air also, and not just your intended object! They must also be changed out, when they absorb so much!

Hope that helps!👍👍

If it once got wet, I'd definitely get a replacement. There is a good chance of getting problems later on... days, weeks, month .. I wouldn't risk that.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sinclair said:

If it once got wet, I'd definitely get a replacement. There is a good chance of getting problems later on... days, weeks, month .. I wouldn't risk that.

I guess that will be up to Minelab, since moisture is behind the screen and I would assume inside the electronicsas well.  Being that it cannot be opened, I hope they would replace it.