Junk Earrings Or Are They?

That's a Good day out with a nice surprise! Me being a rookie at fresh drops I would have put those in the junk pile for sure.. Nice catch! And man I love that tester!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That's a Good day out with a nice surprise! Me being a rookie at fresh drops I would have put those in the junk pile for sure.. Nice catch! And man I love that tester!

Joe,

I don't have any old swimming spots or bays to hunt.  I have to rely on fresh drops. LOL  The tester was a present to myself after an epic 7 gold day that I had in July.  It is pretty awesome I might add.

Joe

PS  And I am always down for surprises!

• Like 1

That is a cool tester, how does it react on plated stuff?

Really cool you found both ear rings.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, kac said:

That is a cool tester, how does it react on plated stuff?

Really cool you found both ear rings.

It reads as NA.  If it is not gold, it reads NA.  I had several rings (not hallmarked) that had passed as 18K with the acid test and this thing called them NA.  I dug a big heavy (28.5g) chain today that was marked 14K and it tested NA.  Then I saw the fine print above the 14K that said "plated". LOL  I knew just from looking at it that it wasn't gold.  My eyesight is not that good and I didn't see the fine print until I looked at it with a loupe. Ha Ha 

I have checked several of my rings with it and it found one that is hallmarked 14K but it test 10K.  Good tester!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ridge Runner said:

Amazon has the same gold detector for 299.00 .

Chuck 

That's pretty much the standard price at the places that carry it.

Congrats on the Silver and Gold. Nice save on the earrings. As others have said I really like that tester and can see buying one in the near future.

HH

Mike

• Haha 1

Awesome tester. I know if I bought one I would never find another ring, same with a diamond tester lol

Excellent catch and good lesson for some of us (particularly me) less-experienced jewelry detectorists.  Whoever made those butt-ugly mods needs to contact Phrunt for some lessons.

It appears that the ear hooks don't match.  Is either one gold?

• Like 1