The Clock Is Ticking Fast For The AQ

You hear all the ime from different sources  that Minelab is releasing a PI beach machine next year.If that is true then it is best for Fisher to release the AQ as soon as possible before Minelab.With the popularity and high quality machines Minelab introduces,it's become then another step back for Fisher selling AQ.What do you think guys?

16 hours ago, PPP said:

You hear all the time from different sources  that Minelab is releasing a PI beach machine next year.

I’ve never heard that anywhere and I keep a pretty close ear to the ground. Minelab is releasing new machines soon, but a beach PI is almost sure to not be on the list. The is a lot of talk about a new GPX 6000 for gold prospecting that could be used on the beach, but like previous GPX don’t think it will go underwater. Besides, ask Equinox owners about Minelab’s ability to make a detector that does not leak! 

I think the next version of the AQ should only be released when ready, and not before. We already have the half done version and it would be great if the next one is 100%.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, phrunt said:

What is stopping it from being ready? The battery system obviously needs a complete overhaul.  Then there was the reports of noise in moving salt water.  Are there any other things that would slow it down even further that I've missed?

It’s all been covered on the forum but the battery system overhaul is the biggie in that it needs a redesigned upper handle and new tooling to make it.

Thats the other part about Minelab... good luck getting one for twice the price of an AQ.

• Like 1

It's starting to (or maybe this has been observable for a long time) look as though making a detector for both dry land use and submersion (particularly salt/sea) isn't the path to take.  The Garrett ATX was that -- way too heavy for land use.  The Minelab Equinox has been that (in the opposite direction) -- good, lightweight land detector but a long trail (and still growing) of trouble in the water.  Maybe there are exceptions such as the Garrett AT/Pro?  Nokta/Makro Anfibio & Simplex?

There is an extensive history of detectors specifically and exclusively built for water use.  And I think at least some of them have lived up to the stress.

Why make the dry land hunters pay for something they don't want, and carry that extra weight (in some cases) for something they don't need?  Special coil connectors, special headphone jacks,....  Water detecting is way more taxing, physically.  Ground balancing requirements may go in the opposite direction, though.

Yes, Steve H. has brought this up many times in the past (ATX and Minelab SDC being two examples where he requested a non-waterproof version).  And the (negative) data continues to accumulate while the manufacturers wrestle endlessly with the problem.

(Sorry if this is OT.  In fact First Texas seems to be doing what I want with the Impulse -- special submersible version to be followed by special land only version.  Still down the road a ways even for the first to be released, but we do a lot of wishing and hoping for detector releases here, so add my name to the list of optimists.)

• Like 2

It would be great if the AQ is totally dialed in next year sometime. If not , it's not a big deal to me. Here in So.Cal though , I can say 1 thing. The LAST thing I want to see is a Minelab PI machine on my beaches. Last Saturday , 14 guys out swinging the Nox. I don't need them converting over. The majority don't know how to properly use a Nox , and I'd like to keep it that way !

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

I was curious to know why the slow end of the pulse delay is 11.5uS. Could this range be extended to maybe somewhere between 15uS and 20uS.....for those that need it when required or really enjoy a quiet threshold ?

• Like 1

I would like to see the last two indents on timing dial elevated to 15 Microseconds and 20 Micro seconds only after field testing and 8 and 9.5 coil might make an elliptical as well. Will have to source the connector I have found a silver three pin in mouser but I am looking for the gold pin.

I ordered a Russian silicone boot for my Nox that took a while to get 3 weeks in fact . Very nice piece of kit it is water proof tie offs for all connectors and battery  Good to 60 feet very well made. I keep it in my war bag. Only reason I mention it is the same could be molded for the AQ ..... I have a original Joe Sink Hooka the one that puts out more air than anyone makes 6 divers to 60ft. For 3.5 hours on tank of fuel couple liters .....sorry so long . Any way I know that an old Customer was diving Port Royal with authority’s and some times  in deep Water there can be a phenomenally of the huge salt field at ocean depth he had no trouble with the Barracuda and  13 Inch coil but I have a variable delay on the Cuda and tweak the lowest setting for most gold Rings and Salt....if you run into Noise you can bump it a bit CW or turn it all the way CCW and use coil control to verify sweep.

any way sorry for long Post one last thing. I am very happy with the AQ and  very capable of bending it to my Will and the spots that No one can touch unless they are proficient with the AQ

I am sure that this just the beginning of a great line of new gear for those that march to their Own Drummer

Happy Trails

jimpugh  ps be safe I live in hurricane alley no treasure is worth your life wrecks every where they will wait

• Like 3

Hey Jim,

Can you do me a favor, and post the source of that silicone cover for the Nox! I think i bought the same one last year, and people here were asking me about it! ( it's in another post here somewhere) But i couldn't find it on Ebay anymore, or the paperwork for the guy who made them! It was a piece of quality work that i think more would like to have! And the price was right!

Thanks Much!!👍👍

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Hey Jim,

Can you do me a favor, and post the source of that silicone cover for the Nox! I think i bought the same one last year, and people here were asking me about it! ( it's in another post here somewhere) But i couldn't find it on Ebay anymore, or the paperwork for the guy who made them! It was a piece of quality work that i think more would like to have! And the price was right!

Thanks Much!!👍👍

Mr. Joe I will go back and see if I can get you the info in my eBay Won Bids 

Happy Trails

jimpugh