Is This A Meteorite?

That object appears to be very "glassy" so I would expect it to be some type of slag glass from the making of steel or any other hard iron based smelting process that uses sand as one of the components.

There are occurrences of glassy objects being formed from the impact of meteors. These objects are earthly and are dirt or sand that have been melted, liquified and reformed into glass when a fiery meteor hits the earth. Two very famous types of these are Tektites and Moldavites.  

I don't think your specimen is a type of meteoric impact glass.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeff McClendon said:

That object appears to be very "glassy" so I would expect it to be some type of slag glass from the making of steel or any other hard iron based smelting process that uses sand as one of the components.

My thoughts as well, I have found my share of similar objects.  You really need to check out the link Steve provided above on meteorite ID 101.  Not the first time you have been referred there, as I recall based on a previous ask a couple weeks back.  It can be a little discouraging because the odds are literally astronomically against you simply happening upon a meteorite outside of a known/suspected fall area.  Good luck.

Ok well where I found this there was and never has been any steel melting or smelting plant or any other building whatsoever it was found deep in the "Thank The Lord" unpopulated, unincorporated southern woods of Alabama that my family are blessed enough to call a 160 acre tract our own.Peace and quiet the way life was intended.This rock is magnetic as last night I hung two small semi-strong doughnut magnets from a string perfectly still.Oddly enough not only did this "rock" attract the magnet it also seemed to repulse the magnet if it was moved to a different spot facing it.strange.any thoughts?

Also I believe Alabama has had it's share of meteorite impacts over history as we have had automobile tags with the STARS FELL ON ALABAMA theme.

1 hour ago, West78 said:

This rock is magnetic as last night I hung two small semi-strong doughnut magnets from a string perfectly still.Oddly enough not only did this "rock" attract the magnet it also seemed to repulse the magnet if it was moved to a different spot facing it.strange.any thoughts?

See if it attracts steel.  Possibly Lodestone, a naturally occurring form of magnetite (Fe3O4) which has its atoms sufficiently oriented to be considered a magnet.

FWIW, your state capital (Birmingham) become a major steel producer after the USA Civil War, at least in part because of easy access to both coal and iron.  Here's a map of the iron mines in that area.

382171083_Screenshotat2020-08-25101925.png.dcacc06f192fff491ddb46ae6eecb0bc.png

Sounds like your find was quite a distance south of Birmingham.  Still, Jeff's theory that this could be remanants of steel production isn't ruled out.  (Someone brings a 'souvenir' south after a visit to the capital.)

Interesting fact that Birmingham didn't even exist until 1871 and now it's the state's largest city, and capital:

Birmingham was founded in 1871, during the post–Civil War Reconstruction era, through the merger of three farm towns, most notably Elyton. The new city was named for Birmingham, England, the United Kingdom's second largest city and then a major industrial city. The Alabama city annexed its smaller neighbors as it developed into a major industrial center based on mining, the iron and steel industry, and rail transport.

Edit:  Oops.  Montgomery is the state Capital.  Would have gotten kicked out of the Geography Bee in elementary school for that faux pas.  (Note to Phrunt -- you probably spell this differently but hopefully know what it means:laugh:)

I appreciate your comments everyone but unfortunately I'm unsure if anyone could possibly identify this "rock" on this forum by a mere picture.I suppose the question I most need answered is how do I tell with 100% certainty if this is a meteor or impact glass?Would it invole takiing it somewhere.If so is there some place close to say an hours drive South from the capital city of Montgomery.

Oh and as far as this being a souvenir,,it definitely not I know this to be a fact for the simple reason I know where I  found it as well as where a lot more of it is.very strange thing I've stumbled upon in the middle of acres upon acres of uncut foreatfor generations upon generations.

1 hour ago, West78 said:

I appreciate your comments everyone but unfortunately I'm unsure if anyone could possibly identify this "rock" on this forum by a mere picture.I suppose the question I most need answered is how do I tell with 100% certainty if this is a meteor or impact glass?Would it invole takiing it somewhere.If so is there some place close to say an hours drive South from the capital city of Montgomery.

How close are you to a university with a geology department?  Both Auburn and U. of Alabama have them.  The latter even has two professors who specialize in Planetary Geology.  Maybe even Florida State University in Tallahassee is closeby.

I would try contacting them first, by e-mail or phone.  With the virus situation they might not allow walk-in meetings.  Don't forget to report back here on what you find out from them.

Did you ever go through that detailed Washington Unviersity of St. Louis webpage with diagnostics?  (I assume that other thread was yours.)