Ongoing Equinox Coil Ear Breakage Issue

I really like your plastic shim solution.  Any chance you could post a picture or two for those of us "challenged" folks?

But I guess first we should all take a good look at our coil ears to see if the cracks are coming before our warranties run out.

Thanks again for responding to my post.

Bill (S. CA)

2 hours ago, TedinVT said:

I spoke with John at Ft Bedford I asked if anyone knew what was causing the problem and how aware Minelab was of the problem.  John said he felt over tightening of the coil bolt appeared to stress the coil ears causing them to break.

I assume water hunters need to tighten the bolt more than dry land detectorists.  I prefer mine to be adjustable as I hunt since I don't always have the coil the same distance from my feet.  Thus I probably don't tighten it as much as many others do.

Another question for you water hunters -- does sea-water attack the plastic used in the Equinox coils?

This to me, is a product defect!

I to have used shims and detect-ed gaskets to help prevent this problem again!

But i think it needs to be acknowledged, and fixed by Minelab themselves! I *Hate It* when manufacturers know of problems, and keep pumping out the same defective product! Neither I, nor anyone else, should have to put out extra money to fix this problem, and the water leak problem! 

And yes, time lost on warranty repairs, is money! I paid for a Three year warranty!! Not a two and a half, or two and three quarter one!

Warranty repairs have been good, but as I've said here before! Don't keep sending me the same defective product back again, so down the line, it becomes a repeat!!

You all know the saying:

"Don't piss on my head, And tell me it's raining"🌧

I will just spend my money elsewhere on someone else's superior product next time around!! And that's a promise!!👍👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GB_Amateur said:

Another question for you water hunters -- does sea-water attack the plastic used in the Equinox coils?

No in my opinion sea water has no effect. However to add,  The sand and constant moving of the coil can make the plastic wear and score. This is why I try to use a larger rubber fender washers if there is room between the shaft and coil to increase the contact area.

It is rough where I hunt so the coil has to be pretty locked in. If a wave can grab the coil and flip it damage can be done as well.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, midalake said:

No in my opinion sea water has no effect. However to add,  The sand and constant moving of the coil can make the plastic wear and score. This is why I try to use a larger rubber fender washers if there is room between the shaft and coil to increase the contact area.

It is rough where I hunt so the coil has to be pretty locked in. If a wave can grab the coil and flip it damage can be done as well.  

I would agree, midalake, that the sea water is not the issue.  My friends who have had their coil ears break don't hunt in the water.  Some good points being made here.  I believe that Minelab needs to understand that updates just aren't software-related.  They can also be mechanical.  I think they should give thought to sending owners sets of shims or redesigned washers to address the current problem and then do a fix on the coil ear design.  With the number of Equinoxes that I see out in the field this is going to be an ongoing sore spot for them for years to come that doesn't need to be.

• Like 2

I always thought that the current most common coil/clevis design should be reversed. Beefed up and reversed to be exact. The coil itself should not be the part with "ears". Make the coil with a solid hub a couple inches wide. Have the ears on the clevis. Have the clevis replaceable on the shaft and supply an extra one with each detector purchase. The new Fisher Impulse AQ has this type of clevis, although they still use ears on the coil. A better design, since there is a bolt/nut on each side and not just one pinching both sides toward the middle, so, no side strain. It still has fairly thin ears on both parts, but, so far, no issues with mine. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys, this is really for PimentoUK.  I just wanted to confirm the thickness of the shims which according to your post are:

Shim plastic is readily salvagable from packaging, household items. Thicknesses around 0.2 mm ( 8 thou ) seem a good starting point

My reason for asking is that this is literally the thickness of 2 sheets of paper.  That seems awfully thin.   I haven't found any plastic that thin around my house.  Thinnist I could find was .4mm. Is that too thick?  

Apologies if this post is redundant.  I sent you a message through the forum but had my internet crash and don't know if it got you or not.

Bill

Hey Bill,

I found some nylon shims, or washers that were about that thickness at Lowes, in the specialized hardware drawers! I used those in conjunction with the rubber shims!

I also was able to take different thicknesses of the Detect-Ed shims and put two on each side of the shaft head! That seemed to work better than the shims! They gave more resistance to coil movement, than the nylon shims! Without over tightening! And making contact with the shaft head!👍👍