Ongoing Equinox Coil Ear Breakage Issue

Bill:
That 0.2mm was a starting point, it's what I made my ones from. You could try thicker ones, like 0.3mm if you're having trouble sourcing suitable scrap, and of course you can use multiple sheets, so if 0.15mm is to hand, try 0.15mm or 0.3mm ( 2 x 0.15mm ).

It's hard to say how much packing is needed, especially considering there may be product variations - early models may have different rubbers to more recent production ones etc.

As for the source of plastic: products that are packed in cardboard boxes with clear plastic windows so you can see the toy etc inside could be OK. Screen protectors for phones/tablets may be in the right thickness range.

I thought this might be useful for comparison purposes.

All ear tab and washers measurements taken in the center across the bolt hole.

All three coils show straight parallel tab walls (no bending).
(I would tighten until snug, with a little give to it, so that I can tilt my coil when needed to, without adjusting the bolt).

15" Coil (brand new as of today)

3.56mm(.1400") ear tab
22.66mm (.8920") between both ear tabs

Rubber washers that came with the new coil.
5.00mm (.1970")

11" Coil (1 year old)

3.00mm(.1180") ear tab
22.44mm (.8940") between both ear tabs

Rubber washers (1 year old)
5.00mm (.1970")

6" Coil (10 months old)

2.84mm(.1120") ear tab
22.48mm (.8850") between both ear tabs

Rubber washers (10 months old)
4.95mm (.1950")

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

It comes down to movement and those rubber washers.   Many like their coil tight.... no movement.   That at least for beach guys means wear..... so you shim, replace rubbers, or tighten those ears.   Tightening the bolt without shimming or replacing the washers often causes distortion.... normally inward.   What i see often is people placing there machines a few feet from them while digging.  They use their machine as a crutch.  They push DOWN hard while digging.......and the shaft if you look at it is almost at a 45 degree angle with the coil setting FLAT.  

• Like 2

My first thought was a 3D printed solution.  Before I started in CAD I checked thingiverse (Open source site for 3d printed files) and there are a couple of shims there.  

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

Someone also created this solution.  Might be worth a try for people that have access to a 3d printer.  It is only a few cents in plastic for a print that size.

Good Luck.

My issue is why is it that we only hear of ML's coil ears breaking! And no other coil, or detector manufacturer! That should be, at least, one indication of a flaw in the design, or composition of the thermoplastic they use! And i haven't seen or heard of them trying to fix the problem! 

They are good with their service, but who wants to be down their only, or primary detector for weeks!👍👍

Well lets face it.  They may fix the problem but it won't help us until ours breaks and they replace with a stronger model.  

The likely hood of them admitting in a design/manufacturing flaw and offering a recall for a coil is probably not going to happen.

In the meantime there are a few solutions that might help us to avoid being without a detector.

It isn't a shot at Minelab, just companies in general. 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2020 at 6:37 PM, phrunt said:

I use Detect-ED coil saver washers on my Nox, do they stop ears breaking? I don't know.... Ed who makes them indicates they do, and he's primarily a salt water beach Nox hunter so I guess he'd know.   He's gone through a few Noxes by drowning them 🙂 They're just different thickness washers and you use a combination of them to get the exact right fit.

This is what he says about them.....

Rubber Teardrop Washer upgrades for the Minelab Equinox 600 / 800

This pack of 8 x 'Coil Savers' rubber teardrop washers includes two thicknesses of washers for use in the Minelab Equinox coil connector/yoke (4 x 2mm black washers and 4 x 3mm red washers).

The washers can be mixed and matched to give the exact thickness you need for your coil and coil connector/yoke).

KEY FEATURES:

- Eliminate coil ear wear

- Reduced chance of coil ear breakage

- Tighter coil (no floppy coil)

- Easy coil bolt tightening

- Suitable for use with Stock Shafts & Detect-Ed Carbon Fiber Shafts.

*Coil and Detect-Ed Red-Belly Carbon Shaft pictured for illustration purposes only

*Detect-Ed does not guarantee that these will stop Equinox coil-ears from snapping. Detect-Ed is not responsible for incorrect use of the Coil-Savers.

*It is up to buyers to use them correctly according to your requirements.

Coil Savers Link - Detect-ED

721380722_CoilSavers.jpg.9cb5fece1ab6aa39e82f84010e861531.jpg

Yes, those worked for me too.

• 2 months later...
On 9/30/2020 at 10:19 PM, FloridaSon said:

Yes, those worked for me too.

Update: 65 days from my comment, mine broke. I had used the washers, loosened the coil bolts, frequently wash out the area, did not use as a crutch or to move sand/brush, never used in surf.

Broke one ear half way up. Contacted Minelab to see what happens. 

• Sad 1

Knock on wood, I've only had it happen once! And it broke the same way as yours! Since than, I have been using not only detect-ed washers, but some regular rubber washers on the outside of the coil tabs! So far, so good🤞 👍👍