Ongoing Equinox Coil Ear Breakage Issue

Well, if it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all!🤣

I apparently spoke too soon! As i was cleaning my 800 today, in preparation for my annual Double "D" Hunt (deer and detecting) in Georgia, i found one of my coil tabs broken in half, and missing the loose piece! This is now coil #2 to break on me! I guess knocking on wood, and crossing fingers had little effect!

Seeing how i have no time to send it back now, i opted to try a repair to get me through the week! Not having the other piece made it more challenging! I built a small mold out of washers, coated with a release agent (furniture polish)!  I mixed up some JB Weld 5 minute quick weld to replace the missing piece! It came out slightly flexible, which was fine, since i planned on reinforcing the outside with fiber washers! The result, i hope, will last me through the week! I will bring a second detector, of course! But i primarily wanted to use the Nox this time out! We will see how it holds up! 

MineLab; if you read this, how about fixing the problem!! Instead of continuing to reproduce the problem, and passing it on to your customers!!👍👍

20201206_193700.jpg

20201206_193806.jpg

• Like 3

Sorry for your loss! It snuck up on me too. But dang that is a great fix. I was worried about sending it all in now at this time of year due to the delay with Christmas, vaccine shipping, etc. If I had thought of your fix  I would have waited. I know we are going to get good weather before I get it back.

Minelab was great, sent an RMA this morning and I shipped it this pm. 

Lucky, my BIL loaned me his ATX which I know nothing about.

Go 2020! 🤮

Hey FS,

No! Those were from Harbor Freight! Fiber washers in one of those multi washer kits! I use the kit for all kinds of stuff! About 6 dollars for about 80 various size's and compounds of washers!👍👍

• Like 1

Happy to report Minelab warranty dept is still outstanding. One day after Alum, PA received my coil, they had a new one on the way! 

Reading this thread and others, the consensus seems to be:

Happens to inland, beach and water hunters.

Caused by tightening the coil bolt to the point it flexes the ears leading to breakage at a common weak point. That weak point may be caused by the ear being to thin and/or the colder plastic flow when casting the part.

Scoring and scratches on the ear indicate a future problem may be in the works.

Question: Might this be connected to the left/right 'scrubbing' the coil does for hunters that like to keep the coil on the ground? That might cause the break to happen at the mid way weakest point. 

Question: Will stiffening the area of breakage lead to a new weak point breaking at a slightly different location?

Question: Is the lower half of the ear thicker than the upper? (Ill check when mine arrives).

💡Just occurred to me that like when using Apple products, we are unwilling testers for this defect. All Minelab need do is read these threads to get enough information for a true fix instead of throwing new coils at the problem. Anyone remember the Ford Pinto fuel tank issue?

Thanks everyone,

7BF5C0C0-84EC-457E-83AB-6704D0018A01_1_201_a.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, Joe D. said:

This is now coil #2 to break on me! I guess knocking on wood, and crossing fingers had little effect!

6 hours ago, FloridaSon said:

Caused by tightening the coil bolt to the point it flexes the ears leading to breakage at a common weak point. That weak point may be caused by the ear being to thin and/or the colder plastic flow when casting the part.

5 hours ago, PimentoUK said:

Here's an example of cracking on the weak point in the moulding, this one from a UK beach hunter.

So I have a total of 5 hunts about 20 hours of time on my coil solution. Again, a [solid] plastic coil stiffener is epoxied to the coil. Then a plastic side plate is added to both sides. Each coil ear is now 1/2" thick!  Let you guys know when I have 500 hours on it. I have also removed the two center coil supports for weight savings and water drag.

image.thumb.png.06fa324372d6acd80a22895816d55224.png

Obviously it must be a design fault as so many folks have reported this problem,but must admit i have never had any issues with any coil lugs snapping in all the decades that i have been detecting.Currently still own and use 50 coils in my collection and non have ever cracked but i will admit that after hearing about this Equinox coil lug issue i did invest in a coil lug strengthener from Ebay.

The only coil i thought i would have issues with but never did was the stock coil on my original T2,rather than tightening the coil bolts up really tight and possibly bending the lugs in and stressing them i usually add a small spacer and pack the rubbers out so they dont bend it.

• Like 3

Well,  I'm back from Georgia! I didn't get to do a lot of detecting! But my coil tab repair held up for the little i did!

Mostly hunted and spent time with my 85 year old dad, and my adult nephews! Three of the four of us got a deer! I was the last; with no wait! Walking to the blind, i jumped an eight point! He ran fifty yards and stopped to look back at me! Light's out!🦌 Shortest hunt I've ever had! Now if only i could do that with a gold coin, or a big diamond ring!😁

I'm planning on using my coil till my repair fails! Than I'll send it back for replacement! I looked closely at my stock AT Pro coil ears! They are nearly identical to the Nox coil ears! They have a good amount of scoring, and six years of hard, but careful use, and have never failed!

Take that for what it's worth, but i still say it's a ongoing flaw with the thermoplastic, or moulding process that ML is using!👍👍

• Like 1