More Details About Next Version Impulse AQ

Non-transferable...... hopefully not since the next version is going to be substantially more expensive.   Many of us dont like the Xcal for that very reason with its 1 year warranty.   Thats a classy looking machine and i like the upgrades considered .... any time frame for release yet or will this virus push it further into next year?   So those batteries will get about 6 hours?   Im kind of hoping Joe will jump on board with this one as well to give us 8 hours.  Personally id buy Joes idea and add it to the machine from the get go.

Thanks for these updates Steve.

• 1 year later...

Firstly, I looked on Fisher's website and can not find either this or the Gold Prospecting version listed.  Am I missing something?

Second, is this being designed and made in the US or somewhere else?

Thanks!

Walt

6 hours ago, Bohemia Miner said:

Firstly, I looked on Fisher's website and can not find either this or the Gold Prospecting version listed.  Am I missing something?

Second, is this being designed and made in the US or somewhere else?

Thanks!

Walt

Read the following thread front to back and you will get up to speed - basically the Impulse AQ Limited was never offered for general public sale except through a special list so Fisher did not advertise it. The Impulse Gold might see the light of day at some point but no one is making any concrete promises...

No one should really be holding their breath on this one based on how the AQ Limited paid beta program was (mis)handled by Fisher.  Neither First Texas nor Fisher seem interested in a serious competitive run against other manufacturers and the recent Garrett Axiom announcement may have really taken out what little wind was left in Fisher's sails.

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

They told me they are still selling the Limited.

The AQ has its own website and is not mentioned on Fishers site (which needs a redo anyway!).  https://fisher-impulse.com/

They told me the warranty is non-transferable although it is written such that it could be interpreted otherwise. 35$ for them to look at the machine and they pay shipping on the return. No idea of the repair cost though as they’d have to toss it and give you a new control head.  I’d like to know how they check the delay function without access to the sampling circuit…

• Like 1

Time flies. The Impulse AQ Limited started shipping to customers in June 2020. The Limited supposedly meant that only 99 were to be sold. Lots was said about an updated model that was to appear, supposedly in 2021, but if they still have not sold through the first batch of 99 Ltds over two years later, it's hard to see why there would ever be another version once the parts run out to make these. So if you want an Impulse, it might be that getting an AQ before they are gone is your best bet, as that may be all we ever see. I'll keep hoping an improved version does appear, and if not, there is always the Impulse Gold. I hope.

I remember the heady days of all the promises made below, how we would all experience innovation in real time, and how this was just a first edition of an entire new product line. But that was 2020 and for all of 2021 and 2022, two years, nothing, no new model, no communication, nothing at all. Turns out innovation in real time is not much to get excited about, at least in this case.

fisher-impulse-aq-letter-1.jpeg

fisher-impulse-aq-letter-2.jpeg

• Like 1

How would the Impulse Gold differ from the LTD for detecting wet salt sand at the beach?

Yup, in many ways, we were sold a bill of goods. You kind of wonder what they were thinking when it came to the cable/connection design, the pitiful battery life, and the type of connectors used. They claim that the coil and pod can handle more water depth, but, the M8 connectors won't. Well duh....why not use better connectors and get a much better depth rating? Even though it seems like it took forever for them to design this thing, It looks more like they threw it together at the last minute with whatever spare parts they had on the shelf.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Badger-NH said:

How would the Impulse Gold differ from the LTD for detecting wet salt sand at the beach?

The AQ has ground balance preset to act as a sort of discrimination control, so you have preset ground balance. That makes it pretty useless in hot rocks especially. I thought I could make it work in milder Nevada soils, and it was a total no go. The Gold model will have an adjustable ground balance as the most important factor. The good news there is it should also still work at the beach, though maybe only for wading. For me it was always the preferred option, a PI that could be used anywhere, as opposed to one that can only be used at the beach.

5 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The AQ has ground balance preset to act as a sort of discrimination control, so you have preset ground balance. That makes it pretty useless in hot rocks especially. I thought I could make it work in milder Nevada soils, and it was a total no go. The Gold model will have an adjustable ground balance as the most important factor. The good news there is it should also still work at the beach, though maybe only for wading. For me it was always the preferred option, a PI that could be used anywhere, as opposed to one that can only be used at the beach.

I have a White's TDI SL and it can be a nightmare, for maybe some of the same reasons, as the conductive salt water , at the surf line, destabilizes it into a "chatterbox."   

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Only for wading?  Would it not work well on the wet sand or do you mean that it can't be submerged? 

I don't need it to be waterproof. I'm not a water hunter. There's no need to get wet with 10 foot tides.