Ace Apex On Gold Nuggets?

Hi guys.  Waz from australia here, Perth.

Curious to see if the apex has a niche in our goldfields. 

I have purchased one and are waiting.

I could see it of use on mullock heaps and scrapings for fine gold. Do you agree?

What settings would you recommend for this type of detecting given mineralised ground, hot rocks etc.

Hoping it will be an ok prospecting detector in this sense, along with treasure hunting and prospecting on salt lakes..cheers waz

• Like 1

On 8/25/2020 at 5:58 PM, Wazzie Ozzie said:

Hi guys.  Waz from australia here, Perth.

Curious to see if the apex has a niche in our goldfields. 

I have purchased one and are waiting.

I could see it of use on mullock heaps and scrapings for fine gold. Do you agree?

What settings would you recommend for this type of detecting given mineralised ground, hot rocks etc.

Hoping it will be an ok prospecting detector in this sense, along with treasure hunting and prospecting on salt lakes..cheers waz

Welcome to the forum!

No threshold based all metal mode but you do have 20 kHz at least. Nobody knows which will be better on small gold - the Apex multifrequency mode, or the 20 kHz single frequency mode. You will probably want to use Zero Disc mode and dig everything, or Relic mode to eliminate most ferrous targets. Once you decide which, ground balance and set the sensitivity as high as can be obtained without excessive false ground signals. This really is not a nugget machine so there is next to nothing as far as adjustments go to work with. The word gold does not even appear on the detector target id guide at the top of the display, a pretty solid clue that an emphasis of gold was not a design goal. The machine would no doubt benefit greatly for nugget hunting by Garrett making a smaller accessory coil. Good luck!

garrett-ace-apex-controls-herschbach.jpg

• Like 2

Hey thanks steve thats great advice.

It wont be my main prospecting machine but was hoping it might do ok as a small nugget detector on patches or mullocks. But it sounds like you think it may not be any good in this sense??

I believe the AT Max does well on small gold - how does that machine differ from what the apex has or lacks?

I also believe there is a range of multiflex coils.coming for the apex which may assist nugget hunting?

Cheers Waz

Hello Waz,

Welcome to the forum!!

You just got some great advice from some of the most avid and experienced gold hunters here! They, and others, are a deep well of great advice and experience!

If you haven't posted an introduction in the Meet and Greet! Please do so, and give us some more info and background! Keep us posted on the Apex, and stuff!

Good Luck!!💰👍👍

• Like 1

Yes Simon!

You were the "Avid", and Steve was the "Experienced", in my description!! No offense to either of you if i got it wrong!! You can both be both, if you want!! It's more than i will ever know about prospecting, and nugget hunting!!🤣😂👍👍

12 hours ago, Wazzie Ozzie said:

Good to know. Looking to use it for these size nuggets....Probably near surface or within 3 or 4 inches deep.

If the ground noise is troublesome.... what would be some options I have to quiet the apex down??

Like I said, there are few options. The sensitivity control is really your main control for ground noise, assuming you are ground balanced. You can start with MF but all the other frequency options are there to try if multi is too noisy. Finally, if you have a particular false signal from a hot rock or other troublesome target, you can as a last resort notch that segment out.