John in Edmonton AB made this short video showing VDIs including a small gold picker and two short target recovery/separation tests.

https://youtu.be/vxdeA1F91Yk

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, Jeff.  A couple (small) surprises for me: a) he said he's had it for about a week; b) the lead bullets didn't appear to air test as deep as some of the gold (relative to size, anyway).  I assume he's not a Garrett shill even though he was wearing an advertising t-shirt.  Maybe they include those with the first released detectors?

I wonder when he did the recovery/separation part of the video if he was notching out iron.  I didn't hear the nail.

I suspect (hope) we'll be seeing a lot more on the Apex even in the next few days.

12 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Thanks for the link, Jeff.  A couple (small) surprises for me: a) he said he's had it for about a week; b) the lead bullets didn't appear to air test as deep as some of the gold (relative to size, anyway).  I assume he's not a Garrett shill even though he was wearing an advertising t-shirt.  Maybe they include those with the first released detectors?

I wonder when he did the recovery/separation part of the video if he was notching out iron.  I didn't hear the nail.

I suspect (hope) we'll be seeing a lot more on the Apex even in the next few days.

John was an official Apex tester. The Apex he is using in the video is a production model.

• Like 2
On 8/27/2020 at 10:49 AM, GB_Amateur said:

John is not a shill but what I’d call a brand loyalist, uses Garrett pretty much exclusively. Informative posts, never talks down the competition. Good guy, but don’t expect he’ll ever say anything but nice things about Garrett.

The Apex shipped out to “influencers” like John is boxed with a Apex hat and shirt... another smart marketing move by Garrett.

• Like 4

Hi guys 

I am told the Garrett AT max ground balances verywell in our highly mineralised WA goldfields in Australia (175 points of ground balance). It also picks up a lot of small gold here.

Knowing this would the garrett ace apex behave similarly, i.e. does it have similar ground balance features etc?

Waz

15 minutes ago, Wazzie Ozzie said:

Knowing this would the garrett ace apex behave similarly, i.e. does it have similar ground balance features etc?

No. They are completely different metal detectors from a performance perspective. If you mean control similarity, there is a lot of that. 

Cheers Steve. 

I was really asking does the apex have the same ground balancing capacity/settings as the AT max?

Some guys here in perth said they can ground balance well with at max in our wa goldfields.

So was hoping the apex was similar with regards to ground balancing. ....

Waz

HI-RESOLUTION GROUND BALANCE
175 points of ground balance resolution (like the Garrett AT Max), ranging from ferrous ground to saltwater.

• Like 1

The AT max has found some pretty small gold after ground balancing in hot ground  (so im told)...so hopefully there wont be any issues with sensitivity to gold once I ground balance in the mineralised soils.

Unless something with the Apex settings suggests it may?

At first I'm thinking, no threshold, no small gold.  I did an air test (@  20 kHz) and it found a 1.5 grain nugget at 1 inch !  I was glad to see that as the launch video indicated it would find "small gold nuggets".

• Like 1