I Hope It Doesn't Happen To You

Cudamark

Your dad was a smart man because that’s just one of my saying I like.

Another is Don’t bit off more than you can chew .

You may screw me one time but you’re not getting a Virgin but it will be your last time you do it to me .

Happier than a new rooster in a hen house . Bird in hand is better than two in bush .

Beauty is only skin deep but ugly is to the bone.

Chuck 

13 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Cudamark

Your dad was a smart man because that’s just one of my saying I like.

Another is Don’t bit off more than you can chew .

You may screw me one time but you’re not getting a Virgin but it will be your last time you do it to me .

Happier than a new rooster in a hen house . Bird in hand is better than two in bush .

Beauty is only skin deep but ugly is to the bone.

Chuck 

Okay, a little off-topic here but I can't resist one of my favorite metal detecting idioms: 

"The early bird catches the worm... but the second mouse gets the cheese!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hardtimehermit said:

...He said he was the vice president of the local detecting club....

Did he invite you to join?  Tell you when & where they meet, etc.?  Hopefully he was friendly and talkative (but apparently not apologetic) -- I mean he's not the one who maintains the lawn on that strip, right?!  (rhetorical question 😏)

• Like 1

Yes he did invite me to join and told me where they meet, and he was nice and polite besides digging almost in my yard almost 😄    I was not too interested in the monthly fee and figured i learn more from you guys anyway. 🤩

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

GB_Amateur I had many of those incidences over the years. The worst was on a farm that was an old Horse Race Course. This other person was detecting down near the entrance and I was a hundred meters away on a hill which I thought would be a good spectators spot. I was getting heaps of silver coins from 1860 to 1920's. The other person came over to me and 10 ft in front of me stopped and dug up a gold sovereign. That meant my wife had got her second gold coin and was now TWO in front of me.😪 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

These were my finds for the session.

IMG_20200826_135821.jpg

• Like 1

Things like this happen all the time. It hurts, but try to remember that it's only a hobby. At least for most of us. People have different values. You find those values out pretty quickly.

I once took a prospector (he is an active member of this forum) to a spot that was "open" ground, but this spot was new to him and he had never been shown the ropes or been there before. I showed him some places (exact spots) that I had found nuggets before and let him hunt that area. We hunted all day. I spent my time hunting a nearby area and found several nuggets. Showed him my finds and the holes they came from never expecting him to go back without me since he had never been to this spot before. He emailed me a few days later to show me all the nuggets he had found when he went back...Just goes to show that people have different values. I assumed that he wouldn't do that because I would never do that. He didn't even think that he had done anything wrong and probably still doesn't.

Life is short, don't stress about material things. Have fun and always remember karma. Next trip out you will probably find your best find of the year! If not, you spent a great day at the beach or gold field. There's always tomorrow.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This 'thread' is not only for me!  I know it happens in the nugget world also.

I'm old enough to forget the sting of the other night easily and just chalk it up to another experience.  But we all must remember that all is not 'fair' in love, war and treasure hunting!

• Like 3