I Hope It Doesn't Happen To You

Mitchel,

My take is that you don't always get what you want, but you got what you were supposed to get.  There are way to many external forces that change how and why and we can't control them.  Sure it may have been a good find, maybe it wasn't.  All my finds are considered junk until I test them and they test out to be good.  And I am a firm believer in Karma.  He will get claim jumped sometime and won't like it but that is payback and at some point in time, he will get his.

I think that we all feel a bit territorial on our detecting sites but in reality it is public property and everyone has the same rights to be there as we do.  Is it bad etiquette to jump on our line? Yep, sure is.  Was he an AH for doing it?  Yep in our minds he was.  From his point of view, he may have never been taught about detecting etiquette.  Maybe just a rookie, maybe just a jerk. 

No we don't always get what we want, but we always get what we are supposed to.   Good luck in the future with keep the nighthawks away!

Joe

• Like 4

That would, no doubt, bother me. However, I'm skeptical sometimes and I feel that there are some hunters out there that play games and try to discourage other hunters by pulling stunts like this. Not saying that this was the case here but I have had other detectorists come into "my" space  dig a target and make a "show" of stopping and looking at something intently, maybe bouncing it up in down in their hands trying to determine a weight.

They almost always move on like your "friend" did. If he had really found a white gold sapphire ring he probably would have stayed in the area? 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, cuniagau said:

My take is that you don't always get what you want, but you got what you were supposed to get.

I get what I find.  I don't know how to 'process' supposed to get.  (Example: I was 'supposed to get' those two rings on MY Patch (I found the patch) even tho it is on a public beach.)

I  say the sap sucker didn’t even find the ring .He just wanted to chap your rear making you think he found it . 

I had gotten my father out law ( in law ) interested in detecting . I’d go pick him up and take him hunting with me . I told him about picking up the trash he found and covering up his dug holes . He wasn’t too bad about covering up the holes but the trash he would throw it in a bush every time . Then we’d get to a school and it would be a long line of swings and I would give him the option on what side did he wanted to hunt .

You would think it shouldn’t be a problem but that makes us both wrong. As soon as I started to finding anything I’d look up and he had jumped over in front of me .

It was around the second time he done that I said no more. That made the last time I ever pick him up again.

Chuck 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Compass said:

That would, no doubt, bother me. However, I'm skeptical sometimes and I feel that there are some hunters out there that play games and try to discourage other hunters by pulling stunts like this. Not saying that this was the case here but I have had other detectorists come into "my" space  dig a target and make a "show" of stopping and looking at something intently, maybe bouncing it up in down in their hands trying to determine a weight.

They almost always move on like your "friend" did. If he had really found a white gold sapphire ring he probably would have stayed in the area? 

I had considered some of these possibilities also.  Did he really find it just near me or was it a stunt?  I'm taking the 'stunt' at face value because he did stay in that area for 15-20 minutes before he came to me and had me shine my visor light on it.  This guy is no rookie.  He was there because he knows the beach gives up goodies.  Lots of people hunt this beach but when you are there first that should have priority.

I'm not trying to claim the beach.  He had been detecting other beachs earlier in the night and was coming through this area and saw me.  He KNEW I was working a patch.  I had 'mapped it' and was working it when he chatted me.  If he was there doing what I was doing I would have let him be and gone to a different beach at least a quarter of a mile away.

One night a year or so ago a guy came through in a similar fashion.  He stopped detecting before he got to me and he didn't start detecting again for a respectable distance.  He chatted me too but he also showed me a chain he had found.  He didn't find it on my patch that night.  I hold no ill feelings about that meeting.

• Like 1

Claim jumpers used to bother me a lot. Now, they just bother me a little. Nothing worse than someone jumping right in front of you and getting a good target, but, I've also found some great targets BECAUSE someone did that. One time in particular sticks out in my mind. A local TOTAL A-hole that everyone I know hates, pulled that on me one day. He thinks the beach belongs to him and makes a point to interfere with your plans. I decided to not let him get my goat, so, I turned in another direction than I had planned. I went about 20 feet and found 2 nice gold rings. Now, I just figure if I was meant to find it, I will. The beaches here are huge with plenty of sand for everyone, even if it isn't the sand you planned on searching.

• Like 5

Anytime out detecting day are night and something tells you that this guy could put you in harms way. I don’t care if he is carrying a detector it may be best you just say I got to go and walk off .

Nobody likes my butt better than I do and I’ll do whatever it takes to keep it safe .

I know like one said it piss me off and I been there many times.

Think about this Would it be best to be piss off above ground are below ground where he put you .

Chuck 

I just started swinging my equinox back in early spring and i learned what downtown detecting was about pretty quick when i saw a guy in front of my house detecting the city strip. At first i thought cool a guy with a nox like me, so i go and talk to him and tell him how i just got my set up and was waiting on a digging tool, and i let him know i had already hit this strip pretty hard with my other detector. I figure the guy would move on, i mean there is a park right across my street, but he said he was the vice president of the local detecting club and continued to dig in front of my house, which kinda bummed me out because i had not had a chance to go over the strip with my nox, and i had found a 1901 Indian head so i was excited to see what else might be there. Of course he dug a couple more targets and who knows what he found. Oh well there's always more ground to hunt.🙃 

6 minutes ago, Hardtimehermit said:

I just started swinging my equinox back in early spring and i learned what downtown detecting was about pretty quick when i saw a guy in front of my house detecting the city strip. At first i thought cool a guy with a nox like me, so i go and talk to him and tell him how i just got my set up and was waiting on a digging tool, and i let him know i had already hit this strip pretty hard with my other detector. I figure the guy would move on, i mean there is a park right across my street, but he said he was the vice president of the local detecting club and continued to dig in front of my house, which kinda bummed me out because i had not had a chance to go over the strip with my nox, and i had found a 1901 Indian head so i was excited to see what else might be there. Of course he dug a couple more targets and who knows what he found. Oh well there's always more ground to hunt.🙃 

"vice president of the local detecting club"  :laugh:

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Ridge Runner said:

Anytime out detecting day are night and something tells you that this guy could put you in harms way. I don’t care if he is carrying a detector it may be best you just say I got to go and walk off .

Nobody likes my butt better than I do and I’ll do whatever it takes to keep it safe .

I know like one said it piss me off and I been there many times.

Think about this Would it be best to be piss off above ground are below ground where he put you .

Chuck 

Or, as my father used to say, "it's better to be pissed off, than pissed on"

• Haha 2