XP DEUS Goes High Frequency?

Steve Herschbach

Goldpick I have always been impressed how well you got to grips with the XPD and your finds have been incredible since then, It's a great machine but the cost of those coils is the only thing that holds me back, Only because they stick it to ya here, But the concept and the performance of the machine is first class, and I have a lot of respect for the XPD, and I like how every so often they roll out a new Software version, XP are always thinking ahead,

John

• Like 2

Goldpick, that is a terrific relic, I have never seen one posted before. I too am a big fan of the Deus. I think I enjoy using it more than any of my other detectors. My Deus isn't going anywhere except hunting with me.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Always on the lookout for an edge.

What appeals to me from a European historical trashy park diggers point of view aka coin hunting. Is the small elliptical combined with the 10 kHz. Not too high a frequency to illuminate all the foil and aluminium. Not too low to loose some weird coinage. Coinage with steel inserts, zinc coinage, aluminium coinage.

I really hope they've got their tracking spot on this time because that is what you need to make a precise "bottlecap/no-dig" guesstimate. And a coil that isn't razorsharp in seperation performance so it doesn't high-tone just about any flat piece of metal.

Super sleek and compact design combined with optimum coin performance should yield some very nice historical coins.

• Like 1

On 3/11/2016 at 11:45 AM, auminesweeper said:

Yeah, It's not a machine that impresses me, but for some reason the guys/gals that have them always seem to have the finds but there again I have searched the same ground and dug what they have missed, most likely through their bad coil control than any thing else, and there is some wild claims out there one of which I posted here yesterday, If I had to pick either the CTX or the Deus I would choose the CTX for one I trust ML and those $500 coils really hurt, and because I need the recovery speed without the expense of those coils has kept me using the machines I have, but our friends from Makro are about to change all that for me.

Yeah, it's great that ML has such inexpensive coils.

I have never accepted the idea that one companies coils being overpriced makes it acceptable that another companies coils should be overpriced. So no, it is not great that Minelab coils are so expensive and the fact that they are does not make paying through the nose for an XP coil any more palatable. At least XP has the excuse that each coil is actually a metal detector. The problem there is I already have the detector so buying another detector when all I want is the coil is redundant added expense.

A similar argument gets made constantly about the White's MX Sport debacle - that it is somehow ok because other detector companies have foisted detectors on us with problems. No, it's not ok that any of them do it. That is the message we need to be sending, not excusing bad behavior with bad behavior.

I have Minelab detectors and I have an XP also but I am never going to be happy spending more than maybe $250 for any metal detector coil.

For me it will depend mostly on if XP got it right with the new coil and if this coil works as well across the larger frequency range as the smaller span of frequencies of previous software versions. If not I'll still love the Deus, but not nearly as much. The current gold ability of the Deus is hard for me to comment on much fairly as I'm so new to this, but compared to using the GPZ and running the Deus over some small test nuggets, for now the Deus stays in the car except for when the boredom overtakes me and I just need a break, then the Deus opens some new ground and the possibility of cherry picking something interesting.

Like everyone else I'm also wishing the new higher frequency and coil will give me something close to gold racer performance in the Deus package. Combine all this with the lifetime updates, the XP build quality that seems pretty good to my unskilled eye and the redundancy afforded by having that second detector (coil) available if I'm off on a trip somewhere and there is some problem, I could at least still use the Deus because of all the redundancy in a small package with two detectors (coils) and two control units counting the headphones.

having all that I think gives the Deus some premium over just adding a new coil to the arsenal I guess and i'm also one who prefers to have as few coils to drag around a possible. Is twice the price reasonable for all the Deus brings to the table and the advantage of all wireless... Depends, I don't need it and could do the same thing for less money for sure, but what the Deus brings adds a lot of value for me by greatly increasing the time I spend out hunting because I like using the Deus a lot, it's a fun detector as you get more comfortable using it and I keep saying this, but it's such a pleasure to pack around and swing.

• Like 2

I don't look at it as buying a new coil, but as a new detector with 4 new freqs. By adding an other shaft and handle (which l have a lot of) I have 2 detectors.

• Like 1

I certainly agree about the new high frequency coil. You really are just buying a new detector and only reason I want one. If you have a DEUS with 9" coil though and all you want is an 11" coil - not so much.

I just hope we see V4 and the new coil this year. Last rumor was September but nothing says that date can't also slip.

Not to interested in 11"" coil, but am anxiously awaiting the elliptical and the 40kz.

• Like 1