Tracking Ground Balance

No I meant

22 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I assume you mean detectors still made. 

I guess I meant what I said.   Those are the ones that I am familiar with that readily come to mind and are still made - I don't have a detector features database in my head, so before I was going to do more research for him to seek out other (apparently non-Whites) models, I wanted to know the parameters of his needs and means to narrow down the search field.

26 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

I guess I meant what I said.

All's good on my end, Hugh.  Hope that's the case with you, too.

11 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

All's good on my end, Hugh.  Hope that's the case with you, too.

All's good here too, Chuck, just was trying to explain why I only mentioned those models based your quoting me and comment.  Agree, 705 is another good budget all arounder that does it too, just have never used one.  Problem, is when trying to explore this feature based on published specs it is difficult because metal detector manufacturers use terminology that that can interchangeably mean automatic ground balance (user initiated ground balance automatically set through pumping or trigger-based ground grab) and tracking ground balance (GB setting automatically updated based on detected changes in ground phase or mineralization) depending on the intent so things get pretty confusing unless you really have familiarity with the detector itself or can view the user guide.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Problem, is when trying to explore this feature based on published specs it is difficult because metal detector manufacturers use terminology that that can interchangeably mean automatic ground balance and tracking ground balance (e.g., AUTO-TRAK) depending on the intent so things get pretty confusing unless you really have familiarity with the detector itself or can view the user guide.

Oh, that.  We unfortunately have to live with metal detector companies 're-inventing the wheel' so-to-speak when it comes to terminology.  Drives me crazy (and not just me).  It doesn't have to be this way.  Sigh.  Oh, well, I don't think we have much influence over them in any regard, at least not those of us no-names.  The chances of this one changing is so miniscule I guess I should just give the topic a permanent rest.  (But I probably won't!  😏)

I like Fisher's (and others') term 'Ground Grab'.  I think that one is difficult to get confused over, but others may think differently.  Good luck getting *some* manufacturers to use that and let people think they give credit to a competitor for *anything*.  They'd rather eat nails.

I only detected with the Minelab X-Terra 705 for about a year between the Fisher Gold Bug Pro and the Fisher F75.  All of that was coin/relic/jewelry detecting; never took it out West looking for gold.  I never once used its Tracking feature.  Even for the Equinox I've only used Tracking once (tried it out) at Rye Patch while taking Gerry's class.  My experience here in S. Indiana hasn't shown much variation over 10's of meters scale (only one location that I've hunted even at that scale) so Tracking hasn't been necessary for me.

• Like 1

Agree, tracking is not something that really makes a difference under most situations, and in rare situation could be detrimental.  I would only use it in fields with wide variations in ground phase or in the surf if salinity levels are constantly changing to quiet down the detector.  In reality, unless you are running with no disc so that you can hear the ground feedback, you wouldn't necessarily be any more the wiser. (Unfortunately you quoted the old version of my post before I cleared up my discussion to note the difference between automatic and tracking ground balance - which also mentioned ground grab).