Comparing Deus Fast To The Sonar Program

abenson

Had a little fun comparing Deus Fast vs the Sonar program on an iron infested site. Didn't find anything good while filming the comparisons but I mixed in some good finds made by the Deus.

• Like 2

Great video and nice finds.'

Love Gary and his advice and videos, in general, but not a big fan of Gary's general resistance to using discrimination.  Essentially the only difference between Gary's Sonar program and Deus Fast is the use of the Deep signal processing filters and a higher reactivity which makes sense in thick iron and of course cranking the audio frequency of the high bin.  Once you make the decision to go to two tones, I feel you might as well go to pitch.  You can emulate the two tone ferrous effect in pitch by using discrimination and turning iron volume to on.  Why do  I like to use disc - two reasons:  first it helps to alleviate ferrous down averaging of nearby non-ferrous targets in bed-o-nails situations and second, having some disc dialed in ensures the horseshoe display works as intended (I know that Sonar uses Deep's XY display, but that is not a display I prefer).  A better comparison would be to set up Deus Fast and Deep identifically in terms of tone and reactivity to see how the Deep signal processing filter (Version 2 Deus) without disc differs from the Fast signal processing filter (version 5 Deus) with disc (2 tone with the high frequency high tone bin).  That way you get a true apples to apples comparison of how no-disc and disc behave and how the two signal processing algorithms (Deep and Fast) compare.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Great video and nice finds.'

Love Gary and his advice and videos, in general, but not a big fan of Gary's general resistance to using discrimination.  Essentially the only difference between Gary's Sonar program and Deus Fast is the use of the Deep signal processing filters and a higher reactivity which makes sense in thick iron and of course cranking the audio frequency of the high bin.  Once you make the decision to go to two tones, I feel you might as well go to pitch.  You can emulate the two tone ferrous effect in pitch by using discrimination and turning iron volume to on.  Why do  I like to use disc - two reasons:  first it helps to alleviate ferrous down averaging of nearby non-ferrous targets in bed-o-nails situations and second, having some disc dialed in ensures the horseshoe display works as intended (I know that Sonar uses Deep's XY display, but that is not a display I prefer).  A better comparison would be to set up Deus Fast and Deep identifically in terms of tone and reactivity to see how the Deep signal processing filter (Version 2 Deus) without disc differs from the Fast signal processing filter (version 5 Deus) with disc (2 tone with the high frequency high tone bin).  That way you get a true apples to apples comparison of how no-disc and disc behave and how the two signal processing algorithms (Deep and Fast) compare.

Nice rundown of how you prefer to set up the Deus. I know the sonar program was not initially intended to be run in heavy iron. It's very noisy and can be quite annoying at times. I personally like the deep program filters. Good thought though about setting the two different versions up the same so a person can see the true differences in the 2.0 vs 5.0.

• Like 1

If you need "on site" assistance with the Deus setup, I can make a "house call" and meet you at the site you were detecting.  :laugh:

Seriously, though great finds and great video.  Definitely check out the difference between the two signal processing filters and disc vs. no disc.  I think Deep and Fast both have a place in custom program slots.  Having a choice between the deeper and but sparky version 2 (Deep) processing and the more subdued version 4/5 processing is good and I am glad XP added it to the version 4 and 5 releases.  Like I said, I like to run with disc and iron volume vs. no disc like Gary, but either approach obviously works as your video shows.  Another minor disadvantage to Gary's approach is that if you do want to run multi-tones, his no disc setup eliminates a tone bin because he dedicates the lower two bins to iron whereas with disc  (with iron volume), only the lowest bin is dedicated to iron.  Happy hunting.

That was a great video to watch. I enjoyed it. I saw no difference really between the 2 programs other than how the tones were set. I think deus fast was just as good. You found some great stuff on that hunt. Very fun to watch!!

• Like 1