Apex Recovery Speed / Iron Separation

In the last 24 hours, there have been some rumblings over on Friendly that a YouTube video was posted showing a pre-production model in moderate iron trash performing very poorly. That video has been taken down by someone.......... Enough people saw it to comment and a couple of them know what they are talking about usually. I did not have a chance to see the video so I can't comment. There have been a couple of recent vids by Ohio Farm Hunter which really put me to sleep (not a bad thing) that showed a tester model which did not impress me.

Jeff

• Like 1

I should have an Apex in hand by the end of the week. Won't take long for me to see how it performs against a few of the detectors I've got in iron. I've got a simplex and a F19 fitted with the 5 x 10 and a Racer 2 fitted with the 7 x 11, that should be a pretty good comparison for the 6 x 11 on the Apex.

• Like 7

Abenson

Hey man that’s great . I for one looking forward on to hear what you have to say about the Apex.

Why don’t you start a new post when you’re ready to give us your review of the Apex .

The Best To You  

Chuck

Interesting for sure and probably first thing people will want to check.

It would not surprise me for a couple reasons. First, the low price. Why? What is missing?

Second, it took Minelab a couple decades to come up with fast multifrequency that separates well in iron. The previous BBS and FBS machines are very good at rejecting ferrous, but also slow machines with slow recovery speeds. XP exploited this weakness with great success when they came out with the Deus. In order for the empire to strike back at XP the number one design requirement was fast multifrequency. But before Multi-IQ one of the weaknesses of multifrequency, including Fisher CZ and White’s DFX/V3 models, has been slow recovery / poor ferrous separation. It should not surprise that a low price first effort at multifrequency by Garrett may be weak in this area.

Third, the new narrower profile Viper coil should separate better than wider Garrett coils. Was this a necessity to help a machine that might otherwise be lackluster?

But there it is in the specifications check list below - Fast Target Separation / Recovery. So does it have the goods in this department, or not? As a marketing type I will point out the missing info in the specification claim. Fast compared to what?

Luckily abenson is on it, and will come to some conclusions quite rapidly on this question. :smile:

garrett-ace-apex-metal-detector-technical-specifications.jpg

It looked fast in the videos I saw but that doesn't mean much. We'll be hearing soon.

I pointed this out somewhere in another thread but they use the exact same terminology in their AT Pro/Gold/Max spec tables borrowed from a Steve H. post here and we know about the fair-to-middling recovery speed performance of those rigs...so yeah, "Fast compared to what?" is exactly right.

garrett-at-pro-gold-max-specification-comparison-chart.jpg.b889c5ec446bc36350edf3201e932aaa.jpg

I had no issue testing the recovery speed. Hunting in the relic program with a minnie next to a large square nail I found it interesting when I turned down  the iron audio to zero I would get a good one way tone . Good target next to iron. Since I already know MF does not work in my evil red dirt it will be fun to see what the single frequencies do.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, George Kinsey said:

Since I already know MF does not work in my evil red dirt it will be fun to see what the single frequencies do.

Are you saying you have tried the Apex in MF in your ground and it does not perform? Or that you are making that assumption based on other machines?

Good to hear about the recovery speed. 👍🏻

Hey George,

Quick question or four,

How bad is your soil, and which detectors do you use most in it?? No multi works in it well??

I was looking at you list of detectors used in your profile, and didn't see an EQ 600 or 800 in there! Any reason??  And how well is the Tarsacci working out for you, vs it's price point?? 

A little off topic; i know!! Thanks!!👍👍

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Are you saying you have tried the Apex in MF in your ground and it does not perform? Or that you are making that assumption based on other machines?

Good to hear about the recovery speed. 👍🏻

It has limited depth performance in my ground. My GB came in at 90. Pure ferrite GB at 95. All detectors work here. Some better than others. The FBS, BBS, suffer the most. The Vanquish falsed and responded to the bedrock with good Visual numbers. The bedrock is very magnetic iron based. If you place a non-ferrous object on some rock it turns your signal to ferrous.This is why a ground balanced PI works. With this one I will hunt the milder soil.

• Like 1