Apex Recovery Speed / Iron Separation

4 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Hey George,

Quick question or four,

How bad is your soil, and which detectors do you use most in it?? No multi works in it well??

I was looking at you list of detectors used in your profile, and didn't see an EQ 600 or 800 in there! Any reason??  And how well is the Tarsacci working out for you, vs it's price point?? 

A little off topic; i know!! Thanks!!👍👍

My soil in places is some of the worst . I live south of Culpeper Va. Both Multi and VLF have limited depth capability. I tested both the 600 and 800 in a more milder ground. I did not care to have to dig  small non-ferrous which your kinda of forced to. I use a Tarsacci now. It will not be for most detectorist's. A keene ear is needed to  understand the sounds. Having the ability to not only do a standard ground balance and then to be able to balance the salinity in the soil is a big factor for me hunting pastures with livestock whose urine will cause issues. You must also understand the balance between the threshold and sensitivity adjustment. 

Like a signal balance control on an early Whites or on the Fisher Coinstrike. It's still a work in progress and it's true potential is still unknown.  I would not recomend any detector. But if your the curios type, and don't mind the cost, it's fun to use.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, George Kinsey said:

It has limited depth performance in my ground. My GB came in at 90. Pure ferrite GB at 95. All detectors work here. Some better than others. The FBS, BBS, suffer the most. The Vanquish falsed and responded to the bedrock with good Visual numbers. The bedrock is very magnetic iron based. If you place a non-ferrous object on some rock it turns your signal to ferrous.This is why a ground balanced PI works. With this one I will hunt the milder soil. I did not purchase the Apex based solely on MF or to use in extreme minerals.. I prefere the single frequency options unlike the Vanquish.

• Thanks 1

Thank's George,

I did a little geologic research! And now get the gist of the problems with the Culpeper area!👍👍

20200829_075723.jpg

20200829_075701.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes. I too did this search many years ago. The band can be narrow in places wide in others. I'm in "The Red Diabase Zone"  most of the time. The"Basalt Zone" is no fun either. Five bar dirt. Great job Joe.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

I tested both the 600 and 800 in a more milder ground. I did not care to have to dig  small non-ferrous which your kinda of forced to.

The flexibility that you are provided in setting up the 600 and 800 as compared to the Apex you have now (adjustable recovery speed, 2 adjustable iron falsing filters, adjustable ferrous and non-ferrous tone breaks, and multiple MF profiles vs. just 2 on the Apex - none of which are available on Apex), plus the single frequency capabilities of the Equinox, similar to what is provided on the Apex mean that with proper setup you are not "forced" to dig small non-ferrous with Equinox and likely have more versatility than Apex.  I dig in Culpeper too, have had success with the Equinox there (more success with the Deus, though) so I am scratching my head on this statement, George.  I know you are also making comparisons to the Tarsacci, of which I have no first hand experience, but that is not my point.  My point is that you now own an Apex that is very similar but has less setup versatility than the Equinox, yet your issues with the Equinox could have easily been addressed with the appropriate setup.  How long did you have the Equinox?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Didn't want to start any controversy here guys! Or get off subject!

I've only read bits and pieces concerning Culpeper, and thought it was interesting as to what works in those types of zones!( including  Apex) And was also wondering if the black sand beaches reacted in a similar fashion! Or are a whole different set of problems!

Just trying to increase my knowledge base for different types of areas i have never hunted in, for future reference! 

Maybe this deserves its own thread! Or already has one!

Thanks all!👍👍

3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The flexibility that you are provided in setting up the 600 and 800 as compared to the Apex you have now (adjustable recovery speed, 2 adjustable iron falsing filters, adjustable ferrous and non-ferrous tone breaks, and multiple MF profiles vs. just 2 on the Apex - none of which are available on Apex), plus the single frequency capabilities of the Equinox, similar to what is provided on the Apex mean that with proper setup you are not "forced" to dig small non-ferrous with Equinox and likely have more versatility than Apex.  I dig in Culpeper too, have had success with the Equinox there (more success with the Deus, though) so I am scratching my head on this statement, George.  I know you are also making comparisons to the Tarsacci, of which I have no first hand experience, but that is not my point.  My point is that you now own an Apex that is very similar but has less setup versatility than the Equinox, yet your issues with the Equinox could have easily been addressed with the appropriate setup.  How long did you have the Equinox?  Thanks.

I did not buy an Apex to use in Culpeper. I used the Equinox long enough to know it had limited abilities in Basalt and Diode rock. If I ever go up that way I use a GB Pi. I used it mostly on colonial iron sites. I'm not interested in digging low conductive metal to find something good with a similarTID number. Ponderous. I have sonic hearing.

Good luck with your selection. Maybe we passed each other one day in the field.

• Like 1

No controversey . We all know what we know.

• Like 1

The problem with any multifrequency detector is too strong TX from multiple transmitted frequencies ... if you add a smaller coil to this, the problems increase .... because Tx compression in ferrite mineralization will increase the signal strength from the ground on a small coil ....
It is no secret that higher frequencies are significantly less resistant to mineralization ... Where frequencies of 20khz and especially
40khz I will have more problems with processing mineralized terrain than the frequency of 5 kzh10 khz, and 15khz ... therefore the multifrequency that contains high frequencies will not be so stable ....

I remind you that it is visible only from a certain High degree of mineralization ...

An individual well-chosen frequency can have an advantage here ..... because it does not increase excess TX power ... which can strongly saturate a small detector DD or CC coil .. ,,

larger11  round"DD coils are more resistant to this phenomenon ..... and allow better processing of mineralization ...

• Like 3