Jump to content

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Are you saying you have tried the Apex in MF in your ground and it does not perform? Or that you are making that assumption based on other machines?

Good to hear about the recovery speed.¬†ūüĎćūüŹĽ

It has limited depth performance in my ground. My GB came in at 90. Pure ferrite GB at 95. All detectors work here. Some better than others. The FBS, BBS, suffer the most. The Vanquish falsed and responded to the bedrock with good Visual numbers. The bedrock is very magnetic iron based. If you place a non-ferrous object on some rock it turns your signal to ferrous.This is why a ground balanced PI works. With this one I will hunt the milder soil.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Joe D. said:

Hey George,

Quick question or four,

How bad is your soil, and which detectors do you use most in it?? No multi works in it well??

   I was looking at you list of detectors used in your profile, and didn't see an EQ 600 or 800 in there! Any reason??  And how well is the Tarsacci working out for you, vs it's price point?? 

A little off topic; i know!! Thanks!!ūüĎćūüĎć

My soil in places is some of the worst . I live south of Culpeper Va. Both Multi and VLF have limited depth capability. I tested both the 600 and 800 in a more milder ground. I did not care to have to dig  small non-ferrous which your kinda of forced to. I use a Tarsacci now. It will not be for most detectorist's. A keene ear is needed to  understand the sounds. Having the ability to not only do a standard ground balance and then to be able to balance the salinity in the soil is a big factor for me hunting pastures with livestock whose urine will cause issues. You must also understand the balance between the threshold and sensitivity adjustment. 

Like a signal balance control on an early Whites or on the Fisher Coinstrike. It's still a work in progress and it's true potential is still unknown.  I would not recomend any detector. But if your the curios type, and don't mind the cost, it's fun to use.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, George Kinsey said:

It has limited depth performance in my ground. My GB came in at 90. Pure ferrite GB at 95. All detectors work here. Some better than others. The FBS, BBS, suffer the most. The Vanquish falsed and responded to the bedrock with good Visual numbers. The bedrock is very magnetic iron based. If you place a non-ferrous object on some rock it turns your signal to ferrous.This is why a ground balanced PI works. With this one I will hunt the milder soil. I did not purchase the Apex based solely on MF or to use in extreme minerals.. I prefere the single frequency options unlike the Vanquish.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank's George,

I did a¬†little geologic research!¬†And now get the gist of the problems with the Culpeper area!ūüĎćūüĎć

20200829_075723.jpg

20200829_075701.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. I too did this search many years ago. The band can be narrow in places wide in others. I'm in "The Red Diabase Zone"  most of the time. The"Basalt Zone" is no fun either. Five bar dirt. Great job Joe.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, George Kinsey said:

I tested both the 600 and 800 in a more milder ground. I did not care to have to dig  small non-ferrous which your kinda of forced to.

The flexibility that you are provided in setting up the 600 and 800 as compared to the Apex you have now (adjustable recovery speed, 2 adjustable iron falsing filters, adjustable ferrous and non-ferrous tone breaks, and multiple MF profiles vs. just 2 on the Apex - none of which are available on Apex), plus the single frequency capabilities of the Equinox, similar to what is provided on the Apex mean that with proper setup you are not "forced" to dig small non-ferrous with Equinox and likely have more versatility than Apex.  I dig in Culpeper too, have had success with the Equinox there (more success with the Deus, though) so I am scratching my head on this statement, George.  I know you are also making comparisons to the Tarsacci, of which I have no first hand experience, but that is not my point.  My point is that you now own an Apex that is very similar but has less setup versatility than the Equinox, yet your issues with the Equinox could have easily been addressed with the appropriate setup.  How long did you have the Equinox?  Thanks.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't want to start any controversy here guys! Or get off subject!

   I've only read bits and pieces concerning Culpeper, and thought it was interesting as to what works in those types of zones!( including  Apex) And was also wondering if the black sand beaches reacted in a similar fashion! Or are a whole different set of problems!

   Just trying to increase my knowledge base for different types of areas i have never hunted in, for future reference! 

  Maybe this deserves its own thread! Or already has one!

Thanks all!ūüĎćūüĎć

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

The flexibility that you are provided in setting up the 600 and 800 as compared to the Apex you have now (adjustable recovery speed, 2 adjustable iron falsing filters, adjustable ferrous and non-ferrous tone breaks, and multiple MF profiles vs. just 2 on the Apex - none of which are available on Apex), plus the single frequency capabilities of the Equinox, similar to what is provided on the Apex mean that with proper setup you are not "forced" to dig small non-ferrous with Equinox and likely have more versatility than Apex.  I dig in Culpeper too, have had success with the Equinox there (more success with the Deus, though) so I am scratching my head on this statement, George.  I know you are also making comparisons to the Tarsacci, of which I have no first hand experience, but that is not my point.  My point is that you now own an Apex that is very similar but has less setup versatility than the Equinox, yet your issues with the Equinox could have easily been addressed with the appropriate setup.  How long did you have the Equinox?  Thanks.

I did not buy an Apex to use in Culpeper. I used the Equinox long enough to know it had limited abilities in Basalt and Diode rock. If I ever go up that way I use a GB Pi. I used it mostly on colonial iron sites. I'm not interested in digging low conductive metal to find something good with a similarTID number. Ponderous. I have sonic hearing.

Good luck with your selection. Maybe we passed each other one day in the field.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

No controversey . We all know what we know.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

    • By Steve Herschbach
      This is a Garrett forum for people who like Garrett detectors, so they can learn about how to get the best out of them. If you want to compare brands, or just state your negative opinion of Garrett or it's products, please use the appropriate forums, like the Advice & Comparisons Forum. Thanks.
    • By phrunt
      It may not be the best detector out of the competitors but it sure has the best coils!
      NEL Coils for Garrett Ace Apex
       
      All models of the NEL coils for Garrett Ace Apex metal detectors.
      For more information, see the coil model page:
      NEL Big for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Attack for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Storm for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Thunder for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Tornado for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Super Fly for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Hunter for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Sharpshooter for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Snake for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Sharp for Garrett Ace Apex
       
      So now, Garrett is back in the game and the Apex is suddenly interesting again.  It's quite funny, it's not what Garrett did that makes the Apex now the best Multi Frequency entry level detector for coil selection, it's what they didn't do.  By making it possible for aftermarket coil manufacturers they've dramatically improved their detectors desirability without doing anything themselves.
    • By phrunt
      It may not be the best detector out of the competitors but it sure has the best coils!
      NEL Coils for Garrett Ace Apex
       
      All models of the NEL coils for Garrett Ace Apex metal detectors.
      For more information, see the coil model page:
      NEL Big for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Attack for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Storm for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Thunder for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Tornado for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Super Fly for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Hunter for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Sharpshooter for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Snake for Garrett Ace Apex NEL Sharp for Garrett Ace Apex
       
      So now, Garrett is back in the game and the Apex is suddenly interesting again.  It's quite funny, it's not what Garrett did that makes the Apex now the best Multi Frequency entry level detector for coil selection, it's what they didn't do.  By making it possible for aftermarket coil manufacturers they've dramatically improved their detectors desirability without doing anything themselves.
       
    • By calabash digger
      I decided to go to my local dealer and buy them..... here is a look at all three...

    • By calabash digger
      Testing all three on some deep targets...
       
×
×
  • Create New...