Recon On New Permission

Had a little time for a property tour and short initial water hunt at a new permission this afternoon...the place holds promise!  It's an old cabin/vacation spot that dates back to the early 1900s. I happened across the owner at the public access last week, and he offered free reign to detect it anytime. After running thru the water a bit, I realized it has likely not been detected in the past...or not detected very thoroughly. Dug a few nickels, including the no date buffalo...and numerous old pull tabs and ring tabs. The ring turned out to be just gold plate, but I believe it has some age to it.  The other pic is of the lower jaw from a northern pike...was an interesting item to see in the scoop! I still can't believe I stumbled across a site like this these days...will definitely be many future trips back to this place. The owner is super cool and friendly. Hope y'all got out today as well...beautiful, cooler weather today and tomorrow here in MN.

2020-08-29_1.thumb.jpg.1d5978dab8508bfa6e7a384d8a36fbe9.jpg2020-08-29_2.thumb.jpg.4fb8711198c3abfca2d1e6034d2311f4.jpg2020-08-29_3.thumb.jpg.6d068d40f58129ebc2ee3bee9cd1ea01.jpg

• Like 7

I wonder if that's a Woodman of the World ring.  Nice!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, GaryC/Oregon Coast said:

I wonder if that's a Woodman of the World ring.  Nice!  GaryC/Oregon Coast

In researching the ring tonight, that is what I came up with, Gary. Couldn’t find a way to get a rough estimate on age though.

Jeff

14 hours ago, MN_Digger said:

The other pic is of the lower jaw from a northern pike...was an interesting item to see in the scoop!

Is the quarter on the left pre-1965 (silver)?  Sounds like you've found virgin ground -- dry part and wet.  Keep us updated on your finds.  And with September two days away I bet your detecting days for 2020 are getting in short supply in MN.

For those not familiar with (northern) North American freshwater fish, the northern pike is nicknamed "freshwater barracuda", and that illustration shows why.  Typically harmless (but don't try to remove a hook from a mouth using your bare hand!) although I've seen on River Monsters tv show they can bite humans who are swimming or wading, on rare occasions.

And I can hear you Australians:  "You call that a dangerous fish??..."  😁

• Like 3

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Is the quarter on the left pre-1965 (silver)?  Sounds like you've found virgin ground -- dry part and wet.  Keep us updated on your finds.  And with September two days away I bet your detecting days for 2020 are getting in short supply in MN.

For those not familiar with (northern) North American freshwater fish, the northern pike is nicknamed "freshwater barracuda", and that illustration shows why.  Typically harmless (but don't try to remove a hook from a mouth using your bare hand!) although I've seen on River Monsters tv show they can bite humans who are swimming or wading, on rare occasions.

And I can hear you Australians:  "You call that a dangerous fish??..."  😁

Thanks for the reply, GB.  I thought for sure that quarter and the dime in the upper left were silver when I first saw them in the scoop, but no luck. Quarter is 1986 and the dime from the 1970s. As for detecting days left, it depends on mother nature. I'm one that would much rather detect when it's 40*F outside than when it's in the 90s like it has been so much this summer...I'll dig until the ground is frozen solid!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MN_Digger said:

As for detecting days left, it depends on mother nature. I'm one that would much rather detect when it's 40*F outside than when it's in the 90s like it has been so much this summer...I'll dig until the ground is frozen solid!!

I've noticed different attitudes depending upon typical weather.  For example, Arizonans and Aussies are willing to detect when many of us (well, at least I) would think we were going to die of the heat.  Northerners just the opposite -- cold, what cold?  But even after the ground freezes and piles up with snow you Northerners break out the skis, snowshoes, ice skates, lake fishing shanties, sleds, and snowmobiles (or whatever your favorite name is for that vehicle) and have a ball in the sub-zero (Fahrenheit) winter!

"Attitude is everything."

13 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

I've noticed different attitudes depending upon typical weather.  For example, Arizonans and Aussies are willing to detect when many of us (well, at least I) would think we were going to die of the heat.  Northerners just the opposite -- cold, what cold?  But even after the ground freezes and piles up with snow you Northerners break out the skis, snowshoes, ice skates, lake fishing shanties, sleds, and snowmobiles (or whatever your favorite name is for that vehicle) and have a ball in the sub-zero (Fahrenheit) winter!

"Attitude is everything."

Very true, GB...when winter lasts ten months out of the year, a guy has to make the best of it!!! 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

2020-09-16_1.thumb.jpg.3e65ce5aeb9bff6c1887cd200a1e7532.jpg

Took a couple days off work to do some detecting...finally got back to this spot yesterday for a little longer hunt. The water is down about 4' from it's "normal" level, so there is strip of exposed lake bottom about 50-60' wide X 300' long. This trip I concentrated on getting the high conductors out of the way. There are a TON of low-mid conductors here...can't wait to start picking thru those. Ended up with the items in the picture and an ice cream pail of junk.

2020-09-16_2.thumb.jpg.c37e314afcf9bce9308a4ef7bf13341f.jpg

Ended up with three silver dimes, silver ring, couple 30's wheat cents, St Lawrence Seaway pendant and chain, and a cool old Evan Owen's barber shop trade token. The spoon says "PLATED WITH PURE SILVER", but most of the plating is gone. It was a very fun hunt and the weather was perfect! Looking forward to the next trip back here...

• Like 3