Getting Closer To The River Crossing

Got out to another new permission along an area river today. I'm trying to zero in on an old river crossing spot that was used from the mid-1850s thru the late-1890s, and this property was my next step. Found quite a few old paper shotgun shell bases and a couple musket balls...then this old, brass black powder flask came out from under this old oak tree. Even though it's in poor condition, this was a really enjoyable find for me as it's proof that I'm getting closer to finding the area I'm looking for. I've included an image I found online of a complete flask. The write ups I looked at all put in the 1800s, but will try to hone in on a closer estimate for age.  Another absolutely beautiful day here in MN...hope y'all got out today too!

2020-08-30_1.jpg

2020-08-30_2.jpg

2020-08-30_3.jpg

• Like 5

I believe this one is a better match...supposedly mid-1800s.

2020-08-30_4.jpg

• Like 2

Do you know what the pieces are with the animal picture?

3 minutes ago, TreasureHunter5 said:

Do you know what the pieces are with the animal picture?

The first two images are the flask items I dug today. The other two are just pictures for example of the complete flask as it would’ve been when in use. Apologize if that was confusing!!

13 hours ago, MN_Digger said:

I believe this one is a better match...supposedly mid-1800s.

Yes, that looks like a match.  Appears to be a rabbit head, anyway, but not sure about the rest of the body.  Looks like you got most of the pieces.  Were they all found close together?  I wonder if it was complete when lost and broken up over time by nature, or if it was already in pieces and intentionally discarded.

That's a nice (and possibly rare) piece of history.  Excellent find!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

Yes, that looks like a match.  Appears to be a rabbit head, anyway, but not sure about the rest of the body.  Looks like you got most of the pieces.  Were they all found close together?  I wonder if it was complete when lost and broken up over time by nature, or if it was already in pieces and intentionally discarded.

That's a nice (and possibly rare) piece of history.  Excellent find!

GB, if you look at the complete flask as it would've hung (nipple up), the rabbit and pheasants are hanging from a lanyard. Hunters used to hang small game they had harvested over their shoulder to carry them home.

It all did end up coming out of the same hole. Really makes you wonder how it ended up there, doesn't it? It was right at the base of a large, old oak tree. Fun find!

• Like 2

Oh, the pieces with the animal is the body of the flask. I didn’t look at it that way. Oops.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments, Tom and Cal...appreciate you taking a look!