Getting Closer To The River Crossing

Some outstanding images and a great story,we have some very interesting river crossing (fords) here in the UK,have one local to me about 1/2 mile away it was one of the main through roads into our village for herds of animals and travellers in general.But the biggest part of this river crossing is the history goes back to at least roman times and possibly beyond.

River crossing are/can be very interesting hunting grounds as the romans use to worship the water gods and throw votive offerings like coins and other items into the water at these crossing.Hence its good to use a detector like the Nox with a small coil and detect the area and have found some nice finds over the years,also about 250-300 years ago they built a small humpback bridge along the same location as the ford more for horse and carts,but over the years you can find some other interesting items like items from thefts over the last few hundred years folks have left the scene of the crime and they throw things like guns,safes and anything else that they dont want from these robberies.

So detecting and also magnet fishing can also provide some great finds from these river crossings both modern and also much older going back to roman times.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, RickUK said:

Some outstanding images and a great story,we have some very interesting river crossing (fords) here in the UK,have one local to me about 1/2 mile away it was one of the main through roads into our village for herds of animals and travellers in general.But the biggest part of this river crossing is the history goes back to at least roman times and possibly beyond.

River crossing are/can be very interesting hunting grounds as the romans use to worship the water gods and throw votive offerings like coins and other items into the water at these crossing.Hence its good to use a detector like the Nox with a small coil and detect the area and have found some nice finds over the years,also about 250-300 years ago they built a small humpback bridge along the same location as the ford more for horse and carts,but over the years you can find some other interesting items like items from thefts over the last few hundred years folks have left the scene of the crime and they throw things like guns,safes and anything else that they dont want from these robberies.

So detecting and also magnet fishing can also provide some great finds from these river crossings both modern and also much older going back to roman times.

The river ford and bridge areas always amaze me at the age range of the things you find.  I can only imagine (and dream of) being able to find the age range that you're able to in the UK! Thanks for your comments, Rick...much appreciated!

• Like 1

Great to see a powder flask posted up , they are one of my favorite finds no matter what condition . There never seems to be two the same and are art works in brass and copper . I have long wondered why there are so few posted here . I have thought about posting up a powder flask topic that everybody could contribute to but wonder if there would be any interest ? I hope your bridge / ford area continues to give up finds like this .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hunterjunk said:

Great to see a powder flask posted up , they are one of my favorite finds no matter what condition . There never seems to be two the same and are art works in brass and copper . I have long wondered why there are so few posted here . I have thought about posting up a powder flask topic that everybody could contribute to but wonder if there would be any interest ? I hope your bridge / ford area continues to give up finds like this .

Thanks for the comments, HJ...much appreciated!  It would be interesting to see what may get posted up in a powder flask thread. I think it's a great idea!

• Like 1