Apex Unbiased Field Testing

Submitted by Detector Ben in eastern Nebraska. He is an independent user of his new Apex testing on deep targets and his own test bed/iron separation. Comparison with the Nox 800. (I wonder what his iron bias and iron volume settings were on the Nox 800) He actually answered this question on another forum. He had his iron bias on F2=4 and his iron volume was on its lowest setting (which is why we could not hear it on the video going over the square nail). Sometimes the Nox will give an iron tone on deep targets with no VDI.

Thanks for the great video Ben!!!!

I'm keeping my money in my wallet.

Jeff

• Like 7

That barber dime looks like I feel these days- worn and tired of the bs.

Sure seems like the Apex is similar to the what I have read and seen with the AT-Pro. It loves to call decent things Iron.  I like the way the Apex looks, but will wait to seriously consider one. Rather wait until this beta version is out and see what comes after it. Should be a more polished product.

The Equinox gave a wide ID range on the deep silver Barber Dime. However, there was never a hint of iron buzz in the audio. On the other hand, the Apex seems to throw all kinds of iron audio out on good stuff.

Not throwing the Apex over a cliff here, just going on ONE video. I bet different soils also make a difference in how it responds. I do like how clean the Apex looks, unfortunately it is like a Corvette on the outside with a 4 cylinder engine on the inside. I hope they mature this tech and really open it up on further models. No shade or dirt thrown on Garrett, I truly want them to have something special. We desperately need USA detector companies to shine brightly. Still pulling for them. Bet it does well on more shallow targets.

• Like 1

Apex is pretty deep for a 6" wide coil, to be fair the should use the 6" coil on the Nox or compare to a Vanquish with coil of same width.

I would have turned that iron audio way down 🙂

• Like 1

In normal dirt, which Ben has for the most part, the Apex should get around 7.5 to 8" with and 11X6" coil. The Equinox 6" coil would have hit all of those targets in that dirt. It can do 8" on coin sized targets even out here in highly mineralized dirt.

The iron audio on the APEX sounded very familiar. (Spent days and days hunting nuggets with an AT Gold. That sound gives me nightmares!.) I know he said he had the iron audio turned up for the video.

I hate to say it but, nothing to see here at the moment.........compared to several other newer tech detectors including the Simplex!!!!!

• Like 2

I've got to agree with Rob, and kac!

Decent video for "real" first on the Apex! But it's no 800 for sure; and i know it's not ment to be!  I to would like to see a matured multi AT verson; sooner than later! Another coil may keep up better on depth id! Time will tell!

Good luck Garrett; and more real world testing will lead you in the right direction!👍👍

• Like 3

To be fair to the APEX, like I said earlier, Ben had the iron volume on the Apex turned up fairly high so it could be heard on the video. It could have been turned down to its lowest audible setting and might have sounded okay with headphones. Personally, no matter what the volume level is, the qualities of the APEX iron tone are annoying to me and the low squawk/grunt/fart pitch cannot be changed like it can on some other detectors.