Apex Unbiased Field Testing

Never personally liked Garrett detectors,although the new Apex does look rather slick design wise,i never ever would buy a new detector model for a minimum of 12 months from launch as this i feel gives it plenty of time to see if anything major design wise or even software glitches start appearing.

Of course one can not come to any conclusion from just watching just a couple of videos,but must admit i am glad that from i have initially seen this wont be one for my detecting arsenal.

• Like 1

The light weight, interface and MF ability on salt seems to be the standout features so far on the Apex.  Doesn't seem to perform much better than an Ace 400 in a park situation despite being MF.  Fitted with a larger coil for more depth gains is obviously going to have a downside of even worse separation in junky ground or in iron.  

Have also seen some pricing for Australian customers, seems to be pitched right up against the Equinox 600 at around $899 au for just the detector and a tad over $1000 with the wireless headphone package.  I know which one I would prefer for that money, both on performance and features on offer.  

My take:

Yes in multi it does not appear to hold a candle to the Nox.  But frankly, entry level MF is NOT about depth.  I think this less sophisticated MF should be relegated to beach work for stability.  This is an ACE level machine.  I think folks are missing a significant feature first for Garrett here because of the over-fascination with simultaneous muilti-frequency (SMF).   This is also Garrett's first multiple selectable single frequency machine as well.  For the type of hunting demonstrated in the video (turf-based coin shooting), I suspect that a detectorist would have better luck hunting in 5 or even 10 khz.  I do think the coil is holding back the Apex somewhat on depth so it probably still would not compete with Equinox even on the SF front, but I suspect the differences would be less stark.

It should be noted that there is NOT a less expensive multiple selectable single frequency machine on the market today and that is probably its true strength as a terrestrial detector with a the stability bonus on wet salt beach that SMF and SMF Salt bring to the table.  I think people should be viewing this as a value/budget selectable multiple single frequency machine, first and foremost, and the SMF aspect as a secondary bonus for salt beach stability.  Neither of those features are present in the AT series so it brings a lot to the table at its price point.  Garrett really does also need to work on refining that gawd awful iron tone and bringing some sophistication to enable tone options and tone break adjustments and seriously look at providing some ability to vary and trade recovery speed off with depth either directly or buried in the tone/mode options.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The entry level simultaneous multi frequency Vanquish IS about depth and target ID accuracy. In both cases from what I have seen so far, the Vanquish simultaneous MF far exceeds that employed on the APEX.

Selectable single frequency is a great feature if one has the soil conditions to use that feature to the fullest. Without those soil conditions, simultaneous multi frequency operation can be an advantage.

Depending on how Garrett's Apex selectable single frequencies have been implemented there may be a depth advantage or maybe not.

For a selectable single frequency detector in good dirt, I would rather have a Multi Kruzer, base ORX or Deus Lite or even a Quest Q60. If you call a reputable dealer here in the US, those detectors can be bought for $100 more than the APEX. For $150 more than the APEX in the USA, you can buy an Equinox 600 which from what I have seen from Ben and read from Abenson would be well worth the extra expense compared to the APEX. It isn't even close. The Vanquish 540 is looking really good too. And then there is the impressive Simplex.

It's really too bad. It is all very nice that Garrett managed to put all of these features into a good looking metal detector. I had hoped for something much more impressive performance wise from Garrett however. The elongated audio worried me in all of the videos I saw and like Steve H. warned us earlier in August........it is still just a Garrett Ace.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Jeff McClendon said:

The entry level simultaneous multi frequency Vanquish IS about depth and target ID accuracy. In both cases from what I have seen so far, the Vanquish simultaneous MF far exceeds that employed on the APEX.

I should have phrased that better - this is Garrett's first generation entry into MF.  Vanquish happened after ML had designed and fielded no less than 7 or 8 simultaneous multifrequency machines and no less than 4 generations of SMF (BBS, FBS, FBS2, and MultiIQ).  I was not expecting much from Garrett's first SMF other than perhaps salt beach stability.  I was delighted that they put selectable multi-frequency in an ACE level machine.  That has not been done yet.  Whether it is $100 or $250, the fact is that you do have to open that wallet more  just to get that feature in any other machine and that CAN be deal breaker probably to most folks that might consider the Apex Ace or other detectors in that category.

I agree with you that Garrett seems to ignore some essential capabilities and features like that awful iron tone, lack of tone break and tone adjustments, and perhaps most importantly, recovery speed and even a crude mode method of adjusting that (like exists on the Vanquish).  Probably is the reason they put a 6x11 stock coil on Apex.  Hopefully they can address that in a future detector design iteration.

It is a serviceable, affordable multiple selectable single frequency machine that happens to have an MF mode that might be useful on the beach.  No more, no less.  Appropriately priced in the Ace/Vanquish/Simplex category.  

Apex is not something I will seek out, probably.  Vanquish does not float my boat either because it is useless in my soil with it's fixed GB and inability to save multiple setups other than the one slot you are allocated which is necessary to be able to switch modes for target interrogation.  Simplex is feature rich but also suffers from some drawbacks and, of course, is held back by being a single frequency machine.  I see each of these machines excelling in situations where the other two may fail or at least be held back by their flaws.  None of them touch the Equinox 600 for all around versatility, value, and performance.  And that makes sense because the 600 costs at least $150 - $250 more than any of these other machines.  That price delta IS important to many folks.

It is a huge upgrade for Ace users and good upgrade for AT users. I think Garrett will do well with this first gen smf machine. Coil options will be key, will there be a concentric? Will 3rd party companies be allowed to make coils? I think for general hunting that machine will do well. I do have to admit the only time EMI was ever an issue on my AT Pro was with the Nel Big coil on it. I would think this machine holds to the same stability. I can't say the same for my Tesoro or Makro.

• Like 3

On 8/17/2020 at 2:07 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

The more I look at it, the more I think Garrett nailed it calling this an Ace. It really is just an Ace that offers a multifrequency mode for the salt beach. That's it. I honestly don't think there is anything more to see here.

All I can say is I am disappointed to not be disappointed. The price said it all. With very rare exceptions detectors are priced to reflect relative performance and features. Ace 400 for $339 or step up to Ace Apex for $424 and add built in wireless, rechargeable battery, and MF beach hunting capability. That’s how the sales guy would present it, and that’s what Garrett has done. They should sell a pile of them to people wanting a top end Ace, not those wanting an Equinox 800 at half price.

No doubt experience gained from this will go into the more powerful AT Apex down the road.

• Like 4

Doesn't look like anything I'd want to spend money on either. I wonder what the sound and target I.D. would be like without running it in all metal. I agree the sounds it makes would grate on my ears.

23 minutes ago, cudamark said:

Doesn't look like anything I'd want to spend money on either. I wonder what the sound and target I.D. would be like without running it in all metal. I agree the sounds it makes would grate on my ears.

It would basically sound the same.  Iron volume works whether or not you are running all metal, it is just that the iron discrimination breakpoint changes at the point between the low tone and the iron tone, if you are running disc.  In all metal (more accurately zero disc mode) or in disc mode you can turn iron volume all the way off.

Steve breaks it down pretty well here:

On 9/1/2020 at 12:17 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

All I can say is I am disappointed to not be disappointed. The price said it all. With very rare exceptions detectors are priced to reflect relative performance and features. Ace 400 for $339 or step up to Ace Apex for $424 and add built in wireless, rechargeable battery, and MF beach hunting capability. That’s how the sales guy would present it, and that’s what Garrett has done. They should sell a pile of them to people wanting a top end Ace, not those wanting an Equinox 800 at half price.

No doubt experience gained from this will go into the more powerful AT Apex down the road.

Probably needless to say folks are brand loyal. And the made in America factor for those who held out or are ready for something new and didn’t pull the trigger on an Equinox or Vanquish.  They will say “take my money Garrett” regardless of the reviews.  Something about their down to earth marketing that makes one want to root for them....

I’m all for supporting a domestic brand if it is a compelling product and good value, even at a slight premium. I was rooting for Fisher/Garrett/Whites to come out with something more compelling. Simplex wasn’t compelling to me.  Vanquish would have been compelling in a weatherproof packaging like my F22. I ended up with an Equinox 600. Had I held out longer, this Apex with the headphones might have been my choice. Or at a different price point, whatever next machine they have hinted already. 

Now though I’ll stick with the 600 and learn it well. Not compelling enough to switch even if I could get what I paid for it back.  

I kind of expect a price drop on their current models below and above the Apex.