Apex Unbiased Field Testing

On 8/31/2020 at 3:33 PM, RobNC said:

That barber dime looks like I feel these days- worn and tired of the bs.

Sure seems like the Apex is similar to the what I have read and seen with the AT-Pro. It loves to call decent things Iron.  I like the way the Apex looks, but will wait to seriously consider one. Rather wait until this beta version is out and see what comes after it. Should be a more polished product.

The Equinox gave a wide ID range on the deep silver Barber Dime. However, there was never a hint of iron buzz in the audio. On the other hand, the Apex seems to throw all kinds of iron audio out on good stuff.

Not throwing the Apex over a cliff here, just going on ONE video. I bet different soils also make a difference in how it responds. I do like how clean the Apex looks, unfortunately it is like a Corvette on the outside with a 4 cylinder engine on the inside. I hope they mature this tech and really open it up on further models. No shade or dirt thrown on Garrett, I truly want them to have something special. We desperately need USA detector companies to shine brightly. Still pulling for them. Bet it does well on more shallow targets.

excellent point  ! ya noticed ..huh? this thing seems to like deep iron!..that gets real old real fast
in the field!  it's possible it can be improved on in software!.or maybe sh*t crawls up hill!  results in the field 
are what counts, the rest as the say is "crap!" SO FAR, the vanquish pro-pack appears to be the better value.
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)

j.t.

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jeff McClendon said:

In normal dirt, which Ben has for the most part, the Apex should get around 7.5 to 8" with and 11X6" coil. The Equinox 6" coil would have hit all of those targets in that dirt. It can do 8" on coin sized targets even out here in highly mineralized dirt.

The iron audio on the APEX sounded very familiar. (Spent days and days hunting nuggets with an AT Gold. That sound gives me nightmares!.) I know he said he had the iron audio turned up for the video.

I hate to say it but, nothing to see here at the moment.........compared to several other newer tech detectors including the Simplex!!!!!

me too jeff!..the garrett should have "wailed" on that barber at 8" absolute crap for a signal, and 360 degree iron!
(w.t.f.!) the 800 nailed it with solid id and high tones! what's NOT to like? finding the goodies at depth in junk filled parks
is what the detector HAS to do!..so far, the vanquish in 340 guise seems to be the better detector...just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jmaryt said:

excellent point  ! ya noticed ..huh? this thing seems to like deep iron!..that gets real old real fast
in the field!  it's possible it can be improved on in software!.or maybe sh*t crawls up hill!  results in the field 
are what counts, the rest as the say is "crap!" SO FAR, the vanquish pro-pack appears to be the better value.
i'm just sayin'

(h.h.!)

j.t.

I wonder if they made it update capable? One would hope they did. It is still in Beta phase looks like. I'm not totally shooting it down because I really like how smooth the design is and how the screen looks.  Really do hope they straighten out the kinks and turn it into a more useful unit.

Although it is "out" you sort of get the feeling it wasn't quite finished at this point. Some refinements internally obviously need to be done.

• Like 1

What would be interesting is the Apex pitched up against the Ace 400, both in recovery speeds and overall depth on similar targets.  Considering the Ace 400 has fixed GB, one would hope that the addition of GB ability and MF on the Apex would at least have some gains over Garrett's entry level detectors.  If not, why - has it been dumbed down a tad to make for a greater distinction between a mid level detector and a future AT version?  I know that we are assuming that the Apex is an entry level detector judging by its initial testing results, though pricing at least here in Oz is suggesting that it is actually pitched up against mid level detectors, and ones that we know will out perform the Apex in many ways. 

I guess it is something that annoys me a bit when some manufacturers do hinder performance on various models to create a pecking order in their lineup ( whether that be deliberate or simply due to lack of development of the platform), when they possibly could have offered more bang for your buck in the first place.  Better to surprise your customers rather than serve up something luke warm from the outset - set the bar high and reap the rewards.

As an entry level detector, the Simplex has a lot going for it considering it costs a whopping $420au less than the Apex in Oz, and Nokta/Makro detectors are also half decent performers on the beach for single frequency detectors, not to mention being waterproof.

If the Apex can indeed be updated, lets hope things can be improved in due course, just as the subsequent updates for the Simplex have done so due to customer feedback.

I’ve seen two comparison videos recently; this one with the Nox and the other was a Simplex.  The problem with these guys is they’re comparing apples to oranges.  They’re running these machines in one of the preset programs like “Park” and comparing them to the Apex with zero discrimination.  Not a very fair test if you ask me.  They should at least have put it in Coin mode or run both in “All Metal”.

18 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

I’ve seen two comparison videos recently; this one with the Nox and the other was a Simplex.  The problem with these guys is they’re comparing apples to oranges.  They’re running these machines in one of the preset programs like “Park” and comparing them to the Apex with zero discrimination.  Not a very fair test if you ask me.  They should at least have put it in Coin mode or run both in “All Metal”.

Speaking only of the Equinox to Apex comparisons I’ve seen,  Park mode does not mean that the Equinox was not run in zero disc mode. FYI.  Park mode simply establishes the MF profile used.  The user can then adjust disc as they see fit.  From what I’ve seen in the Apex to Equinox comparisons it was indeed apples to apples with disc turned off on the Equinox while running zero mode on the Apex.

26 minutes ago, Bohemia Miner said:

The Apex in coin or jewelry mode vs the Simplex in Park 1 or Park 2 mode actually gets it's butt kicked worse. Apex in pro zero is actually the best performing mode in iron and that's why it was used. 

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Steve Herschbach said:

So basically we have an Ace with a salt beach mode. So I wonder, Ace Apex with 6” x 11” coil at $424 versus Vanquish 440 with 7” x 10” coil at $279...... is there anything at all an Apex can do better than the 440 for $145 extra?

operationally, No. The Apex does have built in wireless and the 440 doesn't. It also has 5 tones instead of three on the Vanquish.........

For the person who said the APEX vs Equinox was apples to oranges.......both detectors were being used with all metals accepted and the Equinox for instance was being used in its most basic dry land configuration, Park 1 multi. Apex was in zero mode multi. You can't get much closer in comparison except to put them both in their beach modes. The Simplex that Abenson used was not even maxed out and had a smaller coil than the APEX. The F19 had a slightly smaller coil too..........

Again, I was not impressed with anything operation wise on the APEX and those testers are some of the best on the internet  in my opinion.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

Speaking only of the Equinox to Apex comparisons I’ve seen,  Park mode does not mean that the Equinox was not run in zero disc mode. FYI.  Park mode simply establishes the MF profile used.  The user can then adjust disc as they see fit.  From what I’ve seen in the Apex to Equinox comparisons it was indeed apples to apples with disc turned off on the Equinox while running zero mode on the Apex.

I was under the impression that those "Pre-set" modes come with a certain amount of disc.  Am I wrong?