Garrett Ace Apex Separation Comparison And Review

Good report. Concentric coils pass this test very well with 2 nails with a coin in between. DD's don't like this test very well except some detectors with dd like the XP can do it.

Tesoro's worked very great in iron with concentrics.

I think people are sleeping on the fact that this machine is also the cheapest available multiple selectable single frequency machine on the market and would like to know more about its single frequency performance (across the board) on the separation and depth tests.  That may be its true strength, not MF.  No way Garrett's first generation simultaneous multi-frequency (SMF) implementation is going to compete against ML's fourth generation of simultaneous multi-frequency (Multi IQ).  It just so happens to have a serviceable SMF mode that probably is best relegated to salt beach usage.

• Like 3

Agree, SImon.  I kind of thought they were underselling this as an ACE level model, but it definitely makes sense now that we are seeing it in action in unbiased form.  For a multiple selectable single frequency machine, it really is a great value.  SIngle frequency performance IS important.  The fact that ML is still paying attention to it by releasing that 4 khz mode for Equinox sends an important message in that regard and that is why I thought ML should have considered throwing in at least one single frequency mode choice on Vanquish (say 10 khz) for added versatility.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

I think people are sleeping on the fact that this machine is also the cheapest available multiple selectable single frequency machine on the market and would like to know more about its single frequency performance (across the board) on the separation and depth tests.  That may be its true strength, not MF.  No way Garrett's first generation simultaneous multi-frequency (SMF) implementation is going to compete against ML's fourth generation of simultaneous multi-frequency (Multi IQ).  It just so happens to have a serviceable SMF mode that probably is best relegated to salt beach usage.

Single frequency or MF results were honestly about the same. 20KHz gave a slight edge but not enough to worry about. The relic mode actually was the best performing mode on the separation tests for me. I would have thought coin or jewelry.  It really doesn't appear there's that much difference in recovery speed between modes though. Pro zero made it plain annoying with the iron audio.

• Like 3

One other thing. Target ID is really pulled down with iron near a good target on the Apex, even in MF. Unlike the Equinox or Vanquish when they hit a target next to iron the ID suffers very little. Example: on the nail board test, even though the Equinox is not a super performer, the targets it does hit shows a pretty accurate ID. The Apex grunts just above iron on the few directions it can hit the penny. Probably explains why the relic mode was the best performing.

• Like 2

Thank you for 1 observations of Garrett Apex Mr. Abenson ...

First of all, I want to write that you are one of the people who do really real tests ... tests that I strongly trust .., and I appreciate it...👍 

one of the last recent tests, for example, a comparisonin separation of some detectors in  the GhostTown  terain.....

One thing that could be observed  YT test from Rossia... is that Apex can be deep on the 6x11 "coil as well .... .... deeper Like the ACE400 8.5 x 11" coil ..... and also often on very deep targets as well as the Vanquish540 on the V12 .. . . 
...but I could not get rid of the impression that the signal even on less deep targets is strongly influenced by the iron sound of 50/50 and perhaps also the ID ..

,,,the test terrain was a forest ..... so it is almost slightly mineralized .. ..

One thing that could be observed ... is that Apex can be deep on the 6x11 "coil as well .... .... deeper Like the ACE400 8.5 x 11" coil ..... and also often on very deep targets as well as the Vanquish540 on the V12 .. .

that would mean using a lower recovery speed-lower ground filter ,, and a strong gain ...

The average separation in your Test by Mr. Abenson also points to a higher setting of iron bias ..... 4 points out of 8 max ... still points to the Ace series ...

I have ace 400i on 3 coils .... 8x11 ", 5x10" WSS, 4.5 "CC Sniper and Vanquish 340 on V8 and V10 coils ... So I took the liberty of writing something down to it ..

Mr. Abenson, I will be curious about your further information regarding the Garrett Apex Detector ....

• Like 1

On 8/31/2020 at 10:08 PM, abenson said:

I thought this would be the best topic to but this comparison under. But, Steve if you feel like it belongs under the Garrett topic, please move it.

I want to start by saying that I really hate posting reviews like this when I'm disappointed in the results. Makes me feel like the bad guy or that maybe, just maybe I had the metal detectors setup wrong. Anyway here is a quick review.

Garrett Ace Apex Review Part 1

Thank you for you static Apex separation tests . Very interesting .  Have you planned to do field tests to confirm the separation test results ?  I mean a place where you have already tried other machines so that you can compare them together.

I say this because from my experience sometimes the results in the field may differ from what can be seen on static tests .. 

Btw if it is confirmed that the if Apex separation is only equivalent to the Vanquish then this is not good news , because the Apex was supposed to be very good in iron trash from the Garrett Marketing specs , and the Vanquish is not a reference in nail beds , at least the ones that we have in Europe .... 

• Like 2

Guest calabash digger

Thanks for the test... I have been looking at videos of this machine (depth test). From those videos and your report this is what I think.....It is TRULY a ACE beginners detector.....Look like max depth on a dime was 6 or so inches....ACE big let down in my mind but I bet they will sell a TON to the Garrett club...I probably will buy one and show my buddies Vanquish beating the socks off of it later on....