Garrett Ace Apex Separation Comparison And Review

7 hours ago, abenson said:

Single frequency or MF results were honestly about the same. 20KHz gave a slight edge but not enough to worry about. The relic mode actually was the best performing mode on the separation tests for me. I would have thought coin or jewelry.  It really doesn't appear there's that much difference in recovery speed between modes though. Pro zero mode it plain annoying with the iron audio.

4 hours ago, EL NINO77 said:

Thank you for 1 observations of Garrett Apex Mr. Abenson ...

First of all, I want to write that you are one of the people who do really real tests ... tests that I strongly trust .., and I appreciate it...👍 

one of the last recent tests, for example, a comparisonin separation of some detectors in  the Gosth Town field.....

One thing that could be observed  YT test from Rossia... is that Apex can be deep on the 6x11 "coil as well .... .... deeper Like the ACE400 8.5 x 11" coil ..... and also often on very deep targets as well as the Vanquish540 on the V12 .. . . 
...but I could not get rid of the impression that the signal even on less deep targets is strongly influenced by the iron sound of 50/50 and perhaps also the ID ..

,,,the test terrain was a forest ..... so it is almost slightly mineralized .. ..

One thing that could be observed ... is that Apex can be deep on the 6x11 "coil as well .... .... deeper Like the ACE400 8.5 x 11" coil ..... and also often on very deep targets as well as the Vanquish540 on the V12 .. .

that would mean using a lower recovery speed-lower ground filter ,, and a strong gain ...

The average separation in your Test by Mr. Abenson also points to a higher setting of iron bias ..... 4 points out of 8 max ... still points to the Ace series ...

I have ace 400i on 3 coils .... 8x11 ", 5x10" WSS, 4.5 "CC Sniper and Vanquish 340 on V8 and V10 coils ... So I took the liberty of writing something down to it ..

Mr. Abenson, I will be curious about your further information regarding the Garrett Apex Detector ....

Excellent information and thanks for following up with that.  Disappointing but not surprising, either.  

It's an affordable ACE machine with selectable multifrequency and SMF for beach work, nothing more, nothing less.  That's something and will be a boon to the Garrett fans and most importantly to those who would see the propular Ace series as their first detector in the hobby.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, palzynski said:

Thank you for you static Apex separation tests . Very interesting .  Have you planned to do field tests to confirm the separation test results ?  I mean a place where you have already tried other machines so that you can compare them together.

I say this because from my experience sometimes the results in the field may differ from what can be seen on static tests .. 

Btw if it is confirmed that the if Apex separation is only equivalent to the Vanquish then this is not good news , because the Apex was supposed to be very good in iron trash from the Garrett Marketing specs , and the Vanquish is not a reference in nail beds , at the least the ones that we have in Europe .... 

This thread also discusses and shows video of field performance and it is telling a pretty consistent story.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chase Goldman said:

This thread also discusses and shows video of field performance and it is telling a pretty consistent story.

Thanks Chase , actually I just read the comments and did not look the video for the moment  , I will do it asap ..

For a multi frequency machine, I've found it operates best in single frequency. Single frequency 15/20 outperformed multi in my iron field test. Find the target in single frequency then cross check with multi.  Not even close.

But that's just an encampment. It hung with the vanquish 540 on seperation in single frequency.

Both times I counted the Apex out, first time gold cufflink 18k, 2nd time silver ring and thimble. The Apex does it's own thing.

After 20 hrs of operation it's better than I've read, seen or expected.  I cant believe I'm saying that but I'm saying that.

For the new detectorist It's ease of use will usher in a new generation. It's not the the Nox 800, but the new detectorist can use this Apex multi platform to graduate (instead of frustrate) all the way to the next level.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, ShaneDirty said:

For a multi frequency machine, I've found it operates best in single frequency. Single frequency 15/20 outperformed multi in my iron field test. Find the target in single frequency then cross check with multi.  Not even close.

But that's just an encampment. It hung with the vanquish 540 on seperation in single frequency.

Both times I counted the Apex out, first time gold cufflink 18k, 2nd time silver ring and thimble. The Apex does it's own thing.

After 20 hrs of operation it's better than I've read, seen or expected.  I cant believe I'm saying that but I'm saying that.

For the new detectorist It's ease of use will usher in a new generation. It's not the the Nox 800, but the new detectorist can use this Apex multi platform to graduate (instead of frustrate) all the way to the next level.

This is my response in another of the Apex separation comparison threads.

I think people are sleeping on the fact that this machine is also the cheapest available multiple selectable single frequency machine on the market and would like to know more about its single frequency performance (across the board) on the separation and depth tests.  That may be its true strength, not MF. 

I suspect people are going to eventually figure out the ability to change frequency on Apex is more powerful than simply running multi, except for salt beach work.  An underappreciated feature no other Garrett has incorporated to date (frequency shifting doesn't count).

• Like 3