Impulse AQ In Surf / 36 Psu Salinity

Thanks for your comments Phrunt.  I feel like I have been working for FT as a field tester since I got my first defective unit--finally figuring out what was wrong with it (Sens control increase made targets quieter).  The new one has a replaced brain but is unstable around salt water to the point of being unusable.  I've fiddled with on and off  it for 3 weeks of perfectly good vacation time but never managed a single hunt. Pretty good in fresh water but that's not where the money is.  Looking for a repair or refund at this point.   Any more tweaks and I'll be ready for "Faces of Meth".

cjc

• Like 2

I can’t see the AQ coming back from this reputational damage……..in any form. Sounds like it’s dead in the (salt) water. To sink a lot of R&D and money on a half assed job is quite unbelievable. So as I see it…….Garrett has the market all to themselves with their Sea Hunter MK2 👍

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Tony said:

I can’t see the AQ coming back from this reputational damage……..in any form. Sounds like it’s dead in the (salt) water. To sink a lot of R&D and money on a half assed job is quite unbelievable.

Sadly, I called this over a year ago. A friend of mine really wanted one and I talked him out, now he thanks me all the time. 

I have not all lost hope though. The developer stated he had two other versions above the one released. I would bet that if we see something from the boys at Fisher on this platform it would be much better. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, cjc said:

Thanks for your comments Phrunt.  I feel like I have been working for FT as a field tester since I got my first defective unit--finally figuring out what was wrong with it (Sens control increase made targets quieter).  The new one has a replaced brain but is unstable around salt water to the point of being unusable.  I've fiddled with on and off  it for 3 weeks of perfectly good vacation time but never managed a single hunt. Pretty good in fresh water but that's not where the money is.  Looking for a repair or refund at this point.   Any more tweaks and I'll be ready for "Faces of Meth".

cjc

A big part of the problem is a lot of these units appear to be outright defective. That makes it very difficult to sort out what are performance issues, and what are hardware failures (bad coils, bad control pots, bad internal components). Your detectors just sounds outright defective, so trying to sort out performance becomes an exercise in futility.

Mechanical knobs on an underwater device is just asking for trouble, not if, but when. I see why they are nice for low visibility and gloves, as you can locate and adjust them by feel alone. But my preference from a serviceability standpoint is a sealed touchpad, just wipe to clean, and no way for water to enter. It’s not like a person is adjusting controls every 15 minutes while water hunting. More like once you get the settings figured, it’s just on and off. If I’d been calling the shots there would be no knobs on the detector.

But I digress. Sounds to me like you have a second bad unit. I know you know PI detectors so this is not a novice not knowing what to do situation. The detector simply does not work properly.

• Like 2

On 12/15/2021 at 1:29 AM, Tony said:

I can’t see the AQ coming back from this reputational damage……..in any form. Sounds like it’s dead in the (salt) water. To sink a lot of R&D and money on a half assed job is quite unbelievable. So as I see it…….Garrett has the market all to themselves with their Sea Hunter MK2 👍

It’s not just the AQ but Fisher the company. I’ve simply lost faith in them, and no way would I be first in line to buy anything from them now. Maybe after others buy and prove a new model out for about a year, but not before. I’m just guessing, but the return rate on the AQ must be up in the 50% region, with some detectors needing multiple returns.

I hope they get their act together, but this all left a very bad taste in my mouth. It’s nowhere near what I expect from “the oldest and proudest name in detecting.” So I think it best I retire now from posting anymore about the AQ or Fisher in general. This is a brand forum intended for fans of the brand and the detectors they make, and I no longer fit the profile. I’d rather talk about things from a positive perspective, so I’ll just lurk as a moderator from now on.

I wish everyone that have these units still, and are having problems, the best of luck in getting it sorted out. This all leaves me very sad. :sad:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

You’re right Steve…..the word “sad” summarises the situation exactly. 
But this thread is a good, healthy and robust one……who knows, it may spark Fisher into action. I’m sure there’s some lively discussions within the Fisher board 👍

That old saying “build it and they will come” is only valid if it’s built properly. 
My positive spin is…….Fisher will revamp this model starting with the mechanicals and then refine the code (this is a digital platform?).

Most of the work has already been done……they could still hit a home run.

Simplify it, toughen it up……..saltwater is an unforgiving environment and will expose any design flaw or weakness. Put this thing in a clear, thick walled polycarbonate case with proven hardware controls that can be easily maintained………sound familiar ?

Fisher……here’s a clue.

A2EA2651-A048-4D09-9B55-98252CAEA7F5.jpeg

• Like 3

My work with Eric on this project resulted in a detailed seven page report. I am not sure if this was sent to Fisher or not. I do know he had discussions with Carl and Alexandre though. As I have stated before, for what ever reason, Carl has little to do with this design and it appears to be Alexandre’s project solely. Although there are units out there with issues, I have not heard any stories of Fishers refusal to repair or replace or refund monies. I have heard of the same people returning their units multiple times though for service and also of refunds being made. I myself have sent two different machines back for repair or replacement without issue. I am satisfied with all they have done for me and I love my two AQ’s. In defense of Alexandre, the actual design and board configuration is his, but final assembly is done at Fisher and this is where fault may be found with them. I do find it interesting that my friend ole Beechnut, a strong advocate of the AQ has been silent in this thread. His response is deafening.

• Like 5

I'm still here, just lurking and raking leaf's.. I will never own another house with trees, after this. 

Me... Sorry to see the issues everyone has had.....Only problem I did have, I bought a refurbished "Limited AQ" with blemishes. Got it and it did not work correct, so I returned it and they sent me a brand new unit which has been fine. All I can say is, if your not happy with the Limit AQ request a refund, Now.

I still love both of mine, not for every beach but for sure it's deeper then any other water machine made, and that is what I've wanted from the beginning. Deep...☠️

• Like 5

I'm in agreement with Carolina and Joe. I've been pretty happy with the two I have (once I got Joe's batteries on them and the shaft locks swapped out). I might be a lucky one with out having to send one back yet. Deep is what they are. Couple of resorts have stuff going on that interferes some and I've been able to tune to handle most of it and other places they run dead quiet. In the water there is a bit of toning on wave motion; about what I had with the DetectorPro HH Pulse ... meaning very usable. Pause when the crest goes over then detect between waves. I can get rid of much of it with highest delay setting and higher ATS setting but tend to not do that.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

raking leaf's.. I will never own another house with trees,

LOL  I fire up the lawn tractor and chop them. Thought I was done for the season, but after two weeks in South Carolina, came back on Monday to a yard looking like I had never done anything with the leaves. Will blow out the gutters first (again) and then chop them up again!

• Like 1