Impulse AQ In Surf / 36 Psu Salinity

One thing I have noticed now, and Eric warned me of this, the dual mini cable used for the coils is packed with string and very soft. It compresses well but has zero rebound capability. Therefore there has been connector leakage problems. Every time before you go for a water hunt, you should check the Souriau connector for tightness. There are two sections that can be tightened, and on both my stock coils, it appears that Fisher has glued or epoxied the larger center section but left the small end piece free to turn. This is where the water intrusion takes place. While holding the center section you should tighten the back smaller section every time you go out or check for tightness. I spent four hours with my AQ yesterday, fully submerged with no issues. Knock wood. Good luck everybody and Merry Christmas.

• Like 3

My Impulse AQ has been nothing but a problem since I've had it. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about requesting a refund on my machine w/ 12 and 8 inch coils.

• Like 1

On 12/16/2021 at 6:59 PM, tvr said:

I'm in agreement with Carolina and Joe. I've been pretty happy with the two I have (once I got Joe's batteries on them and the shaft locks swapped out). I might be a lucky one with out having to send one back yet. Deep is what they are. Couple of resorts have stuff going on that interferes some and I've been able to tune to handle most of it and other places they run dead quiet. In the water there is a bit of toning on wave motion; about what I had with the DetectorPro HH Pulse ... meaning very usable. Pause when the crest goes over then detect between waves. I can get rid of much of it with highest delay setting and higher ATS setting but tend to not do that.

Thats very interesting.  I spent 3 weeks trying to get the stock coil to settle down in salt water conditions--even up on the sidewall at a resort beach.  I even walked to the next resort that didn't have facility wide wi fi.  No go.  Hate to say it but I've been fiddling with pulse machines since 1989 and there was just no way to run this detector.  Detuning produced less than VLF depth.  Maybe somewhere far from civilization.  Can't see this machine in it's present (performance)  form being released.  I have hope and like the platform--but it has stability problems IMHO.  Cant see the environment I was in being all that exceptional.

cjc 

2 hours ago, cjc said:

Thats very interesting.  I spent 3 weeks trying to get the stock coil to settle down in salt water conditions--even up on the sidewall at a resort beach.  I even walked to the next resort that didn't have facility wide wi fi.  No go.  Hate to say it but I've been fiddling with pulse machines since 1989 and there was just no way to run this detector.  Detuning produced less than VLF depth.  Maybe somewhere far from civilization.  Can't see this machine in it's present (performance)  form being released.  I have hope and like the platform--but it has stability problems IMHO.  Cant see the environment I was in being all that exceptional.

cjc 

Hi Clive, I spent another four hours in salt water yesterday fully submerged without issues. I don’t understand it. Only once the control box was fully out of water and a wave broke on the connector did it false. Once the connector was completely out of the water it settled back down. Volume 10, threshold 5, sensitivity 5, ATS 6, 10uS. In tone mode which I use a lot, same settings except ATS 8 and reject 2. The signs of water in your connector needs to be investigated. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cjc said:

cjc 

I think you have a bad unit. Deborah may also. If it’s defective no amount of tuning will work.

• Like 2

On 12/19/2021 at 6:32 PM, cjc said:

cjc 

Don't know what to say except it doesn't sound like your detector is functioning like my two do. Faulty? Water in the connector damaged it? Don't know. I'd certainly talk with First Texas. I enjoyed your Pulse Power book. Funny how I was at home very quickly with the HH Pulse (and Sand Shark before that) but took me a frustrating while to start hearing the AQ LTD edges for the clues in all metal to walk away from a target.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, tvr said:

Don't know what to say except it doesn't sound like your detector is functioning like my two do. Faulty? Water in the connector damaged it? Don't know. I'd certainly talk with First Texas. I enjoyed your Pulse Power book. Funny how I was at home very quickly with the HH Pulse (and Sand Shark before that) but took me a frustrating while to start hearing the AQ LTD edges for the clues in all metal to walk away from a target.

Pumping the coil will help pull in those faints, .. this works for me but I do sometimes get a falsing when pumping and there is no ramps or peaks of the target, so you have to use a lot of coil control to tame the beast. I do feel bad for others that are having issue for this machine is the answer to my needs, when called on.

Something very interesting I experienced the machine will over load quick.... When you first turn it on, if it is near any large metal objects, or even another machine it goes into a buzzing mode.. . And when you turn it to all metal it will not detect anything. So I would guess if it is overloaded in saltwater and you turn it on it will do the same.. Here is a example, and this video I though something was wrong with the machine but I soon discovered if I got it away from the garage it works fine..

And something Mike and I have talked about and I've seen a few post this..the Excalibur when in All metal..you come across a huge piece of metal while hunting and continue to swing over it..(Not pulling it away) it will not act right for the rest of the hunt.. and not that you can't hunt with it but the audio of targets become distorted to the point it gets annoying. 

• Like 3

Pumping the coil seems to work in the bay in helping sort out bottle caps; not so much in the ocean. I'll try to work on using that technique on faints over the wet sand when I'm down south. Thanks!

I overloaded the AQ on a cell phone that was a couple inches deep in the sand in ankle deep water back in October. Had to raise the coil and it took a few seconds to return to the smooth threshold. Was then able to center the target with the coil about a foot above the surface. New Iphone 11 showing full charge but it was locked so I couldn't find an owner. Turned it in to security at the resort I found it in front of. Have had big iron chunks overload it too, but the cell phone really seemed to saturate some circuits in a big way until I got the coil away from it.

With the Excal, did you power it off for a minute or so and then back on to see if it resolved?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tvr said:

With the Excal, did you power it off for a minute or so and then back on to see if it resolved?

Power off, disconnected battery, several times now, which I have now learned as soon as I hear a large signal coming I move away . I would like to say its the one machine but I noticed on 3 now. Ron Lord posted that several years ago, that his machine got messed up because of that and he never posted anything else about it......   But my machines do reset after a day of rest.

I guess it is the saltwater salinity on the pumping with the "AQ"? I've yet to hunt with the "AQ" at the ocean. Maybe next summer. I know the Excalibur can be done the same but It's not necessary for the faints. Both in the bay...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, tvr said:

The key is in knowing the theory.  A "pure" on ferrous response "carries" in a much narrower field.   A cap or spike is less distinct from the surrounding ground--how the machines struggles to  separate it is your clue. 

There is some green on the power coil pins and female side--might be a cause for the instability. (This is after attempts to clean with contact spray and brush).   It's a shame--I've had half a dozen Dual Fields with the same issue that just needed a damping change. 

cjc

FISHER AQX.jpg

• Thanks 1