Impulse AQ In Surf / 36 Psu Salinity

1 hour ago, cjc said:

The key is in knowing the theory.  A "pure" on ferrous response "carries" in a much narrower field.   A cap or spike is less distinct from the surrounding ground--how the machines struggles to  separate it is your clue. 

There is some green on the power coil pins and female side--might be a cause for the instability. (This is after attempts to clean with contact spray and brush).   It's a shame--I've had half a dozen Dual Fields with the same issue that just needed a damping change. 

cjc

FISHER AQX.jpg

That will do it...means there is a leak for sure. That's what was wrong with the refurbished machine I bought. Looks like the same pin also... they replaced the unit with a Brand New since the main fitting to the housing was green also and needed replaced. 

Inked20201218_220401_LI.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

That will do it...means there is a leak for sure. That's what was wrong with the refurbished machine I bought. Looks like the same pin also... they replaced the unit with a Brand New since the main fitting to the housing was green also and needed replaced. 

I too have had problems with leaking / corrosion, but mine has only been on the power cord. Another AQ owner suggested that I look at the o-ring on the battery power side. I couldn't see any on that particular battery but my other battery showed one in place. I told FT about it and the complete machine is now in their hands... again. A couple of times after hunting in the salt water the machine would not turn off by using the on off knob. Only by disconnecting the battery cable was I able to shut it down. Then after drying and reconnecting the cable, the AQ would not respond to any metal target placed by the coil. After it was thoroughly dried and sat for hours was it usable again. I have always cleaned the corrosion from the cable after every use, but the corrosion must have migrated deep into the cable. This is the second cable that FT has given me. Sorry about the blurry pictures.

AQ corrosion1.jpeg

AQ corrosion2.jpeg

11 hours ago, Joe Beechnut OBN said:

Thanks for the heads up, Joe.  Hard to tell with these machines--what's build and what's platform...It's managed to exhaust me but will  have to have another shot at getting one of these detectors that works as it should--they sound pretty good...

cjc

1 minute ago, okara gold said:

I too have had problems with leaking / corrosion, but mine has only been on the power cord. Another AQ owner suggested that I look at the o-ring on the battery power side. I couldn't see any on that particular battery but my other battery showed one in place. I told FT about it and the complete machine is now in their hands... again. A couple of times after hunting in the salt water the machine would not turn off by using the on off knob. Only by disconnecting the battery cable was I able to shut it down. Then after drying and reconnecting the cable, the AQ would not respond to any metal target placed by the coil. After it was thoroughly dried and sat for hours was it usable again. I have always cleaned the corrosion from the cable after every use, but the corrosion must have migrated deep into the cable. This is the second cable that FT has given me. Sorry about the blurry pictures.

AQ corrosion1.jpeg

AQ corrosion2.jpegconnection

I think that there should also be an orange O ring on the machine side power connection--likely the cause of that damage if it's not there.  My replacement came without it fortunately I had a spare.  With this much power flying around these details take on much more significance.  

cjc

2 minutes ago, cjc said:

Thanks for the heads up, Joe.  Hard to tell with these machines--what's build and what's platform...It's managed to exhaust me but will  have to have another shot at getting one of these detectors that works as it should--they sound pretty good...

cjc

When mine isn't in for repair, (5 times now) it works great. Not to mention the replaced headphones, power cord and lower shaft. The battery charger was also replaced due to being damaged in shipping. A little more detail to careful packaging on the FT side would have helped.

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

3 minutes ago, cjc said:

I think that there should also be an orange O ring on the machine side power connection--likely the cause of that damage if it's not there.  My replacement came without it fortunately I had a spare.  With this much power flying around these details take on much more significance.  

cjc

It's been so long now that I have seen an orange O ring it is just a memory. I have some aftermarket ones. I use a bit of teflon tape on my connectors as well.

Hate to say it but anytime you have connectors and saltwater there is going to be problems. Then add them to a Beast on steroids 2.  My opinion, best results would be for all connections to be hardwired and use internal batteries only.

• Like 6

It's not going to extraordinary depths, there are many other detectors with interchangeable coils that aren't seeing these problems with leaking at the connectors, thankfully it's not a difficult thing for them to resolve and it will be causing a lot of the problems people are seeing.  It all fits with a detector that was never ready to be sold. 

If they were even doing their job as a manufacturer they'd now know these connectors are not fit for purpose, ask for these test units to be returned and replace the connectors with another connector type to retest the product for viability.  It seems like they're just trying to ride out the problem and hope as little repairs come back as possible from the victims that bought them rather than really working on and improving the detector to be ready for sale.  What happens once your warranty runs out?  At least you've got 2 years warranty I guess but that must be starting to get close for some early buyers now, wasn't it about August 2020 the first ones trickled out?

Once the warranty is gone you'll be paying for repairs for this substandard product.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

It's not going to extraordinary depths, there are many other detectors with interchangeable coils that aren't seeing these problems with leaking at the connectors, thankfully it's not a difficult thing for them to resolve and it will be causing a lot of the problems people are seeing.  It all fits with a detector that was never ready to be sold. 

If they were even doing their job as a manufacturer they'd now know these connectors are not fit for purpose, ask for these test units to be returned and replace the connectors with another connector type to retest the product for viability.  It seems like they're just trying to ride out the problem and hope as little repairs come back as possible from the victims that bought them rather than really working on and improving the detector to be ready for sale.  What happens once your warranty runs out?  At least you've got 2 years warranty I guess but that must be starting to get close for some early buyers now, wasn't it about August 2020 the first ones trickled out?

Once the warranty is gone you'll be paying for repairs for this substandard product.

Very True..

Bottom line is..  if the saltwater was not there then all would be fine...

• Like 1

True that, it's a bit of a problem it's designed to be a beach and surf detector.

Here's your new v8 powered all terrain 4x4 Jeep - for road use only.

It's a bit like the mountain bikes I saw in the shop the other day, they had a sticker on them for road use only.

• Like 3