Impulse AQ In Surf / 36 Psu Salinity

10 hours ago, phrunt said:

At least you've got 2 years warranty I guess but that must be starting to get close for some early buyers now, wasn't it about August 2020 the first ones trickled out?

Once the warranty is gone you'll be paying for repairs for this substandard product.

The one I got from Rick is out of warranty now. Dec 2019. Several changes planned, would like to remove the control unit from the saltwater. and have the battery sealed with the electronics. Be a good winter project for me since I'm now cold water shy. 

The AQ maybe sub standard for some but I seen the potential, one reason I got two. 

• Like 3

yep, you do excellent with yours showing how much potential the unit has if they can resolve the build quality issues and take note of the improvements you've done to yours to deliver a good final product.  I tried to order one at the start from Rick, we were getting places but couldn't work out a viable solution to get one to the other side of the world and I'm glad at this stage that fell through, it was the best for both parties I didn't get one with the quality issues that have since shown up.

It's a shame the beta release has been such a slow drawn out process in the public eye due to the unique way they've done it.  Had it been done differently the damage to the brand and detector itself with public perception would be far less.

The final product will be of interest to me, especially the gold version.

• Like 1

Okay, my unit has only seen seawater once but I know of another old Seahunter XL500 that has had continual and sustained use since 1990……and the pins are like new on the bulkhead and coil cable end.

Come on Fisher…….it’s not Rocket Surgery or Brain Science 😜

8C794A1E-18F6-49E5-ABEF-F673269DD993.jpeg

85A235FD-9703-409F-87A9-33797C69F940.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, okara gold said:

I too have had problems with leaking / corrosion, but mine has only been on the power cord. Another AQ owner suggested that I look at the o-ring on the battery power side. I couldn't see any on that particular battery but my other battery showed one in place. I told FT about it and the complete machine is now in their hands... again. A couple of times after hunting in the salt water the machine would not turn off by using the on off knob. Only by disconnecting the battery cable was I able to shut it down. Then after drying and reconnecting the cable, the AQ would not respond to any metal target placed by the coil. After it was thoroughly dried and sat for hours was it usable again. I have always cleaned the corrosion from the cable after every use, but the corrosion must have migrated deep into the cable. This is the second cable that FT has given me. Sorry about the blurry pictures.

AQ corrosion1.jpeg

AQ corrosion2.jpeg

The first AQ I got has thicker power cables and red O rings for the connectors. The second one has the cables pictured and did not come with O rings. Appears that the orange plastic part is supposed to seat and make it "water proof".  I added O rings like the first one had and have not has an issue so far. (knock on wood!)

• Like 1

Yes, seems like the connectors have issues and need o rings at a minimum. Are you able to open the unit up to gain access to the electronics or is everything sealed up like with the Equinox?  Has anyone done a teardown video?  I’m asking because I’d love to get one of these to work on someday...

23 hours ago, bklein said:

Yes, seems like the connectors have issues and need o rings at a minimum. Are you able to open the unit up to gain access to the electronics or is everything sealed up like with the Equinox?  Has anyone done a teardown video?  I’m asking because I’d love to get one of these to work on someday...

The Souriau connector is not produced by Fisher. I doubt seriously if the sealing O ring is missing or the problem. Having used this connector for over five years now, I have never seen a missing O ring. I have mentioned in other post, the soft Vandamme multi core video cable used for the coil, isvery soft and compresses easily but has little to no rebound ability. You must always hold the larger center section of the connector while tightening the smaller end section before every water immersion. Attempting to tighten the center section with the end all ready tight, will most certainly damage or break the coax. Never tighten the center unless the smaller section is completely loose so the cable does not twist. I have gone the extra mile and sealed all my connectors wiring with two part epoxy so that water or wire damage is greatly reduced. This however is a tricky process. As you can see in the second photo the wire is extremely delicate. Good luck everybody and Merry Christmas.

• Like 1

Just now, bklein said:

Are those two separate shielded cables?

Yes it is a dual mini coax