Is Fisher (first Texas) Next To Go?

Back around 2009 or 10, Fisher reintroduced the Gold Bug.  Then came the Pro model.  After that was the F-Series.  Other than their Pulse Pin Pointer, they haven’t released anything new in quite a while.

• Like 1

I doubt it. I think since they have other products that they make such as night vision equipment and the fact that they make the Bounty Hunter line that a lot of the big box stores sell, I do not think they are in any danger at the moment. 

They also make other name brands under contact too. I do not know what they are though but maybe someone here does. 

I agree to an extent somewhat with what your saying about them being pretty quiet here lately though. 

Dave Johnson who is or was the engineer was probably one of the most recognized engineer in this hobby for the past 30 to 40 years. He has designed everything from the Fisher 1260 to the F75 and a ton in between such as the Tesoro lobo super traq, whites mxt, Teknetics Omega, the Teknetics T2, and dozens more.

I  think he is still with First Texas but I am not sure if he has retired or not yet.

I am sure others will chime in one his one.

First Texas makes Fisher, Teknetics and Bounty Hunter. They also produce a wide range of industrial detection products and two lines of night vision equipment. In addition to all that, they actively solicit production work for their board level plant.

Tom Walsh is the President and I’m pretty clear he has no notion of getting out of the metal detecting business.

The company is “closely held” so there are no stockholders to please.

They have a large engineering staff. Dave Johnson is still there and they also have Carl Moreland (previously Chief engineer at Whites till he moved to FTP 5 or so years ago).

• Like 4

This has been discussed before, and recently.  I'm not going to search and post the threads, but maybe someone else will.

I realize that there is nothing in particular wrong with asking these kinds of questions (and as you'll see in those other threads, you aren't the first and probably won't be the last), but sometimes I wonder if people are wishing as much as asking.

If you look back at the history of metal detecting there are many (easily double digits) companies that have come and gone.  I doubt the hobby is nearly as popular as at times in the past.  Metal detecting doesn't bear this situation alone.  The world changes.

Minelab is the big dog now, and has been for quite a while.  By all indications they'd like to run everyone else out of business.  Again, nothing unusual about that in the business world.  They have scratches on their gun grips signifying Tesoro, White's, and probably others.

As long as I've been alive (and long before and after my turn on this planet) there are those who use fear and negativity as their primary forms of motivation.  I prefer encouragement myself, and I like underdogs.  First Texas, Garrett, Nokta Makro (to name three moderate sized companies) -- I'm pulling for you.  You've done well with your teams and I'm hoping you will continue that into the future.

• Like 1

Reading this post, I'm happy to realize they are healthy in business and with solid plans for the future... Unluckily I'd say there's another problem for me actually not so little.Communication.

I'm in Europe and if not for this forum, Steve, Alexandre and the information channel we have on this pages, it seem like the AQ never existed...I mean dealers, advertising, promotional activity...Nothing.

Seriously?Minelab, Nokta and every other brand can do so much noise for the minimum release of a gadget and with a similar bomb ready to face the market all this silence overseas?

I clearly asked to be part of the promotional agents for the Italian market and despite the dealer we have here, everything is so silent since before the lockdown time.

Rick Kempf is the only one person I had the pleasure to deal with...I suppose He's a dealer...

I just hope to never be in the need of assistance for my AQ...I just don't know how to keep a contact with the headquarter ant this thing scares me!

• Like 1

I was just thinking back to all the 1st Texas products I've owned and used since 2004.  Many of them multiple times as i often sell to buy even if I like them....

F2

F5

F70

F75

F75LTD

F75 LDT with DST 

F11

F44

GoldBug Pro

F19

T2

Omega 8000

Omega 8500  

Alpha

Eurotec

Eurotec pro  

G2

G2+

Bounty Hunter Tracker IV  

Discovery 202

Sharpshooter 2

Time Ranger

Land Ranger Pro

And while there were not 1st Texas Products at the time, since they were Fisher products I'm going to include them too..

CZ-5

CZ-3D

CZ-70 Pro

CoinStrike

ID Edge

I think you should rep them too, Bohemia Miner, as I spend far more money on 1st Texas products than any other mfg.

HH
Mike

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skullgolddiver said:

Reading this post, I'm happy to realize they are healthy in business and with solid plans for the future... Unluckily I'd say there's another problem for me actually not so little.Communication.

I'm in Europe and if not for this forum, Steve, Alexandre and the information channel we have on this pages, it seem like the AQ never existed...I mean dealers, advertising, promotional activity...Nothing.

Seriously?Minelab, Nokta and every other brand can do so much noise for the minimum release of a gadget and with a similar bomb ready to face the market all this silence overseas?

I clearly asked to be part of the promotional agents for the Italian market and despite the dealer we have here, everything is so silent since before the lockdown time.

Rick Kempf is the only one person I had the pleasure to deal with...I suppose He's a dealer...

I just hope to never be in the need of assistance for my AQ...I just don't know how to keep a contact with the headquarter ant this thing scares me!

Do not worry about that, in due time and if needed, you WILL get good support from us (euroteam)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skullgolddiver said:

I remember when the AQ was talk in the air but then I did not see anymore about it. Then I join up on this detector prospector forum and it seems this is the only place that's talking about it. 

I even looked on first Texas website and I do not see anything on it. 

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure FT is still in the game. Looking at what I posted recently about their finances, they are in good shape. What we all need to do is support some of these companies so we don't end up with just one choice. Sometimes we focus on the newest product and forget how good the older machine was. I still think most of us, still have the dig it all mentality, And thats good. Remember NO company has designed a definite separation between gold, silver and aluminum. When that happens we will have nothing left to find in a few short months. In the mean time just enjoy some of the machines we once thought were the s**t.

13 minutes ago, Willy said:

if needed, you WILL get good support from us (euroteam)

Thanks...I have forgotten to mention you too...

Maybe the email address on the Fisherlab website is out of service, but You,Rick and Alexandre are actually the only Fisher's people I can talk with...At least here