Garrett Ace Apex Vs Fisher F19 New Settings On Nbt For The Apex

OK new comparison and probably the last one for me. Doing this one because Monte made a comment on another forum about the Apex needing to have iron audio off in order for it to perform better on the nail board test. I thought I would throw the F19 into this video since it's in the price range of the Apex. IMO the Apex is just another choice in the $250-450 price range and it's going to come down to the features and performance you want as to which metal detector you chose. Like Steve, I feel like it's closest competition is the Vanquish 540 at $369 and to me the Apex isn't worth the extra money. Funny I should say that because I don't have the Vanquish anymore. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

For coin shooting in mild soils , low to moderate iron trash , the Equinox 800 and the Vanquish 540 do almost the same job ( for me ) . So  no real need to keep them both .  I preferred to keep the Vanquish 540 because of the excellent V8 V10 V12  coils  and its simpler ergonomy.

Nice comparison video by Mr. Abenson .... Fisher F19 in this Test achieves better results not only in the separation, but also in the range test and the exact ID in the in-depth test ... even though I have a smaller coil .... which will have smaller range mainly on highly conductive coins ..

Apex shows that he is still in the Ace class ,,, and he has quite a restless ID .. but we will see what possibilities I have for improvement ... in the future..that they would add a well-adjustable bottle cap reject/iron bias/, ... separation possibilities would be greatly increased ... this effect of too strong bottle cap reject setting can be given especially when testing nails and coins in one line ...

it is of course that it is also signed on the  Nailboard test ....

2 hours ago, abenson said:

Doing this one because Monte made a comment on another forum about the Apex needing to have iron audio off in order for it to perform better on the nail board test.

That statement on its own makes absolutely no sense. Iron audio settings should have no impact on performance in zero mode.  I applaud you for going ahead and making the video in an objective manner even though you knew yourself it was just a ridiculous claim.   SMH.

• Like 3

"Iron Audio" is a function in Garrett that can better identify an iron object ... if, for example, a bottle cap ... but it is not intended for better separation in iron ..... the name of this function is very similar to "Iron Volume" which compresses tons of iron to an acceptable level ...

Agree, Iron Audio is just an audio tone break/level for all targets that ID below the discrimination setting or below a TID of 35 in zero mode. It’s setting plays no role in the processing of ferrous target signals. It is just an audio volume level filter.

Wonder what the Apex apologist crowd will come up with next. SMH.

On a side note, it would have been interesting (uninteresting?) to compare the Apex in 20khz vs. the F19 as a true head-to-head SF comparison (although I’m sure the results would have been the same - or possibly worse).

It will be interesting to see how Apex works in the field compared to other detectors......

28 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

That statement on its own makes absolutely no sense. Iron audio settings should have no impact on performance in zero mode.  I applaud you for going ahead and making the video in an objective manner even though you knew yourself it was just a ridiculous claim.   SMH.

Yea well since the question was raised I figured I would go ahead and put that to rest. In all honesty it did make it hit one more direction, Hurray now we're up to 50% on the NBPT. I run iron audio on with all my detectors and it makes absolutely no difference on separation performance. So if this is an issue with Garrett detectors they better get it fixed.

It will work as well as the Ace detectors do today with some added salt beach stability and middle of the road depth, ID, and perhaps below average target separation vs. its higher end competition.  Basically, it is right where it should be for it's price class, perhaps just a tad high when you compare it against Vanquish.

10 minutes ago, abenson said:

Yea well since the question was raised I figured I would go ahead and put that to rest. In all honesty it did make it hit one more direction, Hurray now we're up to 50% on the NBPT. I run iron audio on with all my detectors and it makes absolutely no difference on separation performance. So if this is an issue with Garrett detectors they better get it fixed.

I bet if you ran it 10 separate times turning the machine off then on between every run you will get something that averages out between the iron audio on and off results (IOW no statistically significant difference between the two @ 4/8 or 5/8).

• Like 1