Hello all, 

So, i found myself in a very unusual position this past week of trading a detector, and buying a detector! 

I just want to preface this by saying, I'm not crazy (hopefully)!! Or on any mind altering substances of any kind!😂

I'm sure many of you saw Gerry of Gerrysdetectors.com looking to sell a brand new White's MXT Pro! Or trade for a used Nox 800!  Well, i did the trade!😬   I'm sure there are those of you that think I'm crazy! (All comments and opinion's welcome)! Well, I'll try and answer that puzzle?! 

I've always liked the old school (not old) detector maker's that i grew up knowing! And I always wanted a Whites! And this was one i liked! I already had a few Bounty Hunters, and a Garrett! But due to my too long hiatus from detecting, never got around to the White's! I figured that they would still be around when i was ready! Well, we all know that story! So i was looking to add a  new detector to my AT Pro, and Nox 800! Seemed easy enough, and i had been feeling out all the recent models! Than i saw Gerry's ad, and decided to take a different route! I offered to buy, or trade my 800 for the MXT Pro! He went with the trade, which I'm confident we will both be happy with!🤞 They are shipping past one another as we speak! I felt like i wasn't using the 800 to it's fullest extent! And i also knew that next year i would be selling it anyway, before the warranty ran out! So that was where my mind was at!  And i knew the White's supply was drying up relatively fast; and i could always revisit a Nox at a later date!

Than i saw The post about the Pinky Camo Technetics G2+!! I didn't think i would find a better price close to this, so Sold!! Another direction change! Again, I could have gotten a newer kid on the block, but again decided a tried and true alternative!

That's my story for now! I welcome all comments and suggestions! Coil and accessory suggestions, etc... for both detectors!

Tell me what you all think!! And if they were bad decisions, it's all Steve H's fault!! I found both of these on his forum!!😂🤣(kidding Steve)!

Thanks all for your input!

And to Gerry and Steve, for furthering my detector addiction! 👍👍

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

The G2 needs a Detech Ultimate!  Sell the stock coil someone may want a pink coil for their collection 😛

You'll have fun with the G2, works pretty good on the beach too.  I know nothing about the Whites!  Part of the fun of detecting is learning new detectors, now you're going to have two new ones to learn!

• Thanks 1

Yeah, who would have thunk it! A week ago it was just the poor lonely Equinox!! I've traded her to a better home!

She will probably get to find some "real" gold now with Gerry! Maybe even Rye Patch!! She still has my name tattooed on her; so I'll be there in spirit anyway!😂👍👍

1 hour ago, Joe D. said:

Yeah, who would have thunk it! A week ago it was just the poor lonely Equinox!! I've traded her to a better home!🤣👍👍

I will do you a video shortly of why I like the Ultimate over the stock coil on a couple of coins I've had buried in my yard for a couple of years now, the difference is very clear.  I'll update this post once the video is done.

--- It started raining 🙂 I'll do it when I can now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have had a few MXT machines. I preferred the first mxt tracker because you could pop it in relic mode and flip the toggle switch forward and you would hear the low tone below your disc settings. I think it had a bottle cap notch as well on coin mode but I cannot remember. 

If you can swing it see if you can find the white 6x10 DD coil for it too as that was the coil the mxt was designed around and also it will identify bottle caps better than the D2 coil will. 

Personally I do not know what kind of detecting your gonna be doing but i used mine for coin shooting and relic hunting when I had it. It is a good unit and I think you will be happy. Enjoy!!

• Like 1

Bigtim,

Those are exactly what i intend for both detectors! Took a gamble, since i am primarily a beach hunter! But may be relocating to Tennessee next year! We will see! But i wanted to expand a bit anyway, and couldn't pass up the two, time sensitive deals! Thank's for the coil suggestion!👍👍

• Like 1

MXT is a classic and I am hanging onto mine for posterity. Good deal.  I don't think I could give up my 800 for it, but glad you were able to score one and I am sure ML has something up their sleeve for next year anyway, so good as time as any to take the plunge.  As an amateur radio hobbyist from way back, I like knobs and toggle switches vs. membrane switches and touchscreens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Chase,

There's definitely something to the tactility of toggles and knobs!  But I'm having a hell of a time finding a 2 piece dust cover for it! I must have looked at 10 different sites today!

By the way, good to know about the radio hobby! I've got an old one in my shed! I think it's Gray Radio Co.! With a very low serial number! Had it for years, and is a little worse for wear, but cool looking!👍👍

• Like 1

MXT je Whitesova tajná zbraň ,,,, kúpte si k nej 6x8 "SEF cievku a budete prekvapení hĺbkou ,, a citlivosťou..na jednom nastavení detektora ..

G2+... vynikajúci detektor .., dobrá separácia, ID do hĺbky je veľmi presný na detektor VLF. Na cievke 13 "ultimátne ... bude dostatočne hlboká ...

• Like 1

There are a lot of coils (White's, Detech, and others) for the MXT.  I suspect it is one of the largest (in terms of number of units made) of all time.  Detech makes a 13" Ultimate for it as well, BTW.

Dave Johnson designed the MXT and GMT while he was at White's.  I think those may be the only ones he was involved with there at any significant level.  There is a (famous?) post where he says both those were designed around DD coils and he criticizes the sound when a concentric is used.

Because the MXT was so popular you can find lots of used coils for it on Ebay.  I've never owned one myself but my sister has one and I look for good deals on coils for her (get them as gifts).  I've never bought the 6"x10" DD that BigTim recommends, but I've seen several of those on Ebay.

If I were you I'd wait a bit on buying coils, or at least search the forum for articles about the MXT.  You'll get advice, old (posts) and new (to come).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      The First Texas 19 kHz series of detectors include the Fisher Gold Bug, Gold Bug Pro, F19, Teknetics G2 and G2+, and the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger Pro.
      These detectors are all designed specifically for DD coils. However, a lot of the F70/F75 coils will plug into the 19 kHz models and work, some better, some worse. You can't harm the detector doing this, but the coils may not ground balance properly, or have inaccurate target id. Others may be fine, due to the slop in coil manufacturing tolerances. From this thread we have this commentary by FT engineer Dave Johnson:
      1. F75 and F70 searchcoils are interchangeable.
      2. T2 coils are their own animal, will not work at all on anything else (or vice versa).
      3. F5 uses the "Greek" ("Fratbros") searchcoil series. These are wired the same as the F75/70 searchcoils but are electrically different. Even though some customers have tried searchcoils from one series on a machine designed for the other series and decided that they "work", the factory is not going to say that they "work' because we know there is performance degradation whether or not the customer knows (or even cares) about that.
      4. The legacy BH coil series was also used on the Fisher F2 and F4. Although these may plug into F75/70 and Greek/Fratbros machines and actually beep, performance is severely degraded.
      5. The 19 kHz machines (Gold Bug and others derived from that platform) are designed specifically to use the DD searchcoils of the Greek/Fratbros series. Depending on the individual searchcoil, a concentric may work fairly well or not at all or anything in between.
      6. In general, plugging the wrong searchcoil into a metal detector is not going to cause any damage to the detector although we cannot guarantee a thing like that.
      Long story short I have this Time Ranger Pro sitting around that I've basically done nothing with but invest in a NEL accessory coil. Back in the day I ran the 13 kHz Detech Ultimate coil and 4" x 6.5" concentric coils from my F75 on my 19 kHz Gold Bug Pro, and they seemed to work fine. But as noted above it is a crapshoot.
      Anyway, I got to wondering about a small concentric on the TRP, and looked into rounding up the 13 kHz 4" x 6.5" concentric for the F70/F75 to give it a go on the 19 kHz TRP. This is where I was reminded that First Texas has redesigned the housing on some older coils, including the old 4" x 6.5" elliptical. The new design replaces the old design, and it is important to note that scuff covers for the old version do not fit the old version, and vice versa.
      I ordered one that has a picture of the old design, but frankly I have no idea which of the two coils pictured below will show up. At some point I'll let you all know how this coil runs... or not.... on the TRP.

• By Joe D.
      Hello all,
         I decided to start a new post from the "Tale of Two Detectors" post, specifically for the G2+! That way, anyone else that bought one, or has one, can also post, for setup and such!
          I went out yesterday afternoon, seeing how it had been raining all day, and i was tired of being stuck in the house! It was perfect weather to detect, and the tide was falling! The rain made it cool enough to be fairly comfortable in the humidity! The beaches the last couple of weeks have not been good! Sand is still way to soft near the water to find much! And the renurishment sand still pollutes the beach's! But it's exercise, and gets me out of the house to work on my skills with pinky!
          There was one other guy working south of me, so i headed north of the pier! A walked about a mile with little to show,  before i saw some promising erosion! Once getting there, some coins started here and there! But nothing that was going to break the bank! I am getting the hang of the sounds the detector makes, and could decern when to not dig much better this time out! The highlight finds were a nice fishing lure, and a small gold/ silver ring; not sure yet, as it has no discernable mark inside the band, but it cleaned up nice, and is the first ring i found with the G2+! 💍
         Also of note, was low tide finger mullet running in the shallows, to avoid being eaten! I walked thru a large school, while detecting! Nature is awesome, and one of the "Treasures" you can't take home in a find's pouch!👍👍

• By bigtim1973
      Have recently got a hold of a nice V3i......I had one about 8 years ago and I decided back then it was not for me. I have Been comparing a MXT pro to it. Straight out of the box the MXT is way faster on recovery and obviously way easier to set up.
      With the 6X10 DD coil the V3i cannot see a penny about 1-1/2 inches from a piece of iron.
      If I put the same coil on the MXT it picks it right up. Very well actually.
      I have fiddled with the V3i on and off for a couple of days. I am on the fence about hanging on to it. I have been talking to a friend here locally who swears by the V3i and it is his go to machine. He told me that once I get it figured out it is deeper than the MXT.
      I guess that is possible.
      I am not a fan of the D2 coil as much as the white 6X10 DD coil. With the white 6X10 DD coil on the mxt I can hit an 11 inch nickle in my test garden with just turning the gain up.
      With the same coil on the V3i I have to go and adjust the ground phase and the recovery settings plus SAT as well....Sorry I do not know what all they are called but it used to be pre and post gain or AC and DC or whatever was on the XLT and such. Plus there is also the transmit gain and all that too that I can adjust and I am trying to just hit a 11 inch nickel with the V3I!!!
      I have messed with the recovery speed and the internal filters and have managed to get pretty satisfactory results after lots of hair pulling and time out in my back yard.
      I paired up the 13" DD Coil to the V3i. It made the machine way more sensitive without hardly doing anything else to the settings. It is like a match made in heaven actually on the V3i.
      I normally am a turn on and go kind of guy. I guess once the V3i is set up the way I like to run a machine it would become a turn on and go unit.....It will just take a bit to get there.
      I am on the fence kind of. I know there seems to be a little more action here with a few of you who still use a V3i so I am going to ask, is there any way the V3i can be adjusted to be as deep and as fast as the MXT pro??
      If not I may just wind up selling both and sticking to lighter machines....... Had a blast with my Equinox yesterday!!
    • By Steve Herschbach
      I just purchased a brand White's V3i from the factory as noted on another thread. The brand new machine much to my surprise comes with new new redesign of the White's D2 10" round DD coil. I say surprise because I ordered a scuff cover for the coil, and although it went on the scuff cover is larger than the new coil, especially along the inner edge of the right side and so there are large gaps between the edges of the coil and the scuff cover. The new coil has been shaved here and there for a thinner more modern appearance versus the older squared off look.

I looked and have seen no change in the part number on any sites nor any mention of this new coil anywhere. White's needs to make this known and hopefully a properly fitted scuff cover is available or in the works. It could be it just happened and I am one of the first with this coil and so jumped the gun a bit while dealers clear old stock.
      The old D2 coil has been quoted at 17.9 oz or 498 grams which I have to question as my new coil weighs 1 lb 2.6 oz (18.6 oz) or 526 grams on my postal scale. Can anyone get get an accurate weight on the old D2 coil? Include the cable as I have done - I hate it when cable weights are excluded, as if we are going to swing the coil without a cable. That may account for the discrepancy as I find it hard to believe the new coil weighs more than the old coil, unless the internal windings are different/heavier.
      This coil is also compatible with the White's VX3, all versions of the MXT, the MX5, M6, and DFX.

• By bigtim1973
      I remember seeing in ads when these hit the scene that they had 2 processors in them. Now I do not see anything about that anymore. Does anyone remember this?
    • By bigtim1973
      Well here she is. I ordered the coil last week. It is the 13" Detech Ultimate. I cannot believe how light weight it is. I am totally like a kid in a candy store today!!
      I put the Sun Ray probe on it a little different than how most people mount them. 
      It really had some awesome separation too for such a large coil. I am not totally sold in the depth aspect just yet. I will have to do some.more testing. But for now it is awesome.