A Tale Of Two Detectors!

Hello all, 

So, i found myself in a very unusual position this past week of trading a detector, and buying a detector! 

I just want to preface this by saying, I'm not crazy (hopefully)!! Or on any mind altering substances of any kind!😂

I'm sure many of you saw Gerry of Gerrysdetectors.com looking to sell a brand new White's MXT Pro! Or trade for a used Nox 800!  Well, i did the trade!😬   I'm sure there are those of you that think I'm crazy! (All comments and opinion's welcome)! Well, I'll try and answer that puzzle?! 

I've always liked the old school (not old) detector maker's that i grew up knowing! And I always wanted a Whites! And this was one i liked! I already had a few Bounty Hunters, and a Garrett! But due to my too long hiatus from detecting, never got around to the White's! I figured that they would still be around when i was ready! Well, we all know that story! So i was looking to add a  new detector to my AT Pro, and Nox 800! Seemed easy enough, and i had been feeling out all the recent models! Than i saw Gerry's ad, and decided to take a different route! I offered to buy, or trade my 800 for the MXT Pro! He went with the trade, which I'm confident we will both be happy with!🤞 They are shipping past one another as we speak! I felt like i wasn't using the 800 to it's fullest extent! And i also knew that next year i would be selling it anyway, before the warranty ran out! So that was where my mind was at!  And i knew the White's supply was drying up relatively fast; and i could always revisit a Nox at a later date!

Than i saw The post about the Pinky Camo Technetics G2+!! I didn't think i would find a better price close to this, so Sold!! Another direction change! Again, I could have gotten a newer kid on the block, but again decided a tried and true alternative!

That's my story for now! I welcome all comments and suggestions! Coil and accessory suggestions, etc... for both detectors!

Tell me what you all think!! And if they were bad decisions, it's all Steve H's fault!! I found both of these on his forum!!😂🤣(kidding Steve)!

Thanks all for your input!

And to Gerry and Steve, for furthering my detector addiction! 👍👍

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Yeah, who would have thunk it! A week ago it was just the poor lonely Equinox!! I've traded her to a better home!

She will probably get to find some "real" gold now with Gerry! Maybe even Rye Patch!! She still has my name tattooed on her; so I'll be there in spirit anyway!😂👍👍

I have had a few MXT machines. I preferred the first mxt tracker because you could pop it in relic mode and flip the toggle switch forward and you would hear the low tone below your disc settings. I think it had a bottle cap notch as well on coin mode but I cannot remember. 

If you can swing it see if you can find the white 6x10 DD coil for it too as that was the coil the mxt was designed around and also it will identify bottle caps better than the D2 coil will. 

Personally I do not know what kind of detecting your gonna be doing but i used mine for coin shooting and relic hunting when I had it. It is a good unit and I think you will be happy. Enjoy!!

• Like 2

Bigtim,

Those are exactly what i intend for both detectors! Took a gamble, since i am primarily a beach hunter! But may be relocating to Tennessee next year! We will see! But i wanted to expand a bit anyway, and couldn't pass up the two, time sensitive deals! Thank's for the coil suggestion!👍👍

• Like 1

MXT is a classic and I am hanging onto mine for posterity. Good deal.  I don't think I could give up my 800 for it, but glad you were able to score one and I am sure ML has something up their sleeve for next year anyway, so good as time as any to take the plunge.  As an amateur radio hobbyist from way back, I like knobs and toggle switches vs. membrane switches and touchscreens.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Chase,

There's definitely something to the tactility of toggles and knobs!  But I'm having a hell of a time finding a 2 piece dust cover for it! I must have looked at 10 different sites today!

By the way, good to know about the radio hobby! I've got an old one in my shed! I think it's Gray Radio Co.! With a very low serial number! Had it for years, and is a little worse for wear, but cool looking!👍👍

• Like 1

MXT je Whitesova tajná zbraň ,,,, kúpte si k nej 6x8 "SEF cievku a budete prekvapení hĺbkou ,, a citlivosťou..na jednom nastavení detektora ..

G2+... vynikajúci detektor .., dobrá separácia, ID do hĺbky je veľmi presný na detektor VLF. Na cievke 13 "ultimátne ... bude dostatočne hlboká ...

There are a lot of coils (White's, Detech, and others) for the MXT.  I suspect it is one of the largest (in terms of number of units made) of all time.  Detech makes a 13" Ultimate for it as well, BTW.

Dave Johnson designed the MXT and GMT while he was at White's.  I think those may be the only ones he was involved with there at any significant level.  There is a (famous?) post where he says both those were designed around DD coils and he criticizes the sound when a concentric is used.

Because the MXT was so popular you can find lots of used coils for it on Ebay.  I've never owned one myself but my sister has one and I look for good deals on coils for her (get them as gifts).  I've never bought the 6"x10" DD that BigTim recommends, but I've seen several of those on Ebay.

If I were you I'd wait a bit on buying coils, or at least search the forum for articles about the MXT.  You'll get advice, old (posts) and new (to come).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The FT Gold Bug was designed by Dave also, which morphed into the F19 etc. In some ways you could divide detectors up by main engineer than company involved. Dave was instrumental in detectors made by Fisher, Tesoro, Troy, and White’s. They all share characteristics in common, and I think of them more as “Dave Johnson” detectors than machines made by this or that company. 

From Interview with Dave Johnson at http://www.fisherlab.com/hobby/davejohnson/Interview%20with%20David%20Johnson.pdf

Many of the people reading this interview unknowingly own products of your design. Would you mind listing them?

My first metal detector (in 1971) was a portable experimental vehicle detector for use on roadway loops. It discriminated between cars and trucks, but to become a practical product would have required a lot of development and nobody was interested in investing in it.

Fisher in California: 1260, 1220, 1210, 1235, 1225, 1212, 1265, 1266, CZ6, CZ5, CZ20, original Gold Bug, Gold Bug II, Gemini, and industrial instruments including TW6, FX3, XLT-16, PF-18, and circuitry of the TW-770.

Tesoro: Diablo MicroMax, Lobo SuperTraq.

White's: GMT, MXT, analog circuitry of DFX, Beach Hunter and PCL-600 line tracer.

Troy: X-5 and X-3.

FTP Bounty Hunter: major revisions to existing platforms most of which originated with George Payne. The BH Junior, Platinum, Gold and security wand (sold under various trademarks) were new designs.

FTP Teknetics: T2, Alpha, Delta, Gamma, Omega, G2.

FTP Fisher: F2, F4, F5, F75, F70, new Gold Bug, circuitry of the TW-82 industrial line tracer.

In the case of microprocessor-driven FTP products, the software was coded by John Gardiner and Jorge Anton Saad. Mechanical designs were done mostly by other people, but I engineered the ergonomics of the T2 mechanical design, which is also used on the F75.

See also Detector Stuff Interviews FT-Fisher Engineers, David Johnson and John Gardiner at http://detectorstuff.com/detector-stuff-interviews-ft-fisher-engineers-david-johnson-and-john-gardiner/

Want people to know you own one of the Dave Johnson detectors listed above? Just download and print the attached logo and apply to your detector. Click for larger version:

post-1-0-85736600-1395816721_thumb.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Sometimes you just have to follow your heart!!!! Glad you made the deal, I doub't you will be dissapointed. I find detectors like cars, some are fancy and some are plain. But they all get you where you want to go. Can't wait to see what you find with the new detectors. As for Tennessee I would move there in a heartbeat. It is a beautiful State.  

• Thanks 1