A Tale Of Two Detectors!

I made a quick decision to hit the beach this morning at low tide, with the G2+!  As you know, I just set it up last night, and hadn't even cracked the manual open yet! So out on the beach with only some idea how to work this detector! The grip and S-rod are comfortable, and it swings nicely, even with the 13" ultimate! I will be adding my counterweight shorty!

I started at the low tide mark, and zig-zaged back and fourth on the wet sand! I did my best to put threshold and gain in the correct range, but the salt was still giving this big coil some feedback! I still found stuff,  but only three coins In the dry sand! The rest was junk; but educational just  the same!! All toll, i was only out about an hour when the rain hit! I was satisfied, for the time being, with the setup! Also, the beach was quite sanded in this week!👍👍

20200911_211648.jpg

• Like 5

I had looked on Ebay for used coils, but the prices were so close to those on MD.com for new, that it was actually cheaper with the freebies i got for spending $600 to buy with them; and have the warranty, and ability to return if i have any issues with them!👍👍

Got out again today with the G2+ and 13" Ultimate again! Read the manual, and watched a few YouTube videos for startup! 

This is the beach i last used the Nox 800 at, when the erosion was better! But this was more of a testing run, than a hunting run! Good thing, because there wasn't much to find! A lot of sand had returned!

It tuned pretty well, considering i was using it in the wet sand and a few inches of water! Any more than that, and the detector would overload! The farther i got from the water, the more stable it got! As long as i didn't bump the coil on the beach, i was able to keep the gain up almost to max! I did have to keep rinsing the coil off every few minutes, because my walking kept loading the coil with wet sand, to where it felt like i was swinging a couple of bricks! You would think with the very thin profile of the 13", that it would slide right off! No! Just kept building up! About the only thing i have left to do is mount my counterweight on it, that i had on the Nox! 

Next up will be the Nel 3.5×6.5 on it, in a local trashy park; and or beach! Stay tuned!!👍👍

20200914_151843.jpg

• Like 2

Hello all,

I got out this afternoon on the receding tide, at a nearby beach to see how the waves were affecting the beach! No cuts, but they were pulling sand to the south at a decent rate! Beach was wide and flat,  tilting to the water!

I used the G2+ with the stock "pinky" coil today! It did not come with a coil cover, so i ordered one, and got it a few days ago! It worked great, with the only falsing being when i hit it on the sand, or a wave hit it! Here's an hour and a half of hunting, with one other detectorist out near by!👍👍

20200921_180451.jpg

20200921_180629.jpg

20200921_180709.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

How did the MXT do for you?

Do you still have & use it?