More On The Garrett Apex And New Test In Iron With Improvements

I said I was done with the videos about the Apex but I had to do one more that does show some improvement on the in-line nail coin test. I have no problem admitting that sometimes there's a better way to do things, I would like to see Garrett succeed just as much the next guy, so anything that shows improved performance is welcome. If you're only interested in those results skip to 2:46 in the video.

FYI Monte Berry posted somewhat of a review on metaldetectingforum.com that pretty much matches what I've been saying about the Apex. He's also the one who suggested using iron audio off for the best results. Monte does pretty thorough tests and misses very little. You can see his comments here Apex comments

The rest of the video addresses some of the comments made on Facebook about my previous videos. The only link I posted to the video was on this forum but someone posted it to an Apex users group and let the fun begin. You'd think I killed their favorite dog. It is what is. So i'm sure someone will find this video and post it there as well, not going to be me though. If people watch it at least they will know where I'm coming from. 

• Like 4

It looks like the Apex is a good detector with a nice feature set for the money. Nothing earth shattering, just a base to build on for future models. A great detector for people who might normally buy an Ace, and placing it as they have at the top end of the Ace series looks entirely appropriate. Despite disappointment from those comparing to other brands, the machine makes complete sense as part of the Garrett ecosystem. I’m sure they will sell plenty.

• Like 5

Abenson, if you do a test video of a certain detector, then it is clear that this video may not suit every detector, because people have different experiences and mindsets ... even if you do a perfect video test .. so someone may not like it at all. ..

I know what I'm talking about ... because a few days ago I had to fight with the colleages Mike and Jack- from the YT test channel "Top Digin"   ,,,,  I have to fight with the help of Facts and Experiences..against  several Enemies who did not like the truth of 2D and 3D separation tests of some tested detectors..These tests they are also more demanding because the terrain is also quite mineralized.

For me, such an Apex video is instructive, because I can see a bit and also analyze at what position in terms of depth detection and separation, this detector is located.

Thus it is possible to see the advantages as certain shortcomings of the detector model..and what can be improved ..

A colleague  detects from a GTI 2500 for several years and he has nice results ,,,  

IMG_20200719_202029 (2).jpg

• Like 5

This comes from the man himself, very interesting......

Monte wrote:

This test was done the other day by my friend in Utah using the Apex and a Simplex + w/5X9½ DD and then using an F19 w/10" elliptical DD coil, just to keep search coils sizes as close as possible to the Apex's 6X11 DD 'Viper' coil. I posted some corrections needed because I saw he was using Iron Audio activated in the ZERO mode, and that is going to mess up the performance and target response audio. I poste here on Friendly Metal Detecting Forum as well as on my AHRPS dot ORG Forms under Garrett Detectors.

Yesterday, Friday, he gave me a call and we talked detectors or a good hour-and-a-half and he's getting a NBPT 'kit' from me because his was also a computer printed layout. The link you posted was done by Steve Moore after seeing the videos of my friend's test, but what I observed was a printed-out NB test sheet that looked to be a little larger than the actual 'official' NB. That would alter the performance in favor of the Apex, and fair-should-be-fiar in doing test.

I called Garrett to talk with Steve but he was out, so I left a long message for him. Several detector manufacturers have requested my NBPT 'kit' over the past five years, and I left Steve know I will be mailing one out to Steve/Garrett on Tuesday after this holiday weekend. They will then also have an exact duplicate of this testing set-up for 'separation' and iron trash performance.

Originally Posted by kajunman: That looks better than the other test I've seen. Like any detector you have to learn the nuances. Good showing in this video.

It was similar, but several tests, such as Steve's at Garrett, were not using the same test because their print-outs were not-to-scale and the Apex worked better on Steve's test than mine does on my tests.

You're quite correct, that every detector will have it's nuances, and we should learn their strengths and weaknesses, and often that can be influenced, favorably-or-not, by the size, shape and type of coil we are using. In this test case, Garrett needs to bring us a smaller-size search coil. I'd like a round-shaped coil in a 4½' to 5½" diameter.

And this is the test done by Steve Moore from Garrett yesterday September 4th, 2020 with the not to scale NBT and wider nail spacing in the coin-nail test.  Sending out the big boys to CTA?????????

• Like 2

Regardless of nail board scales and iron volume levels, the original comparative tests speak for themselves because the playing field was level for all the detectors shown.  Also, I believe 3D tests and demos are more informative (but Monte's test board still provides a useful reference point). 

People are splitting hairs and arguing over shades of gray but you can't change the fact that Garrett knew what they were doing by placing it in the Ace Class.  And it is apparent they have some work to do to improve recovery speed against their flagship competition.

I appreciate abenson's tests for what they are: informative and unbiased.  They are not designed to win pissing contests and arguments between small minded individuals with oversized egos.  Get over it, fanboys.

People need to stop getting offended by the technical reality about their toys and just go detecting.

It is not a failure and it is not "the one" (no  one detector is btw).  It's a solid entry to low-mid range value detector that will make a lot of people happy with their choice...no more, no less.

• Like 8

I rarely have seen any metal detector company besides Nokta Makro respond so quickly to some adverse but unbiased field testing.

There is a lot that is really good about the internet, YouTube and especially this fair forum.

Nobody is butt hurt except Garrett and some customers with high expectations who already bought their APEX or it is in the mail.

It really is a perfectly good entry level detector. Is it worth between $400 and $500............???????

• Like 6

Like any detector, it's what your willing to pay!  I have no room to be critical, i just traded my EQ 800 for a New Whites MXT Pro!

I'm hopeful for the Apex! And time will tell if they have a winner with the price, and it's positioning in their line, and the line of competitors! It's just not for me in it's current configuration, and stage of development!

Like I've stated before, I will look at an AT Waterproof (Truly Waterproof!!) Salt water friendly, version that can accept software updates; more seriously!  If and when they bring one to market!👍👍

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Jeff McClendon said:

It really is a perfectly good entry level detector. Is it worth between $400 and $500............???????

I think it is if you are shopping a Garrett specifically, or a made in the U.S. detector at least.

Garrett Ace 400 = $339

Garrett Ace Apex = $424

Garrett AT Pro = $552

That’s a pretty big jump from $339 to $552 and Garrett needed something to fill the gap. Looked at from within Garrett World, it all makes perfect sense.

• Like 5

It all seems to me that you buy one if you like the 'sound' of it.  If that sound (the hype AND the tones) is pleasing to your ears and gives you lots of feedback then you will have fun and find goodies.

I'm not going to take away my detecting time trying to figure out how to save one or two hundred dollars or even more on the purchase of a metal detector.  My 'float' on doing this is just not that tight.