Not 1 Piece Of Gold

Don't mean to state the obvious, but is it possible that this mine produced a form of gold that isn't picked up by a metal detector?  Your photos show that someone went to a lot of trouble, presumably for something more than just hope, as you hypothesize.  Also, is it out of the question that they mined a different metal?  Then again, I suppose if they weren't mining a precious metal you would be able to figure that out from the extent and detail (or lack thereof) in the workings.

That drift mine looks a heck of alot like the mine a ways up in Cougar Gulch. If that is the case, you won't find anything in there Allen. I spent more than two hours in there detecting with the Gold Monster and my friend was using an SDC 2300. However, my other friend who was with us found a one ounce specimen, mainly gold. Large thick globs of gold to be exact, the year before. If it is in Cougar, then the gold is very much visible and it is both fed from veins the old timers cleaned out and an tertiary river channel. I found where it is still feeding it as I found the gravels on the saddle on the ridge two years ago. I heard you gave up gold detecting Allen.?

• Like 1

Yah Allen, I'm talking about Murray Idaho. Cougar Gulch. Right close to town.