Backpacker Gold Hound

Looking for recommendations on a reliable backpacker model for small nugget/hardrock detecting. likely will be charging it on portable solar for extended hikes. 

I'll be in remote country over scree fields, rocks, peaks and creeks far from wheeled and motor transportation.

I have the Mine lab 5000, but it is a bit to heavy for my adventurous soul.  the 5k works great around home country. 

Possibly a Nox with the 6'' coil and collapsible shaft which folds down ultra small enough for a backpack.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Caribou Country said:

likely will be charging it on portable solar for extended hikes.

4 hours ago, AU_Solitude said:

SDC 2300 for me hands down.

Will the solar chargers work with the SDC 2300?  Most PI's drink juice like it's going out of style.

Just now, GB_Amateur said:

Will the solar chargers work with the SDC 2300?  Most PI's drink juice like it's going out of style.

4 C batteries can be charged by solar just as well as any battery powered VLF's unless I am missing something. A solar panel and charger is already extraneous bulk regardless of the detector. You can also get lithium adapters for the small lithium cells that most definitely are easy to charge and you can bank a solid 6-8 hours of detecting off of.

• Like 1

The Gold Bug Pro;  super lite weight and probably breaks down better than any other VLF,  used it backpacking/prospecting for years. Plus it runs off a singel 9v battery so bringing along a couple spares means no battery/weight hastles or need for recharging equipment.  Kinda sorry I sold it as it worked so well in this capacity.....actually thinking of buying another one just for the pack.

Switched over to the Monster for the same purpose,  breaks down OK for inside the pack but the GB Pro still took up less space. Also I  carry more batteries as well. 

Both work well for this situation,  just my experience.

Maybe the XP Orx, the lightest weight and many frequencies to choose from. Although I haven't tried one yet, one forum member, at least, has posted great pics here; name of MannyScoot. Can charge it with AA batteries.